Need some reassurance from my fellow posters, please!

Hear, hear! [name]Rosalia[/name] [name]Jacquelyn[/name] is beautiful

OMG, I love [name]Rosalia[/name]. That is elegant and beautiful.

Ok ladies - so my hubby cracks me up! I’m glad I have a sense of humor b/c otherwise I would have slapped him tonight (on multiple occasions)!!!
I tried talking to him about the name [name]Rosaelia[/name] - which he has heard many times out of my mouth. He said to me “where did you come up with that ridiculous name? It sounds like you pulled it off a cereal box or something.” (That was his way of letting me know to stop asking him about the name). Then he actually got mad at me. He said “we agreed weeks ago about [name]Rozlynn[/name] and you were so excited. I like it, you said you like it, and we’re keeping it. We’re going to the notary tomorrow to get that in writing so you don’t change it!” Now that really made me laugh.
Then we got to the spelling of [name]Rozlynn[/name] - every reason I gave him, he gave me one back as to why it should be w/ an S and not a Z. He doesn’t care that its a classic spelling - classic is old. Its already an old name, and he wants a modern spelling. Then I tried to explain the whole thing w/ mispelling the name and the lower socioeconomic status. He said “get the heck out of here! I am low class… I’m a truck driver - remember? And besides what do I care about what ppl think of my economic status just by the way I spell my own daughter’s name?” …You don’t want to know what he said after that.
So… I basically left it at that b/c I knew I was going to get absolutely NO WHERE on this one tonight. I guess I’ll have to try again another night - maybe in a couple of weeks. (Sigh)
Thanks again ladies for all your help!

Hunny, I’m sorry your husband was acting like that! Maybe you should slap him - tell him you mean business here! Ha! [name]Just[/name] kidding - not to be rude, though, but your husband sounds like he was being a jerk! Maybe you should suggest he log in here and take up his issue with us? Who knows…

At this point, I would’ve been so frustrated I probably would have slapped my husband and gotten so angry that I would’ve told him something along the lines of definitely choosing a new name just to spite him or something. That probably isn’t the direction you want to go in. But, if it comes down to it and he still isn’t willing to compromise on spelling, you may have to choose a new one you both love in its entirety! Maybe wait a few years and perhaps have another baby (lets hope a girl) and by then he will have come around to [name]Rosalyn[/name] or even [name]Rosaelia[/name]!

What did you think of my earlier suggestions of other names to go with [name]Alanna[/name]? Once more, good luck dealing with that mess!

I recall that your husband was worried about rose-lyn with the roslyn spelling. I personally prefer [name]Rosalyn[/name]/Rosalynn as it separates the sounds. Also, as someone who had a name spelt differently, I have spent my entire life correcting people. I’m getting angry just thinking about it right now. My damn school certificate had to be re-issued. And it wasn’t even weird spelling - [name]Kimberly[/name] instead of [name]Kimberley[/name]. I’ve actually developed a serious hatred for all ‘ley’ ending names, they make my skin crawl because I’ve spent over 20 years going “without the e.” You husband seems stubborn and I’m sorry to put even more pressure on you, but I hope that he can be swayed because, unless there is a good reason (my mum took the ‘e’ away because then my name had the same number of letters as my birthday which is nice and the only reason I was ok defending my name) - it is a lot more hassle than it’s worth. So ask him about [name]Rosalyn[/name]/Rosalynn because that would solve any possible rose-lyn pronunciation errors. Good luck.

Oh, dear. I hate to say, but your husband’s got you on this one - you did introduce him to the whole ‘z’ idea, and you did agree on the name and get excited about it. And that really cracked me up, his argument about the “low-classness” of a z spelling, LOL. He sounds like a lot of fun.

Anyway, I can understand your family is making you anxious over this and I think it’s really mean of them to do that to you. I’m terrified of this same situation as if it turns out we’re having a girl, the girl name I’m set on is something most people haven’t heard before and I’m worried my family will hate it. I do the whole “give them a really terrible name and hope by comparison the real one will sound amazing” thing when people ask what names we’re thinking of! LOL.

I’m not sure what to suggest other than stick with your choice and your family will get used to it. When they make a comment say something like, “That IS her name, so now you’re just making fun of your future granddaughter/neice.” Remind them that this name is now a person, not just a hypothetical name. And if they keep on tell them if they have nothing nice to say you don’t want to hear it and end the conversation.

