Need opinions: How popular is Adelaide going to get?

We just found out we’re pregnant and due this summer. (Yay!) We [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Adelaide[/name], but are worried about all the Nameberry predictions that its popularity will rise (is rising?) very quickly. DH and I both have quintessential 80s names that were very popular when we were born, and want to give our LO a name that is easily recognizable but not popular. So, first question is, how popular do you think [name]Adelaide[/name] will get? Second question, how many Adelaides do you know? Are they young or old? Third and final question: I always thought [name]Adelaide[/name] was pronounced with a soft “A” at the beginning, but I’ve heard a few people pronounce it “[name]Ada[/name]-laide” – like the name “[name]Ada[/name]” at the beginning. [name]How[/name] do you pronounce it? Thank you SO much in advance.

Hmm, I would pronounce it with the soft ‘a’, I haven’t heard it any other way.

I think it will get popular, but not top 10 popular in my opinion. I know one person considering naming her baby [name]Adelaide[/name], only because she likes the nn [name]Addie[/name] but doesn’t want to use the trendy [name]Addison[/name]. I think it will appeal to a lot of people looking for a classic/vintage/timeless name, but with a fresh and cute edge. I adore the name. I see both [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] getting popular, but I don’t think they will appeal to everyone. My own husband for one, lol – I suggested both of them during my pregnancy because I love them, and he gave me an immediate NO.

Keep in mind that even the most popular of names are not as popular as names were in the 80s. The number of girls holding the #1 spot today is far fewer than the number of girls holding the #1 spot in 1984. I hope that makes sense. So even if you give your child a top 10 name, they almost certainly won’t be in a class with 4 other girls having that same name. If you both love [name]Adelaide[/name], don’t let potential popularity hold you back. After all, if it doesn’t shoot up the charts in popularity, won’t you always regret NOT using it?

Oh, to answer your other questions…
I know one [name]Adelaide[/name], she is in her 80s. But I also know two people who are expecting a baby and have [name]Adelaide[/name] on their short list (top 3 names) – one of them I already mentioned.

I’m with pp. I’ve only heard the soft ‘a.’ I also don’t think you let the mere threat of popularity scare you off a name you love. But then, I might be biased; I love [name]Adelaide[/name]. :slight_smile:

Question 1, I think it’s gonna get popular. It’s a gorgeous name and I know a lot of people like it. [name]Don[/name]'t let it stop you from using it though. You both love it (and hey everyone will love her name!!) but really it’s great. :slight_smile: It’s not very popular where I live but I see it a lot online.

Question 2, I don’t know any. Actually. Wow. I don’t get out much though! :wink: I do know a couple Addisons.

Question 3, I pronounce it with a soft “a”. I don’t like it with [name]Ada[/name] at the beginning! :?

We almost named my dd [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Seraphina[/name]. I loved it My family and friends thought it was strange but I didn’t care. Well I change d my mind with 5 weeks left til due date and named her [name]Kaia[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]. Now its a cruel joke among fam and friends "just think shecouldve been an [name]Adelaide[/name]…i don’t appreciate the comments and still think its a solid choice. But its def not mainstream and not likely ever will be

It has had a recent spike in popularity, but I seriously doubt that it’ll be anywhere near the top 10 in the next 10 years. That said, you can never tell with popularity. Maybe [name]Adelaide[/name] simply falls out of the top 1000 in a few years and doesn’t come back, maybe [name]Mariah[/name] [name]Carey[/name] chooses it for one of her twins and it’s #1 in 3 years. Or perhaps you live in a very naming-forward area and there are three across town from you, but there’s not an [name]Isabella[/name] in sight. You don’t know, with [name]Adelaide[/name] or any other name. For that reason, I’d say pick it anyway. If it’s a name you love, that’s the most important thing. You should pick a name you’ll like whether your child is the only one you’ll ever meet or one of three on the block.

If you call her [name]Addie[/name], she will probably be in class with a few other Addies, Abbies, and Maddies. But as pp mentioned, “popular” these days is not nearly as bad as it was in the 80s! I like [name]Adelaide[/name] a lot, and you can actually go with [name]Heidi[/name] for the nn. I was considering [name]Adele[/name] for my daughter.

It should be pronounced with a short a. If it’s not very popular in your area, though, people might pronounce it wrong.