Need some help refreshing my list

Hello everyone,
We are expecting our first and are keeping the gender a surprise. We had a list of eight names for each gender and whilst we are still loving most of our boys pick, our girls list is seeming a bit dull. I was wondering if anyone really likes any of the names on our existing list, and also if there are any suggestions of other names we might like.
We don’t really have a specific style, we like names that are a bit different and have a particular like for names from around the Edwardian era- though not exclusivly

This is our current list:
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Charla[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Caldonia[/name]
[name]Lura[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Dasha[/name]
[name]Tully[/name]

Sorry but a lot of the names on your list look incomplete to me or like hasty feminisations of boys names. I really like [name]Ida[/name] though!

What about these:
[name]Aida[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Alba[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Etta[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Edie[/name]
[name]Irma[/name]
[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Ayla[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]

Any catch your eye? [name]Jess[/name]

All of them are actually quite nice. [name]Willa[/name] especially.

[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Charla[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Caldonia[/name]
[name]Lura[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Dasha[/name]
[name]Tully[/name]

I’m going to give you my very honest opinion of these names. I will mention the ones that really don’t seem usable to me–[name]Lura[/name], [name]Dasha[/name] and [name]Tully[/name]. The problem is that they sound like nicknames, and seem to be lacking like the previous poster mentioned. If you like something different sounding, what about [name]Lyra[/name] instead of [name]Lura[/name]? It’s much brighter and more interesting [name]IMO[/name]. Instead of [name]Tully[/name], what about [name]Matilda[/name] nn [name]Tillie[/name]? You mentioned that your names are sounding dull to you, and I do think that is the problem here. They need a little sparkle. For [name]Caldonia[/name], I would do Caladonia instead. It sounds instantly more feminine, and you could call her [name]Calla[/name] or [name]Callie[/name]. Without the A it sounds much more masculine to me. As for [name]Ida[/name], I like [name]Ada[/name] much better, and [name]Charlotte[/name] instead of [name]Charla[/name].

I really like the name [name]Charla[/name] :slight_smile:
I also like te pp’s idea of [name]Lyra[/name].

What about…
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Elsie[/name]
[name]Garnet[/name]
[name]Lula[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Vada[/name]

Oh… and I think [name]Caldonia[/name] is unusual but pretty… but it would often be mistaken for [name]Caledonia[/name] [name]IMO[/name]

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

“I’m going to give you my very honest opinion of these names. I will mention the ones that really don’t seem usable to me–Lura, Dasha and Tully. The problem is that they sound like nicknames, and seem to be lacking like the previous poster mentioned. If you like something different sounding, what about Lyra instead of Lura? It’s much brighter and more interesting IMO. Instead of Tully, what about Matilda nn Tillie? You mentioned that your names are sounding dull to you, and I do think that is the problem here. They need a little sparkle. For Caldonia, I would do Caladonia instead. It sounds instantly more feminine, and you could call her Calla or Callie. Without the A it sounds much more masculine to me. As for Ida, I like Ada much better, and Charlotte instead of Charla.”

I agree with you on every aspect, except for about [name]Ida[/name] (I love [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Ida[/name], haha). I agree wtih the idea of [name]Charlotte[/name], Caladonia, [name]Matilda[/name] “[name]Tillie[/name]” and [name]Lyra[/name]. Alternatively, you could also consider using “[name]Mathilde[/name]” instead of [name]Matilda[/name]. (:

Here are my suggestions:

[name]Lenore[/name]
[name]Noemie[/name]
[name]Magda[/name]
[name]Ursula[/name]/ [name]Ursuline[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] (for nicknames; [name]Posy[/name], [name]Josie[/name], etc.)
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Opaline[/name]
[name]Eglantine[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name]
[name]Rowena[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Amaya[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
Viatrix
Lupine
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]/ [name]Violette[/name]/ [name]Violetta[/name]/ [name]Violeta[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Dolores[/name]
[name]Iolanthe[/name] (“[name]Io[/name]”?)
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Tea[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] (“[name]Nell[/name]”?)

I love [name]Willa[/name] and [name]Lilac[/name]!!!

I also think [name]Dasha[/name] is cool and I haven’t heard [name]Charla[/name] before but it’s interesting :slight_smile: I’m assuming it’s pronounced like [name]Shar[/name]-la? [name]Lura[/name]'s pretty cute too.

[name]Caldonia[/name] sounds a bit like a medication or something to me sorry :S [name]Ida[/name] is a little too old fashioned in my opinion and almost has a manly sound. Same with [name]Tully[/name], according to nameberry it’s a boys name and I know it as a last name so I find it kind of masculine on a girl.

So I would keep:

[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Dasha[/name]
[name]Charla[/name]
[name]Lura[/name]

And replace [name]Caldonia[/name], [name]Ida[/name] and [name]Tully[/name] with:

[name]Caldonia[/name] - [name]Callista[/name], [name]Calla[/name], Caliopa, [name]Cressida[/name], [name]Ionia[/name], [name]Jessenia[/name], [name]Antonia[/name], [name]Lavinia[/name], [name]Dania[/name], [name]Virginia[/name] or [name]Annia[/name]
[name]Ida[/name] - [name]Eda[/name], [name]Vida[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Ionia[/name], [name]India[/name], [name]Indigo[/name], [name]Isis[/name], [name]Irina[/name], [name]Ingrid[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Darcy[/name], [name]Dana[/name], [name]Danika[/name], [name]Tilda[/name] or [name]Frieda[/name]
[name]Tully[/name] - [name]Tula[/name], [name]Tullia[/name], [name]Tulip[/name], [name]Ulla[/name], [name]Talullah[/name], [name]Romilly[/name], [name]Everly[/name], [name]Thessaly[/name], [name]Tabitha[/name], [name]Thea[/name], [name]Tess[/name]/[name]Tessa[/name], [name]Theodora[/name], [name]Thomasina[/name], [name]Thora[/name], [name]Tanith[/name] or [name]Theda[/name]

Good luck!

Your names in general tend to veer slightly utilitarian and away from conventionally “pretty.” [name]Just[/name] a few notes & then some suggestions.

I really like [name]Willa[/name].
I do like [name]Tully[/name]; I’ve seen it as a nn for [name]Natalie[/name].
While everyone’s tastes differ, I would advise against [name]Lura[/name] – it’s so close to “lurid.” I like the suggestion of [name]Lula[/name] better.

[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] (selection from previous list)
[name]Pearl[/name] (as above)
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Tilda[/name]
[name]Vita[/name]
[name]Zelda[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Rowena[/name]
[name]Zora[/name]
[name]Winnifred[/name]

I would love to hear your thoughts on my & others’ suggestions. Your taste in names is different to mine, so I’m interested to see which appeal.

Wow! Thankyou so much for all the replies!!
I’ll have a better look later, but from my brief look at all the names these were the ones that stood out:
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Alba[/name]
[name]Etta[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Garnet[/name]
[name]Vada[/name]
[name]Tilda[/name]
[name]Frieda[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]