Need input on the name MAKAIEL ETHAN...

My wife and I are expecting our first child and we had no idea how challenging it is to come up with a name for our baby boy. Me and my wife’s first name start with the letter ‘M’ and so we wanted to find a name that started with the same letter. My wife came up with the name Makaiel (pronounced Ma-[name]Kyle[/name]) and to be honest, it took a while for me to get used to it, but after saying the name a few times and writing it down and reading it over and over, I can honestly say that it kinda grew on me. I wanted to add a second name because I thought it would sound better. So, I thought about Makaiel [name]Andrew[/name] Hermosilla and Makaiel [name]Ethan[/name] Hermosilla. We asked the opinions of people close to us and most of them liked Makaiel [name]Ethan[/name] Hermosilla. My wife and I would appreciate any feedback that you all may have. Also, we’re open to any other ideas for a name as well. Thanks in advance for your input :slight_smile:

• [name]Marvin[/name]

I like the sound of Makaiel, but I think he’s going to spend a lot of time spelling his name, especially since your last name is longer and on the unusual side. I confess I saw the name in the post’s title and wasn’t sure how to pronounce it: Ma-KEEL, MA-ki-ell, [name]MACK[/name]-il? I do think [name]Ethan[/name] helps to ground Makaiel, but I am afraid that won’t quite solve the spelling/pronunciation problem…

What about another unusual, but more established ‘M’ name?
[name]Malachi[/name] or [name]Malachy[/name]
[name]Maddox[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name] or [name]Maurice[/name]
[name]Marius[/name]
[name]Mattias[/name] or [name]Matteo[/name] (I love this with your last name)
[name]Moises[/name] or [name]Moses[/name]
[name]Moby[/name]

Or I wonder if there’s a way to simplify the spelling of Makaiel? Makail? Makyle? Mckyle? Not having much luck on my own, but maybe someone will suggest a better way…

I would never guess youre trying to get MaKYLE out of that name, I would have guessed something like [name]Mikhail[/name] and I think most people would too. I would choose something less difficult/trendy if I were you. [name]Ethan[/name] is a lovely name though.

I like the sound of Makaiel but that spelling is going to be awful for other people. There’s a real name, [name]Mikhail[/name], that’s the Russian form of [name]Michael[/name] and it’s pronounced mi-kyle. It’s almost the same as your name and since it’s a legitimate name, more people will know how to spell it. Have you considered that?

I like [name]Mikhail[/name]/Makaiel [name]Ethan[/name] better too :slight_smile:

I have to admit, that I first thought Makaiel was a girls name, especially together with Hermosilla, which I also thought was a girls name, since I haven’t seen it before. Took me a second reading to understand that it was a boys name, and that was why you had used the middle names [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Ethan[/name] which are clearly boys. Of course, these are just my thoughts & opinions (:

Suggestions:
[name]Merlin[/name] [name]Ethan[/name] [name]Lysander[/name]
[name]Mikkel[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name]
[name]Mads[/name] [name]John[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]
Malthe [name]Ryan[/name] [name]Joachim[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Eric[/name]
[name]Milo[/name] [name]Dexter[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Maximilian[/name] [name]Ethan[/name] Saxo
[name]Milo[/name] [name]Absalon[/name] [name]James[/name]

[name]Mikhail[/name] would be lovely, and [name]Mikhail[/name] [name]Ethan[/name] sounds fine!

I agree that [name]Mikhail[/name] [name]Ethan[/name] would be lovely! If you’re looking for other “M” names, what about [name]Micah[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name] (or just [name]Max[/name]?), [name]Morgan[/name], [name]Maddox[/name] (could also use [name]Max[/name] as a nn for this, too)… I also love the suggestions of [name]Matthias[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Marius[/name], or [name]Malachi[/name] (nn [name]Mac[/name] or [name]Kai[/name], maybe?).

Good luck!

What about [name]Micajah[/name]? Sorry, but Makaiel just looks like you were trying to be creative with [name]Michael[/name].

I had NO idea how to pronounce it with the Makaiel spelling. [name]Mikhail[/name] is a legitimate Russian name but I fear it will be pronounced mick-hail. It’s still less confusing than Makaiel though. With a long and unusual last name you might consider choosing a first name that is a bit more familiar. There have been some good suggestions here. Also you might like to check out the M section of Nameberry’s name lists, also babynamespedia.com has tons of names.

Thank you all for taking the time to provide your input for me and my wife. Our son’s due date is in [name]June[/name] so I’m sure we’ll continue to think of more names. My wife really wanted to spell Ma-[name]Kyle[/name] as Makyle but I was thinking that people would mistake the name for “Ma-kylie”, which is a girl’s name. So, I suggested to spell the name as Ma-kai-el for several reasons: 1) I thought it would be a little bit easier to pronounce, 2) it’s sounds Hawaiian, 3) I liked the name [name]Makai[/name], which means “who is like God?”, and 4) we wanted the name and spelling to be unique.

Other names that I thought of, but my wife wasn’t fond of them :confused:

1. [name]Micah[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] (I like Micah, and Alexander sounds strong!)
  2. Macaden (this one was just OK to me)

I’m with everyone else, I tried for 5 minutes to figure out how to pronounce it, and still got it wrong. I was thinking you were trying to get a creative spelling for [name]Michael[/name]. If you’re set on that pronounciation, perhaps McKyle. I have friends who have a son named McKye (pn ma-kye). I absolutely love the name [name]Malachi[/name], as well! ([name]Malachi[/name] has a great meaning, too.) [name]Manning[/name], [name]Marsden[/name], [name]Marston[/name], [name]Massai[/name], [name]Massimo[/name], [name]Matisse[/name], [name]Maverick[/name], [name]Mekhi[/name]/Mekhai/McKye, [name]Magnus[/name] and [name]Memphis[/name]. I also know a [name]Mojave[/name] (like the desert). Below are some links I’ve found that have a ton of names, with their meanings, that you might like to look through. Good luck!

http://www.2babynames.com/babyboym.shtml
http://baby-names.familyeducation.com/browse/letter/m

I have a lot of trouble with the spelling. Use Makyle, it sounds and spells correctly without confusion. I also think that [name]Micah[/name] is way way way more handsome than Makyle which to me sounds a little clunky. Your suggestion of Macaden is lovely too, [name]Mac[/name] for short is very attractive for a small boy with alot of spunk. Write your original spelling down on a piece of paper and ask people if they can pronounce it for you, their reactions may change your mind. Good luck : )

I much prefer [name]Makai[/name], seems a lot more straight forward. [name]Makai[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] sounds very handsome. I do prefer Makaiel to Makyle which looks strange to me.

[name]Micah[/name] is one of my favourite boys names, so I love this idea!

If you both love Makaiel then use it but just be aware that you will spend time having to correct people on both spelling and pronunciation. I think [name]Makai[/name] would be straight forward.

There is the name [name]Micaiah[/name] which is a legitimate Hebrew name, meaning ‘Who is like God?’ and I think it’s lovely. What do you think of that? Also, it take out the very trendy ‘k’ out of the name, which screams cheap and trendy to me!!!

Thank you for sharing these links with me! I browsed through briefly and saw a lot of potential names that my wife might like :slight_smile: [name]Hope[/name] we can decide on baby boy’s name soon!