Need honest opinions of this name...

I just recently ran across this name again and I’m loving it…honest opinions please! The name is [name]Afton[/name], for a girl.

I actually like it. It’s a surname, but it has a definite feminine FN feel.

[name]Afton[/name], hmm, [name]Afton[/name], my first impression is that it sounds masculine, but does fit in with a group of currently ‘cool’ choices.

[name]Acacia[/name]
Aalaiyah
[name]Alicia[/name]
[name]Alyse[/name]
[name]Afra[/name]
[name]Aya[/name]

I don’t really believe she would be teased, but she might not like the ‘Afro’ sound, it could bug her personally.

[name]Afton[/name] is the name of a river and I think you could make a really cool sib-set out of that

[name]Afton[/name], [name]Seren[/name], [name]Thames[/name] and [name]Jordan[/name], cool right?

[name]Hope[/name] that helped!

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

I kind of like it. There was an [name]Afton[/name] on Dynasty or the [name]Colby[/name]'s or [name]Dallas[/name] that I remember seeing when I was little.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I never thought of “afro” as teasing material, I was actually worried about the “ton” part…if she grew up to be chubby? [name]Do[/name] you think thats a problem?

I think there will probably be a lot of kids with -ton names in your child’s generation-[name]Leighton[/name], [name]Carston[/name], [name]Anniston[/name]-so that wouldn’t bother me at all. The Afro thing is also a bit far-fetched, [name]IMO[/name]. I think [name]Afton[/name] does have a definite ritz-factor, a la Dynasty, as someone mentioned.

There is a baby girl [name]Afton[/name] in my baby’s playgroup and the name is adorable on her! There is also a lovely poem called “Sweet [name]Afton[/name].” I will admit when I first heard the name it took a few minutes to grow on me, but now I like it.

This name first sounded quite masculine to me, but I think I like it. When paired with a feminine middle name it would work very well on a girl !

It seems too masculine for a girl to me… though today it’d probably be too feminine for a boy too. I don’t see much teasing potential with Afro, or with After (which sounds closer to me), but now that you mention “ton”, it does rhyme with half-ton… not sure whether anyone would see that though. I don’t think it would be a really weird name today, but it’s not a name I care for.

I overheard a woman talking about how she had almost named her daughter [name]Afton[/name]. The reason she decided against it was that she had struggled with her weight as a child and was worried that if her daughter was overweight, the kids might tease her with “Half-ton [name]Afton[/name]” jokes. I personally think this is a bit of a stretch. I got the impression that she was more concerned about naming her daughter something that was, at the time, “different.” So she ended up with a skinny daughter named [name]Jessica[/name]. I thought I would pass it along.

I know an early 20something girl named Affitin (prn Aff-tin) so very similar. She loves her name! She’s a super adorable sorority girl and I’ve never heard of anyone teasing her about her name.