Need name + Bible verse inspo

Hello! [name_m]Reading[/name_m] the birth announcement section of Nameberry over the years, I’ve noticed that many families choose “name verses” or whatever one wants to call them: a Bible verse that has to do with or ties into the baby’s name, possibly imparting blessings or hopes for the child. Sometimes these names have to do with the circumstances of the birth. Hopefully those families that do this will know what I’m talking about:).

And what a beautiful gift to give a child! I’ve decided I’d like to do the same with my three kiddos + one on the way. Any advice for me? [name_m]Just[/name_m] in general, how do you approach this part of the naming? Where do you start looking?

And for anyone who wants to offer Bible verse suggestions, my kids are…
[name_u]Augustine[/name_u] [family surname meaning rabbit or hare]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] [name_m]Nicolai[/name_m]
[Undecided] Joseph/ine (depending on gender)

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

The Bible is a good place to start!

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is the name of [name_u]John[/name_u] the Baptist’s mother, so [name_m]Luke[/name_m] 1 would be a good place to start for that name.

[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] is the name of David’s dad, so that would be in 1-2 [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] for that name.

[name_u]Joseph[/name_u] is both the name of an Old and [name_u]New[/name_u] Testament figure so that would be [name_u]Genesis[/name_u] 37-50 for his whole life and in the [name_u]New[/name_u] Testament there is little about him but it would be in the Gospels as well.

Hopefully this helps! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll start with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]! :blush:

“Pledged to God; pure”

[name_m]Matthew[/name_m] 5:8

[name_u]Blessed[/name_u] are the pure in heart, For they shall see [name_m]God[/name_m].

[name_m]Matthew[/name_m] 6:19-21

[name_f]Do[/name_f] not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rustcdestroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

[name_u]Psalm[/name_u] 16:2

I said to the [name_m]Lord[/name_m], “You are my Lord;
I have no good besides You.”

The idea here being, of course, that purity in heart comes from living a life submitted to [name_m]Christ[/name_m] in faith by God’s grace, a life “pledged to God,” who is the ultimate treasure!

When one’s treasure is God—when they proclaim, as the psalmist— “You are my Lord;
I have no good besides You” (that is, no good apart from Him); when their heart is pledged to Him; then there!

In that special place is where their heart is—the place where they are blessed with the riches of seeing Him through the purity that comes by His work in them!

7 Likes

[name_u]Augustine[/name_u]:

I don’t have much for “rabbit, hare” except for that it was considered an unclean animal for the Jews to eat (assuming the “rabbit” translation is accurate) but that [name_m]God[/name_m] told [name_m]Peter[/name_m] “do not call unclean what I have made clean,” when He was going to send him to [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m], the gentile. So, this could be a symbol of God’s redemption, salvation, and grace that He has extended to all who call on Him in faith and repentance!

Other sources say [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] can also mean “great, magnificent, exalted, venerated.”

[name_m]Job[/name_m] 26:14
“Yet these are just the fringes of His ways [mere samples of His power],The faintest whisper of His voice!Who can contemplate the thunder of His [full] mighty power?”

[name_u]Psalm[/name_u] 8 “How [name_m]Majestic[/name_m] is Your Name!”

O LORD, our [name_m]Lord[/name_m],

how majestic is Your name in all the earth!

You have set Your glory

above the heavens.

2From the mouths of children and infants

You have ordained praiseb

on account of Your adversaries,

to silence the enemy and avenger.

3When I behold Your heavens,

the work of Your fingers,

the moon and the stars,

which You have set in place—

4what is man that You are mindful of him,

or the son of man that You care for him?

5You made him a little lower than the angels;c

You crowned him with glory and honor.

6You made him ruler of the works of Your hands;

You have placed everything under his feet:d

7all sheep and oxen,

and even the beasts of the field,

8the birds of the air and the fish of the sea,

all that swim the paths of the seas.

9O LORD, our [name_m]Lord[/name_m],

how majestic is Your name in all the earth!

7 Likes

Jesse Nicolai “gift; people of victory”

Ephesians 2:4-9

4But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:54-57

54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable and the mortal with immortality,g then the saying that is written will come to pass: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”h

55“Where, O Death, is your victory?

Where, O Death, is your sting?”i

56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!

The idea here being that salvation and victory over sin and death through the Lord, Jesus Christ is an “indescribable gift of God!” And that the “people of victory” are those who have been united to Christ in faith and are reconciled to God the Father through His gracious gift of salvation/redemption!

Joseph/Josephine:

“Jehovah increases/God will increase”

1 Corinthians 3:7

7So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

16All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for [c]instruction in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

These verses together signify God’s work in mankind through His word and by His Spirit, and that it is by His power and leading that we are saved & sanctified!

As for inspiration, I always start with looking up the meaning of the names and then I either remember verses that remind me of those meanings or I search for verses with the word/s (such as “victory bible verses” and pair together the ones that I believe send the most powerful message!)

Were you looking for a first name suggestion for your baby on the way too?

