Need honest opinions!

See the results of this poll: Do you like the name Maayan Dahlia?

Respondents: 34 (This poll is closed)

• Yes! What a pretty name!: 2 (6%)
  • I like Maayan for the first name, but not Dahlia.: 0 (0%)
  • I like Dahlia for the middle name, but not Maayan.: 22 (65%)
  • I don’t like it at all, keep looking.: 10 (29%)

Hey there, and congrats on baby girl!

So, here’s the thing. I’m liking the contrast of super-feminine [name]Dahlia[/name] (a really on-trend nature name - yay!) with the unisex-sounding Maayan. That’s great! But, and it’s a big but, Maayan both looks and sounds like Mayan, and I think that’s a bit odd. Actually, I think it’s really odd! I know Maayan isn’t quite pronounced like Mayan, but as you mentioned, why wouldn’t people think to pronounce it that way? I really worry that people will hear your daughter’s name and thing, “Huh. Why did those people name their daughter Mayan? And why did they spell it wrong?!” Uh oh.

What can you do about it? Well, you could ignore the thoughts of others, deal with the mispronunciations and misspellings that are sure to come, and name your daughter Maayan [name]Dahlia[/name] just like your husband wants. You could use the similar-sounding [name]Mayim[/name], famous via [name]Mayim[/name] Bialik, instead of Maayan; it’s Hebrew, not Israeli, but it’s got a nice “water” meaning. Or, you could try another Israeli name that doesn’t have a peculiar association and likely pronunciation problems, such as [name]Micha[/name] (“who is like God”), [name]Revka[/name] (“servant of God”), [name]Rimona[/name] (“pomegranate”), [name]Sarit[/name] (“princess”), or [name]Sarita[/name] (“princess”). I’ll admit that [name]Sarita[/name] is my favorite simply because (1) I’ve got a sister named [name]Sarah[/name], (2) it’s unusual yet familiar without trying too hard, (3) it’s got a great meaning, and (4) it’s got the perky [name]Sari[/name] nickname! Winner!

Best of luck to you!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I would reverse them and go with [name]Dahlia[/name] Maayan. That way you can avoid the pronunciation issues and still honor your husband’s roots.

I really like both lemon’s and pansy’s suggestions. There’s a blog post about Israeli baby names: Israeli Baby Names | Nameberry
From that list I like [name]Keren[/name] to go with [name]Dahlia[/name]. I knew a [name]Yael[/name] growing up so the name is familiar to me but I know she stuggled with pronunciation issues in our Oklahoma town. It probably depends on the community where you live.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions so far! We probably would reverse the two names, except our last name starts with D and I think it’s just too much of the same thing…

I’d like to second a previous poster’s suggestion of switching the two names despite the alliteration. I think alliterative names can work really well if done properly. For example, names like [name]Barbara[/name] [name]Bush[/name], [name]Michael[/name] [name]Moore[/name], [name]Pablo[/name] [name]Picasso[/name], and [name]Marilyn[/name] [name]Monroe[/name] have a pleasant bounciness to them from the alliteration rather than a silly sound. Of course, it depends on specifics and I don’t know your last name, but if it contains different sounds and is a different number of syllables from [name]Dahlia[/name], it could definitely work.

I think Maayan is too foreign looking/sounding for Americans, especially if your last name is also difficult to pronounce. I’ve been a name nerd for years and I’d never heard it before and had absolutely no clue how to pronounce it at first glance. I do think it’s a good name and I like it for the same reasons you do (exotic, interesting, stunning on paper) but I think the confusion it would cause definitely outweighs its good points. I also tried pronouncing it the way you said (mah-YAHN) and it kind of sounded like “my yawn” to me.

i have a friend who names their girl Maayan. Had never heard of it before. they pronounce it mah-ah-YAHN. and she ends up going by Mah-YAHN-ie. i think if you are bold enough to deal with silly americans not knowing what to do with it, it’s a gorgeous name. i believe they used the middle name [name]Elsa[/name]. i love the name [name]Dahlia[/name] as well, but that is a lot of [name]AH[/name] sounds in one name. i think it depends on your last name too. good luck!