Need some reassurance

So I am 37+4 with our first child, a little girl we’re going to call [name_f]Juno[/name_f] (middle name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] for reasons).

I’ve had [name_f]Juno[/name_f] on my Nameberry list for as long as I can remember when we found out I was expecting I was all ready to fight for it with fiancé but as soon as I said it he loved it as well, no discussion needed, [name_f]Juno[/name_f] was chosen. He even found an old sketchbook I haven’t touched in years that had ‘[name_f]Juno[/name_f]’ written all in it.

[name_f]My[/name_f] original plan was to keep it a secret and announce on birth but we’ve gradually told people, including parents and if they don’t like it, they haven’t said so and they’ve been very supportive of it.

So I thought I’d best tell my nan, I knew she’d hate it because she was going on about how if I was a boy, my mum was going to call me [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and how horrible that is (what’s wrong with [name_u]Rory[/name_u]?! ). So I told her and she was like omg, you’re joking, bla bla, change of topic.

This morning she calls me to give me a big lecture about how she’s been up all night and how could I be so cruel to give her a name like [name_f]Juno[/name_f], when she goes to school she’s gonna get ‘D’you know this, D’you know that’. Here are some quotes ‘where are you getting these names!? [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars?! Why don’t you go the whole hog and call her [name_f]Princess[/name_f] bloody [name_f]Leia[/name_f]’ ‘if she’s born in [name_u]June[/name_u], why [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or [name_f]Eve[/name_f].’

I am really close with my nan and as much as I knew she wouldn’t like it, it has really upset me and got me almost ashamed. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I really don’t think it’s going to be a big deal. If anything she’ll get a ribbing off her two grandads and the joke will die on it’s a*se. I’ve just told it to the work girls at my Zoom baby shower and they liked it. I just need some reassurance I’m not being “cruel”.

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: Thank you all for your lovely comments. You’ve really made me feel better and reminded me that it’s me who loves [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. Going to keep coming back and re reading them - which I’m sure I’ll need to do if she carries on. [name_m]Will[/name_m] be sure to announce when she’s born!

3 Likes

I don’t see anything cruel about the name [name_f]Juno[/name_f]. It’s very pretty, similar to the name [name_u]June[/name_u] but with a mythological association. If anything, she’ll probably think it’s cool she shares a name with a goddess.

No offense to your nan, but it sounds like she’s just close-minded when it comes to names. I’ve seen children with names much more out there than [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and they weren’t bullied or ashamed.

Personally, I’d rather be a [name_f]Juno[/name_f] than, say, one of 5 Emmas in the class.

3 Likes

Thank you, that’s precisely what I wanted - Something uncommon! And mythological names are my fave. Thought [name_f]Juno[/name_f] was quite tame really!

1 Like

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] is a favorite of mine and I like it because I consider it a very strong yet feminine girl name. [name_f]Juno[/name_f] in [name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythology is the queen of heaven and represented the ideal woman. The truth is once your little girl is born everyone will love her, and the name will become loved as well (A very similar situation happened in my own family, and we all love the name now it’s connected to a person we love).

In other words I think [name_f]Juno[/name_f] is a great name for a little girl, and if it’s a name that both you and your fiance love then you should use it.

1 Like

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] is an amazing name. [name_m]How[/name_m] could that be cruel? Sorry your nan doesn’t like it, she might come around once it’s attached to her grandchild. If not, [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Leia[/name_f] sounds great as well :laughing:

6 Likes

Also something my sister and I say to each other when we like a name we know our mom wouldn’t like is, “Mom’s not making the baby, I am.” It’s a little something to remind us that it’s okay to like a name another loved one may not like, and even use it because it’s our baby. You love your nan and you can respect her opinion, but at the end of the day you’re the one doing the hard work. It’s okay to use a name that you love.

2 Likes

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] isn’t as common as a name like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_u]Anne[/name_u], and that’s part of what makes it so beautiful. It’s a strong name that exudes confidence and knowledge. I really don’t see any way of making fun of it- no obvious mean nickname potential or bad associations for me. Relatives, no matter how much we love them, can definitely get on our nerves. Sometimes they can be really insensitive. If you love [name_f]Juno[/name_f]- and it sounds like you and your fiance do, a lot- then don’t let anyone talk you out of it. Like another poster said, once your child is born I’m sure your nan will grow to like it. Being upset is totally understandable, and I’d be feeling the same way. It’s just one of those times that reminds us to be true to ourselves :slight_smile: dont worry. Whatever you do decide, the bonds you have with your grandmother (and the relationship she will have with your daughter!) will probably prevail over everything else.

2 Likes

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] is a fantastic name. It’s the one you’ve always loved, the one your partner also loves and one that is well loved here on Nameberry too. Most names can be teased if people try hard enough so i wouldnt worry too much. [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is a stunning choice

2 Likes

To be fair my mum’s just called (her and nan aren’t currently speaking) and although I’m not confident she loves the name she was just like ‘at the end of the day, she’s your baby you can call her what you want’.

