Need help with first/middle combinations for baby, Jane.

I am expecting our second daughter in a few weeks and we are still undecided on the name. Our 17 month old is [name]Violet[/name] [name]Claire[/name].

We have decided we are going to call this baby [name]Jane[/name].

[name]Violet[/name] and [name]Jane[/name].

Since [name]Violet[/name] is named after my husband’s grandmother, I really feel that I want this baby to have a name with familial signifigance as well. However, we aren’t crazy about any of our family names paired with [name]Jane[/name].
They are: [name]Marie[/name], L (the letter only - ex. [name]Jane[/name] L K****is), Adaleen, [name]Charity[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Nora[/name].

We [name]DO[/name] love the name [name]Nora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - however, I am a bit hesitant due to what I believe is [name]Nora[/name]'s surging popularity. Also, I am concerned about the confusion of calling the baby only by her middle name (school, teams, etc), and I really wanted to use [name]Jane[/name] as the first name as it ‘feels’ so much more common as a middle name. (Maybe that is silly).

One thing we had thought of was to combine two family names - [name]Marie[/name] + l. And call her [name]Jane[/name] [name]Mariel[/name]. (I think [name]Marielle[/name] is the more common spelling) [name]Do[/name] you folks think the signifigance of the name gets lost when altered?

I love your daughter’s name, and I adore [name]Jane[/name], too! :slight_smile:

[name]Marie[/name]:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Marielle[/name] (I love this, and just saw that you like [name]Mariel[/name]…) :slight_smile:

L:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]

Adaleen:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Adelia[/name]/[name]Adeline[/name] (not the best flow…)
[name]Jane[/name] Avaline (not the best flow…)
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Rosaleen[/name] (Irish name)

[name]Nora[/name]:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name]

[name]Charity[/name]:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Clemency[/name]

I personally don’t think that the significance of a name is diminished when it’s updated to your preferences, because in the end you’re still honoring your loved one. I’m named after my grandma via her initials, for example.

I think [name]Nora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is beautiful, but I personally share your issues with using a middle name as a child’s first name. That said, people do it all the time without trouble, so I wouldn’t give up on [name]Nora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] just yet. I also love [name]Jane[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name]. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Edited: To add a few more ideas… :slight_smile:

I think [name]Jane[/name] is a great first name.

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] would be a nice substitute for [name]Nora[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Charity[/name] sounds cute to me
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] is similar to Adaleen but a better match with [name]Jane[/name] in my opinion
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] was already meantioned and is beautiful
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Leona[/name]

And my favorite:
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Leonora[/name] - - - covers “L” and “[name]Nora[/name]”!!

Are two mn’s an option? [name]Jane[/name] is such a short name, I don’t think it would be too much.

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Lila[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Lia[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Lola[/name] [name]Marie[/name]

Good luck!

I’m so happy to see someone else using [name]Jane[/name] as a first name – that is our daughter’s name ([name]Jane[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] - the [name]Audrey[/name] is after a dear friend/mentor) and we know of no others where we live. We do know a [name]Nora[/name] [name]Jane[/name] though! Very cute name, but I really like [name]Jill[/name] and [name]Jemma[/name]'s suggestions. I think the three syllable middle name ending in an a sounds really good - [name]Jemma[/name]'s three name combinations accomplish this too – something to soften the strong and straightforward [name]Jane[/name] (and strong and straightforward is what I most love about [name]Jane[/name]!).

I love the name [name]Jane[/name] too! Funny enough, my first daughter was very close to being [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Jane[/name], but on the last week we decided on [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Violet[/name]!

Part of me wants to pair a very classic name with [name]Jane[/name]:

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Lauren[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]

and the other part of me wants something a little more unexpected…

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Estella[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Savannah[/name]

etc… What do you think?

I agree that [name]Jane[/name] deserves the first spot rather than the middle. It’s much fresher up front.

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Isadora[/name] is one of my favorites.

Have you thought of other [name]Mary[/name]/[name]Marie[/name] variations besides [name]Mariel[/name] (which is lovely)?
[name]Mariette[/name]
[name]Marian[/name]
[name]Mariela[/name]
[name]Manette[/name]
[name]Marita[/name]
[name]Maryse[/name]
[name]Marika[/name]

or, as I think someone else mentioned, another name beginning with “[name]Ada[/name]-”

[name]Adalaide[/name]
[name]Adala[/name]
Adalena
[name]Adalia[/name]
[name]Adalina[/name]
[name]Adara[/name]
[name]Adaya[/name]

I think the middle names ending in “-a” work particularly well with [name]Jane[/name].
Good luck!

Have you considered using a family surname as a middle name?

First names in the middle name slot are, of course, beautiful, but last names can go there, too. For example, I have my mother’s maiden name as my middle name. My sister got a family surname that was found on both sides of the family as her middle name. Fortunately, we both like our 1st names so we never needed a middle name as a “backup” name. I don’t think [name]Jane[/name] requires a “backup” either, as a) it is beautiful and b) in an absolute pinch, your daughter could go by [name]Jennie[/name], which is an old-fashioned nn for [name]Jane[/name].

Anyway, using a family surname would be another way to give your daughter a family name. I agree that the choices you gave do not flow that well with [name]Jane[/name], although [name]Jane[/name] [name]Charity[/name] is sweet.

Also, last names as first names are a growing trend in naming.

I forgot to also suggest a feminized version of a masculine family name. There are often great possibilities. If you want help working out the possibilities, let us know …!

I like [name]Jane[/name] [name]Marielle[/name]. At the end of the day the middle name is only used occassionally anyway. I don’t think it matters that much if they are a perfect match. It is more important to honour the relatives that you want to honour.

I had thought about the surname issue as well, especially as my husband’s mother’s family is surname [name]Rowen[/name] and I think it is lovely.

However, we have already honored that portion of the family with my first daughter’s name, [name]Violet[/name].

On the other side of the family the surnames are less ‘attractive’. I happen to like one of them ([name]Dixon[/name]) but since I am from the South originally and now live in the NW, I think my husband doesn’t like the picture it conjures up ([name]Dixie[/name]). The other names are Hornaday (ack!), Carpenter (kinda dull), and then my maiden name is difficult to pronounce and I don’t think it could be made pretty.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Jane[/name], so happy to see it in the fn spot.

I love the suggestions of

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Isadora[/name]
and
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name]

And I love [name]Jane[/name] [name]Mariella[/name], this would be the one for a daughter of mine but if you like the ‘ora’ sound the others are a perfect fit.

Also love [name]Jane[/name] [name]Adeline[/name]

[name]Jane[/name] is a beautiful name. I met a little baby [name]Jane[/name] the other day, it made me so excited to hear this name being used again as a fn.

Great suggestions!

Let see [name]Violet[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and

Some one said [name]Jane[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it with [name]Violet[/name] [name]Claire[/name]!

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Margo[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Nicola[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Morgan[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Hilary[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Mallory[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Irie[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Rosemarie[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Sidonie[/name]

I don’t find [name]Jane[/name] Carpenter dull at all. This name really appeals to me. For me, it’s in the same genre as [name]Taylor[/name], [name]Harper[/name], [name]Carlisle[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Riley[/name], & [name]Reese[/name].