If so, here are some ideas:

Casper “bringer of treasure” (goes along with the message of Joseph)
Dominic “belonging to the Lord”
Evan or Evans “the Lord is gracious” or “God is gracious”
Tobiah/Tobias “the Lord is good” or “God is good”
Benedict “blessed”
Benicio “blessed”
Lazaro “God is my helper/helped by God”
Maceo/Matthias “gift of God”
Lemuel “devoted to God”
Micah/ Micaiah “who is like God?”
Nehemiah “comforted by God”
Obadiah “servant of God”
Simeon “He has heard”
Thaddeus “gift of God”
Theophilus “friend of God”
Uriah “the Lord is my light”
Vincent “conquering”
Zane “God is gracious”

Arcelia “treasure chest” (wisdom and riches and honor/treasures in heaven are from the Lord)
Ozara “treasure, wealth”
Celia “heavenly”
Abigail “my father is joyful”
Allegra “joyous”
Ida “industrious” (“Commit your works to the Lord and your thoughts will be established/plus the verses for Josephine add the “God will increase” your wisdom, understanding, etc as you submit to Him by faith and “commit your works to Him.”)
Joyce “joyous, merry”
Sophia “wisdom”
Anna/Hannah “grace
Priscilla “ancient”
Susannah “lily”
Lilian “lily”
Liliana/Lilianna “lily” or “lily; grace”
Vivienne/Vivian “life”
Beatrice “blessed/she who brings happiness/she who blesses others”

7 Likes

I very much appreciate all your help! And the verses you chose swoon :slight_smile:

I really like how [name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] work together, meaning wise!

1 Like

I particularly like the [name_m]Job[/name_m] verse! I’m thinking of seeing what I can find with words like swift, small, etc. (rabbit attributes?) for the middle name

1 Like

[name_u]Wonderful[/name_u]! I think [name_f]Ida[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is such a pretty pair sound-wise too! If you want more verse inspiration after you choose the first name just tag me in your post, I’d be happy to help :blush:

[name_u]Will[/name_u] do!! We find out baby’s gender on [name_f]Tuesday[/name_f], so then I think I’ll be more in the headspace to pick a first name

1 Like

Exciting!!!

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I didn’t realize you were saying Augustine’s middle means rabbit or hare. This makes more sense to me now!

As for the swift/small verses, for me this calls to mind the word “quickening” (another way of saying “bring to life”) as expressed in this verse:

Young’s Literal Translation
The [name_f]Spirit[/name_f] of [name_m]God[/name_m] hath made me, And the breath of the [name_m]Mighty[/name_m] doth quicken me.

This is [name_m]Job[/name_m] 33:4 and I think it does a great job of tying in both meanings as well (the magnificent/mighty/awesomeness and the picture of a rabbit (swift/quick).

There are more verses on “quickening” here that I think work well if you’re interested:

Well
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]— Gods gift, or, The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] exists
[name_m]Nicolai[/name_m]— victory of the people, also version of [name_m]Nicodemus[/name_m]

When [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] spoke with [name_m]Nicodemus[/name_m]
[name_u]John[/name_u] 3: 16, 17

16 For [name_m]God[/name_m] so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten [name_m]Son[/name_m], that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For [name_m]God[/name_m] sent not his [name_m]Son[/name_m] into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

[name_m]Jesus[/name_m] was Gods gift to the world, and through Him all people in the world may have victory

[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] [name_m]Nicolai[/name_m]
Through the gift is victory

2 Likes

For Elizabeth…

[name_m]Luke[/name_m] 1: 36-37

36 And, behold, thy cousin [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

37 For with [name_m]God[/name_m] nothing shall be impossible.

1 Like

I don’t have any kids, but if I did, I think I would lean toward something [name_m]God[/name_m] was teaching me or reassuring me with throughout the pregnancy. Lately my mind has been riddled with anxiety from structure changes at work, so I think I would probably pick something like 2 [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] 1:7, “For [name_m]God[/name_m] gave us a spirit not of fear, but of power and love and self-control.” [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Psalm[/name_u] 3:3, “But You, O [name_m]Lord[/name_m], are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.”

[name_u]Or[/name_u] maybe a promise or a verse that showed how much [name_m]God[/name_m] delights in my child, like [name_u]Zephaniah[/name_u] 3:17, “The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] your [name_m]God[/name_m] is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing” (man I love this verse!).

Since [name_u]Augustine[/name_u], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] are already kids developing a personality, I would maybe even take parts of who they are and prayerfully search scripture for God’s specific word to them. Are they timid? Maybe their verse is [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] 1:9: “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. [name_f]Do[/name_f] not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] your [name_m]God[/name_m] is with you wherever you go.”

I think I would reserve a promise for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], given her name means “my [name_m]God[/name_m] is an oath/promise” - maybe something like “But they who wait for the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31).

One of my favorite life verses is [name_u]Micah[/name_u] 6:8 - “He has shown you, o man, what is good; and what does the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?”

Is one of them rambunctious? [name_u]Or[/name_u] fearful? Maybe [name_u]Psalm[/name_u] 46:10 would be appropriate: “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted above the nations; I will be exalted in the earth!”

This is also a beautiful verse of blessing: “The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] bless you and keep you; The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace.” (Numbers 6:24-26).

