Need Some Ideas

So my 10 year old cousin is super excited that I’m expecting, but was terribly sad to realize that he wouldn’t be more than a first cousin once removed (I believe). He is an only child and, with me expecting, it seems to have dawned on him that he’ll never be an uncle (seriously this kid is deep and wise beyond his years).

I’m close with my aunt, his mom, and always have been. I’ve been trying to think of something special I could do for my cousin that’ll make him feel like he’s more than just some relative. I know he’ll be fine even if I do nothing, but he’s a great kid and I’d love to include him somehow.

We don’t do godparents in my family. Plus I feel he doesn’t really fit into the godparent “category”.

Any ideas would be amazing!!

Maybe you could choose an honor name for your child’s middle name that’s similar to your cousin’s name? For example if his name was [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and you had a daughter you could have her middle name be [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]. Or if it was a boy you could have his middle be [name_m]Asher[/name_m] or if you’re uncomfortable with that maybe Ashland or [name_u]Dash[/name_u]? You could also use a nickname that you used to call your cousin for your child. Or if you really want to make him feel special you could have him pick between two names you love, either first or middle, or have him pick a nickname. Otherwise just try to include him as much as possible and allow him to help you with the baby whenever he shows an interest, as long as you’re comfortable with it also.

this is a great idea actually! why not? he would be so proud and pleased! :slight_smile: