Need some middle name help for Elowen, sister of Tallulah Rose...

[name]Hi[/name] Berries,

We are expecting a baby girl in late [name]January[/name] and we are planning to name her Elowen (a Cornish name I discovered on the blog Appellation Mountain - it means elm tree). We’re stumped about a middle name. We’d love something simple - our last name is bizarre and sounds sort of like a name you’d find on a Cone Head from [name]Saturday[/name] [name]Night[/name] Live! Our elder daughter (5 yo) is called [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Rose[/name].

Here are some thoughts so far, and I’d love your input and suggestions!

Elowen [name]Violet[/name] (is it nice or is it silly to have a flower name theme in the middle spot?)

Elowen [name]Kate[/name] (after my sister [name]Caitlin[/name] and my best friend with middle name [name]Kate[/name].)

Elowen [name]Star[/name] (Too new agey? I am really into stars and outer space, and Elowen will probably be an [name]Aquarius[/name], an air sign, and stars somehow seem appropriate!)

More options we’re throwing around:

Elowen [name]Ivy[/name]
Elowen [name]Ondine[/name]
Elowen Miette
Elowen [name]Pearl[/name]
Elowen [name]Faust[/name] (maternal grandmother’s maiden name)

Thanks for your advice!

Elowen [name]Kate[/name]!

Thanks! My sister agrees :wink:

I love Elowen, and [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is gorgeous! They’re both such lyrical names.

I’m usually not one for matchy names, but Elowen [name]Violet[/name] was actually one of my first thoughts, even before your post loaded. It sounds great. I think that Elowen [name]Iris[/name] would be pretty as well. I also like Elowen [name]Ivy[/name] a lot, and I think that Elowen [name]Faust[/name] is pretty cool given your family connection to the name.

The one name that I don’t really like out of your choices is Elowen [name]Star[/name]. I agree that it’s probably too new age-y. I do, however, think that Elowen [name]Estelle[/name] would be kind of gorgeous. I don’t usually really like alliteration either, but I guess Elowen is beautiful enough to make me be willing to break all of my rules.

A few more suggestions, although I don’t know if you need any since you have some absolutely lovely options already:

Elowen [name]Beatrice[/name]
Elowen [name]Coralie[/name]
Elowen [name]Maeve[/name]
Elowen [name]Cecily[/name]
Elowen [name]Adele[/name]
Elowen [name]Verity[/name]
Elowen [name]Lilias[/name]
Elowen [name]Lucy[/name]
Elowen [name]Daphne[/name]
Elowen [name]Margaux[/name]
Elowen [name]Amelie[/name]
Elowen [name]June[/name]
Elowen [name]Carys[/name]
Elowen [name]Ariel[/name]

I love [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and Elowen is beautiful and will make a great sister name. Out of your choices, I love Elowen [name]Kate[/name]! (and bonus points for the family/friend connection!)

Thank you so much guys! Nono, your suggestions are fantastic and I am going to meditate on them a lot (particularly Elowen [name]Margaux[/name] and Elowen [name]June[/name]). The 2 votes I’ve received for Elowen [name]Kate[/name] so far is great intel too. Posting on the forums was a good idea! :slight_smile:

I love Elowen and [name]Tallulah[/name] together. You have so many wonderful choices for a middle name for Elowen. [name]Glad[/name] I don’t have to make the choice, but I will offer up my two cents. :wink: Whether it’s worth considering is up to you.

Elowen [name]Violet[/name] - Very beautiful and not silly to pair a tree name and a flower name together. Most people won’t have any idea what Elowen means, so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Elowen [name]Kate[/name] - Family/Close [name]Friend[/name] names always win me over. I love the idea of honoring someone you admire so your child will learn about that person and maybe, want to take one those admirable qualities for himself/herself.

Elowen [name]Star[/name] - As others have said, a little too new-agey for me, but some people look at that as a positive thing :slight_smile: I do like the astrological element names so what about Elowen [name]Celeste[/name] or Elowen [name]Selene[/name]?

Elowen [name]Ivy[/name] - Very botanical and pretty.

Elowen [name]Ondine[/name] - I like both of these names separately, but not feeling them together. Something in the “-wen On-” is a little N heavy.

Elowen Miette - [name]How[/name] is Miette said? ME-ette?

Elowen [name]Pearl[/name] - Nice, but something about your other option seem better to me.

Elowen [name]Faust[/name] -I like this a lot (again, family names). If I were you, I’d also consider Elowen [name]Faustine[/name] or Elowen [name]Faustina[/name].

Overall, my favorites are: Elowen [name]Kate[/name], Elowen [name]Faust[/name] (Elowen [name]Faustine[/name]/Elowen [name]Faustina[/name]), Elowen [name]Violet[/name], (Elowen [name]Celeste[/name]), Elowen [name]Ivy[/name]

Dear teacherma,

Thank you for your input! Elowen [name]Celeste[/name] and Elowen [name]Faustine[/name] are wonderful suggestions! I will add these to the mix. I’ve been leaning towards Elowen [name]Kate[/name] or Elowen [name]Violet[/name], but your suggestions have me hooked! :slight_smile:

As for “[name]Violet[/name]”, since it is flower name matchy with [name]Tallulah[/name]'s middle name ([name]Rose[/name]), is that a plus or a minus in your opinion?

[name]Flower[/name] names in the middle aren’t really too matchy in my opinion. Matchiness is really only bothersome to me when people feel that they “have to” keep up with the theme that they started instead of choosing names that they honestly like. Would you feel that you had to keep the flower middle name theme up if you didn’t like any other flower names? (provided you have another daughter, of course). If it not, or if you have some other flower names that you love, then I’d say go for it. If you don’t want to or don’t like any other names, you might want to think about. However, with that being said, I think it’s a cool connection and bond for the sisters to have.

I love Elowen [name]Cait[/name]! I think it’s pretty spelled like your sister’s name. It’s also very classic, it always reminds me of [name]Kate[/name] [name]Winslet[/name] and I love the family honor.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name Elowen, and Elowen [name]Kate[/name] is hands-down darling.

My dh and I have a “rule of thumb” that has been useful so far: if the kid gets an unusual first name, the middle name is common, recognizable and gender-specific. This gives them another option for later in life, in case they become weary of spelling their unusual name. Also, in our experience it’s also very helpful in relieving confusion. For example, at the doctor’s office the nurse will look at the chart and see that the middle name is [name]Jonathan[/name], so they correctly assume they will be addressing a boy. It has been a good “rule” for us so far.

Besides, if older sister is actually called [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Rose[/name] including the middle name with frequency, how adorable is it if the next little girl gets a name in the same pattern, and yet a totally unique name?

[name]Love[/name] Elowen. Nothing wrong w keeping w flower theme middle name. My suggestion is [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name]. Instead of [name]Star[/name] I’d go for [name]Stella[/name] or [name]Estella[/name]. Good luck!

[name]Love[/name] the name Elowen! Elowen [name]Cait[/name] is a great name. My one and only suggestion other then that is Elowen [name]Paisley[/name].

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Elowen [name]Kate[/name], [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Celeste[/name] are my fave. [name]Love[/name] Elowen by the way, underused and gorgeous.

1 Elowen [name]Kate[/name]
2 Elowen [name]Pearl[/name]
3 Elowen [name]June[/name]