I have to just say that, although I am one of the people who likes [name]Roslyn[/name] more than [name]Rozlynn[/name], I don’t think that ultimately it’s worth making it such a sore point with your husband that the name loses its charm, if that’s what starts to happen. Yes, the [name]Roslyn[/name] spelling’s better for some of the reasons you gave him, but I also think that if you both like it and you’re both excited about it, that’s the most important thing. I’m a big name nerd, but the naming should never start to overshadow the excitement of why you’re finding a name in the first place - because you’ve created something wonderful together. So if I were you, I’d probably try to forget about the name for a while (especially because of your family) and just enjoy where you’re at, and I am sure it will all fall into place. Either that, or slip him some of your drugs at the hospital when you need to fill in that birth certificate! (Kidding, of course!) However you spell it, I think [name]Rozlynn[/name]/[name]Roslyn[/name] is going to love her name.

PS I don’t say this as someone who doesn’t recognise how annoying spelling can be, because I really do think it’s important, just not the end of the world. I’m a [name]Gabriella[/name]/[name]Gaby[/name] and my whole life I have had to correct from [name]Gabrielle[/name], [name]Gabriela[/name], [name]Gabby[/name], even [name]Debbie[/name]. It drove me crazy, and I even had a classic spelling. But I survived! :wink:

It turns out that he had gotten into an argument with one of his brothers earlier last night, so he was aggravated to begin with. He said he wasn’t trying to be mean, he was just trying to get his point across that he wants to spell the name with a Z, he doesn’t care about any reason why it should be spelled with an S - he likes it better with a Z. Then he laid the guilt trip on me - “you won when you got your name for [name]Alanna[/name], it should only be fair that I get to pick the spelling of this one” (he wanted [name]Leila[/name] for [name]Alanna[/name] instead).

[name]Lemon[/name] - unfortunately, due to medical complications (with all of our children), I am getting my tubes tied when I have the c-section. So we will not be having anymore children (unless we happen to adopt). And I did try to ask him about other names, but he’s set on [name]Rozlynn[/name].

Kmorri - I know how you feel about mispelling of your name. My name is [name]Raquel[/name], and I am always correcting ppl - I get called [name]Rachel[/name] all the time, and it is mispelled quite often. For some reason, we both don’t like [name]Rosalyn[/name] (but yet I like [name]Rosaelia[/name]).

Scarlettsmom - that is a good idea for me to tell everyone. Thank you!

I was really thinking about it today during my weekly IV infusion for the pregnancy (I have nothing better to do since I’m there for 7 hours). I think I figured out why I’ve become uncertain about the name [name]Rozlynn[/name]. When we found out it was a girl, we wanted a name that was a just as beautiful as [name]Alanna[/name]'s. I enjoy the fact that when I tell ppl her name, they say “Oh! What a beautiful name!” I have not gotten that with [name]Rozlynn[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though I think it’s beautiful, when I tell ppl the name, they just say “Oh.” or “Oh, it’s ok” or "what about this name _____ instead? ". I’m going to convey my feelings to my husband tonight about this. I have a feeling he’s going to say who cares if other ppl don’t like it. We think it’s beautiful, and that’s all that matters. He’s very big on “who cares what others think”. But of course, every mother wants their child’s name to be the prettiest and the best in the world - so when I don’t get that out of ppl, then it discourages me.

Should I truly take other ppl’s opinions to heart? Or should I just stick with the name b/c I love it and disregard everyone else? I most certainly don’t want to have the “namers remorse” problem that I’ve seen others have.

[name]Edit[/name]* - should I start a new thread about this, or just leave it here?

Oh, I’m sorry about your medical complications!

The thing is, to me, based solely on the information you have given me, I don’t think you love the name and think it is beautiful. You seem genuinely disconcerted and almost fearful about giving your daughter this name, which seems to me to be a clear warning sign that your heart’s not in it anymore. That’s okay! People have changing tastes in names, and a name that you were excited about and in love with earlier may just not give off that spark anymore! It might never have that same feel to you, and I think you should really think about it and be honest with yourself and your husband about your feelings about [name]Rozlynn[/name]. I hope I’m not overstepping my boundaries here.

As for the issue of you “winning” with [name]Alanna[/name]'s name, I don’t think naming a child is about winning. If it is indeed the case that you chose [name]Alanna[/name] for your first daughter and it was a name he didn’t care for at all, then I understand and sympathize with your husband’s claims. However, you don’t really seem like the type of person to do that, from my “observations”.

