Need input on naming after late family members

I’m looking for input on naming DS #2. My sister passed away when we were young and I’ve wanted to name my first daughter after her ever since ([name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]). Fast forward to a few years ago…my mother was diagnosed with cancer when I was in my first trimester and passed away just a few weeks before my first child, DS1, was born. We had shared his name with her before she died - my maiden name as one of his twovmiddle names.

So here we are awaiting the arrival of DS2. DH and I love the name [name]Rowan[/name] and it has a special tie and memory to my mother (any onebremember the [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Quimby[/name] books?). We plan on using my maiden name again as a middle name but I’m struggling on a second middle name. We’d like something that’s light, maybe ends with a Y to balance out the other names.

Here’s my dilema, should I try to come up with something in memory of my sister? Or save it for a future child whether its a boy or girl?As of now we plan on having three children but who knows what could happen in life and if I’l ever get a daughter to name after my sister.

Thoughts?

If you’re definitely having three kids, just save [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] for your next baby. If it’s a boy again, then you will figure out something!

However, if you’re ready to use it now, here are some middle names: [name]Laurent[/name], Laurant, [name]Lauren[/name].

[name]Rowan[/name] Laurant XX XX.

I think [name]Laurence[/name] would be a cute option to honor your sister should you have just boys. If you have your heart set on [name]Laura[/name] for a little girl, I would wait.

I don’t remember a [name]Rowan[/name] in the [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Quimby[/name] books, but [name]Ramona[/name] anagrams minus a to [name]Roman[/name]. :slight_smile:

If you’re set on [name]Rowan[/name], then perhaps you could choose two MN’s that start with L and E. Or how about something that is similar to [name]Elizabeth[/name]? [name]Elias[/name], for instance? [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Elias[/name] is a nice name, I think. :slight_smile: Either way, I think you should save the name [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] for your girl, because it means so much to you.

As to -y ending names…the only ones I could think of were 2 syllables, and [name]Rowan[/name] is already 2, so I’m not sure you’d want anything I thought of! :frowning:

I loved the [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Quimby[/name] books. What is the connection between [name]Rowan[/name] and the books? I think [name]Quimby[/name] could work as a middle name. My other ideas are [name]Ellery[/name] or [name]Hilary[/name]. Good luck!

I like [name]Rowan[/name] Laurant - and you could still name a future daughter [name]Lauren[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name].

I had debated on using [name]Delaney[/name] nn [name]Laney[/name] for my daughter as I had really wanted to use the name [name]Lane[/name] for a future son, to honor my dad. I decided to honor my dad with my daughter’s name rather than take the gamble of waiting for a future son that may never happen. I say honor your sister with this child. However I have some fertility issues so that factors into my feelings.

I also feel siblings can share the same middle name or have very similar middle names so I don’t see why you couldn’t honor your sister with a future daughter even if you honor her with this child’s name.

Im a little confused about the [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Quimby[/name] connection as well, I dont remember a character named [name]Rowan[/name].

Thanks for your thoughts. [name]Rowan[/name] is a stretch from [name]Ramona[/name] but it reminds me of it ( and DH and I prefer it to [name]Roman[/name]). My sister and I spent hours curled up in my mom’s lap reading [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Quimby[/name] books. She’d say how I acted like [name]Ramona[/name] and my sister acted like Besus (sp?).

[name]Even[/name] before I was married my mom would say “If you ever want to honor me by naming a child after me, please dont use my name because I’ve never liked it. Use a name that I love like [name]Ramona[/name] or X or X.” Then she’d go on to list names that weren’t my style!

I appreciate the feedback on saving my sister’s name for #3. If we’re blessed with a boy I will figure out how to use it.