I also think Romans 5:1 is nice “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with [name_m]God[/name_m] by our [name_m]Lord[/name_m] [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] Christ.” [name_u]Or[/name_u] Romans 8:37-39: “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of [name_m]God[/name_m] in [name_m]Christ[/name_m] [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] our Lord.”

[name_m]Just[/name_m] some random ideas; I didn’t go so much based off their names but I do love all these verses and hopefully they can fit their personalities now that they are developing, too. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! [name_f]My[/name_f] scripture knowledge is not what i’d like it to be, so bringing up all these beautiful verses is so helpful!! If you have any more you can keep em coming, but thanks again either way:)

1 Like

@Laxthomps0n I agree, what @ashthedreamer suggested is a wonderful approach too!

(@ashthedreamer I was waiting to see your suggestions, I thought you’d probably have some great ones too!)

1 Like

@Laxthomps0n I love that you’re wanting to do this for your kids, and I love their names. I’ll give you my seven kids’ verses and the thinking behind them, in case that triggers any ideas. (This will be long. :sweat_smile:)

First child

[name_f]My[/name_f] oldest’s name means “pure joy” so we chose [name_u]James[/name_u] 1:2–3 for her — Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

Second child

[name_f]My[/name_f] second’s name means “man of the white fields” so we chose [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] 9:37–38 — Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.”

Third child

[name_f]My[/name_f] third’s first name is [name_u]Zeal[/name_u], so for him we looked for verses with that word in them. His verse is [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] 7:23 — Whatever is commanded by the [name_m]God[/name_m] of heaven, it shall be done with zeal for the house of the [name_m]God[/name_m] of heaven, so that there will not be wrath against the kingdom of the king and his sons.

Fourth child

[name_f]My[/name_f] fourth’s name is [name_m]Simeon[/name_m] and we pray that he’ll be like godly [name_m]Simeon[/name_m] in the gospel of [name_m]Luke[/name_m], so we chose [name_m]Luke[/name_m] 2:25 — And there was a man in [name_u]Jerusalem[/name_u] whose name was Simeon; and this man was righteous and devout, looking forward to the consolation of Israel; and the [name_f]Holy[/name_f] [name_f]Spirit[/name_f] was upon him.

Fifth child

[name_f]My[/name_f] fifth’s name means “out of the water” so we picked [name_u]Psalm[/name_u] 18:16 — He sent from on high, He took me; He drew me out of many waters.
That verse is particularly special because he was born after I had a difficult miscarriage. It’s both a prayer for my son’s life and a testimony of God’s kindness to me and my husband through that time.

Sixth child

[name_f]My[/name_f] sixth’s name means “kingly defender” so we chose [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] 1:17 — Learn to do good; Seek justice, Reprove the ruthless, Defend the orphan, Plead for the widow.

Seventh child

And we chose my seventh’s first name because it means faith, as a testimony of a time when we really needed faith and [name_m]God[/name_m] gave it to us. Her verse is 2 Corinthians 5:7 — For we walk by faith, not by sight.

TL;DR Most of my kids’ name verses are chosen from the meaning of their names and how we want them to grow into or learn from those meanings; for that, I’d put key words into an Bible search engine (like [name_u]Blue[/name_u] Letter Bible) and look through the options that come up.
Some of my other kids were named for the person we want them to emulate; for your kids, that might be a character trait of [name_u]Augustine[/name_u], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_u]Jesse[/name_u], or [name_u]Joseph[/name_u].
And we chose other kids’ verses because of the way [name_m]God[/name_m] had worked in that time; for that, I’d look for verses that had special meaning during that time for you.

I hope that’s helpful somehow!

2 Likes

This is my approach as well! I think it’s a beautiful blessing to bestow on a child. I enjoyed reading about your children’s verses!

2 Likes

Don’t have any children.

But I have many friends who have prayed about names and have asked [name_m]God[/name_m] for direction, and for prophetic words on who he has intended them to be - their original design and named them based off that.

I was always under the impression [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] meant venerable/exalted… so you could look for bible verses about [name_m]God[/name_m] being exalted. E.g.

“Humble yourselves before the [name_m]Lord[/name_m], and he will lift you up.” [James 4:10]

“I will exalt you, my [name_m]God[/name_m] the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever.” [Psalm 145:1]

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] you could look for verses about God’s promises/paths/faithfulness e.g.

“For all the promises of [name_m]God[/name_m] in Him are Yes, and in Him [name_u]Amen[/name_u], to the glory of [name_m]God[/name_m] through us.” [2 Corinthians 1:20]

[name_u]Jesse[/name_u] [name_m]Nicolai[/name_m] - [name_m]God[/name_m] beholds and may surprise us but that doesn’t mean we’re a surprise to him…

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” [name_u]Psalm[/name_u] 139:13-14

Joseph/ine…may the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] add/increase…

“The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] bless you and keep you; the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
‭‭Numbers‬ ‭6‬:‭24‬-‭26‬ ‭NIV‬‬

1 Like

Thank you for taking such time to reply! Very helpful and yes sparked lots of ideas. I’ll post again here when we’ve decided:)

1 Like