Again, I also feel your pain in trying to find a name that everyone thinks is beautiful, especially when people think that way about [name]Alanna[/name]'s name. Now, I certainly don’t think every single person needs to love the name, but if more people seem indifferent or repulsed rather than adoring, there might be a problem.

By the way, I’d just like to add that [name]Leila[/name] is a beautiful name, and if you don’t think the two are too close, [name]Alanna[/name] and [name]Leila[/name] [name]Rosalyn[/name] would be a pretty sibset. I know the last thing on your mind right now is probably other names, but maybe it would be a good compromise to use [name]Rozlynn[/name] (or [name]Rosalyn[/name]) as a middle name and find a name that you both love, spelling and all, for your daughter’s first name. [name]Carley[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Hayley[/name], [name]Karina[/name], [name]Marisol[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Arielle[/name], [name]Sierra[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], and [name]Sarina[/name] are all good choices.

Good luck! Hang in there!

[name]Lemon[/name]- Oh, but I do like [name]Rozlynn[/name]/[name]Roslyn[/name], not as much as I love [name]Alanna[/name] though (I haven’t found a name that I love nearly as much, yet - so I don’t think I will). But, I think I’m letting other people’s opinion cloud my feelings about the name. This is why I didn’t want to tell people her name until she was born - I should have stuck with my gut on that one.

The thing is - [name]Leila[/name] is now our next door neighbor’s daughter’s name (they spell it [name]Layla[/name]). She is the same age as [name]Alanna[/name], and they moved here when the girls were about 1. [name]Alanna[/name] and [name]Layla[/name] play all the time, and so do our sons. They’re all best friends. So I couldn’t use the name [name]Leila[/name] now.

And with naming [name]Alanna[/name] - he had his favorite and I had my favorite when we went to the hospital. We wanted to see which name fit her. We both held our ground though. It wasn’t until [name]Alanna[/name] was 3 days old when his family actually persuaded him to let me have [name]Alanna[/name] for multiple reasons! So, it wasn’t about “winning” the name, it was more like “winning the battle” over the name. lol I got the name I wanted, and he didn’t. So now he wants the spelling he wants since we both agree on the name.

Okay! I’m glad you like the name, but I’m sad that you don’t [name]LOVE[/name] the name like you love [name]Alanna[/name]. That seems problematic to me, as I believe you should find a name you absolutely 100% love. As for your reasons for not using [name]Leila[/name], that is completely understandable! I don’t know if I should try to help you find a name you and your husband love, but deep down I can’t help but be convinced that [name]Rozlynn[/name] should be used as a middle name so you can love both of your daughters’ names equally!

I’m not sure exactly what your style is, because [name]Alanna[/name] and [name]Rozlynn[/name] seem so different to me. I’d pair [name]Alanna[/name] with something feminine and cute, but not really frilly - something like [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Jillian[/name], [name]Madelyn[/name], [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Coralie[/name], [name]Jocelyn[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Bryony[/name], [name]Delaney[/name], [name]Melody[/name], or [name]Rosalie[/name]…

so you stated that your husband says that since you picked alanna last time, and you both agree on the name so he should get the spelling, but i thought you didnt really agree on the name. i got the impression you would rather her name be rosalia, thus you are compromising on naming her [name]Roslyn[/name] or [name]Rozlynn[/name]. so perhaps if you remind him of that you can get your spelling? maybe?

[name]Lemon[/name] - Maybe b/c she is here and I interact with her daily and I know the name fits her - maybe that’s why I love [name]Alanna[/name]'s name so much, and can’t find one to compare. Hopefully, what ever name this new baby has, I will end up loving as much once she’s here.

BUT… good news! I talked to hubby tonight about my feelings w/ [name]Rozlynn[/name]. He actually threw out a couple names of which we decided against ([name]Celeste[/name] and [name]Libby[/name]). But he said he would be open to searching for another name, as long as we [name]BOTH[/name] love it. Otherwise, we’re going to stick with [name]Rozlynn[/name]. So we have 7 weeks left until the c-section to look. I agree with him - if we can’t find a name other than [name]Rozlynn[/name] in 7 weeks, then her name is meant to be [name]Rozlynn[/name].

Probably tomorrow I will post another thread asking all you nameberry posters to help us! I just want to see if hubby has any criteria for a name first.