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] is an awesome name that any modern girl would be fortunate to have.

We kept name discussions private, but this reminds me of so many conversations I have had with my MIL. Ugh. The worst of it was likewise when I was 38 weeks and she called to beg me to go to the hospital for my birth (I had a successful and beautiful homebirth). I just wound up telling her: “You had your chance to parent. You did it well. Now it is my turn to parent. I’m going to make decisions that would be very different from the ones you made, but they are mine to make. It is my turn to be a mom this time. Nobody cares about this baby more than we [partner and I] do, and I will do everything I can to make decisions in their best interest, so you don’t have to worry about that. You may not like it, but you’ve got to trust I’m thinking things through and doing what I think is right.”

She shouldn’t be concerning you (very pregnant and/or new mama) with the things keeping HER up at night. [name_f]Deal[/name_f], Gran.

4 Likes

I really like [name_f]Juno[/name_f]! I don’t think any kids at school will think it’s a weird name. Kids have all kinds of unique names now and I can’t imagine anyone really taking that much notice honestly.
[name_f]Junie[/name_f] is a cute nn too. :slight_smile: Your mom is right, she’s your baby and you should choose the name you really love for her. If you don’t you’ll probably always wish you’d been brave enough to do so. Your [name_f]Nan[/name_f] will probably come around when [name_f]Juno[/name_f] is born and even if she doesn’t then maybe she can call her [name_f]Junie[/name_f] with your blessing. But honestly, she should respect your feelings either way. [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is beautiful.

2 Likes

It’s a sweet name. You have every right to name your daughter what you love. I’m sure your nan will grow to love it when she meets your little girl!

Congratulations!

This is a big part of why we always announce at birth.
I would give her a gentle reminder that [name_f]Juno[/name_f] is a legitimate name.
And tell her people can call her [name_f]Junie[/name_f], literally just de-stress [name_f]Nan[/name_f].
She might be stressed and just focusing on this because she dislikes it.
[name_f]Junie[/name_f] is cutsie, [name_u]June[/name_u] is classic, [name_f]Juno[/name_f] feels different to her.
As people are their filters get less, try not to take it personally.
Thats hard because this is personal…
But also it’s a lovely name and your choice AND it means something to you.
Give her those little confident reassurances.
I can tell you now that when [name_f]Nan[/name_f] went to school… Things were different…
These days little [name_m]Harry[/name_m] & [name_m]John[/name_m] are sitting along side [name_u]Zion[/name_u] & [name_f]Tyla[/name_f] & yes…
[name_m]Little[/name_m] Junos and [name_m]Mattias[/name_m]… and [name_u]River[/name_u] & [name_u]Storm[/name_u] are having playdates with [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] & [name_u]James[/name_u]
People have always had various different choices
but now for every 3 Olivias you have a slightly more different name and that’s really nice
you aren’t being cruel, you’re doing nothing wrong
[name_m]Just[/name_m] comfort [name_f]Nan[/name_f] and say how much it means to you and then change the subject
Call the baby [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]Junie[/name_f] to [name_f]Nan[/name_f], just don’t even worry about it.
Because when the baby comes along she will be there and she will be [name_f]Juno[/name_f]
And it doesn’t matter if you [name_f]Nan[/name_f] calls her that, she can call her baby or [name_u]June[/name_u]…
It’s gonna be fine and I’m sorry she’s stressing you out
She shouldn’t have done that and it shouldn’t be on you to calm her but it is
[name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t worry about what she’s saying and get through to a different conversation
It’s gonna be ok, [name_u]June[/name_u] babies are lovely, congratulations and don’t worry.

2 Likes

I adore [name_f]Juno[/name_f]! It’s one of my absolute favorites and would be on my shortlist if by some divine intervention I had a baby girl right now. [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is so wonderful, and I’m sure your nan will come around once the name is attached to a beautiful baby girl.

1 Like

[name_f]Juno[/name_f]’s gorgeous, and I’ve NEVER ever thought of “d’you know” when hearing that name! The main thing is that YOU love it, and there are no real issues like with ‘[name_m]Harry[/name_m] Balls’ or ‘[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_m]Bush[/name_m]’.

[name_f]My[/name_f] MIL hates my daughter’s name ([name_f]Robyn[/name_f]), and many family and friends had the opinion that it’s too stale or old fashioned, or “too birdy”… my Mom hates my niece’s name too (a really common, pretty name!) because it feels to old-fashioned or stuffy to her. Not their child, not their choice. Your [name_f]Nan[/name_f] will either come round, or like my MIL continue to hate the name but love the child.

2 Likes

[name_f]Juno[/name_f] is a wonderful name! It just matters that you both love it. I think your nan will come around and accept it after meeting her or dislike the name and still love the child. I also never would have thought of the ‘D’you know’ bit, so don’t worry too much about that. Good luck!

1 Like

I’m so sorry your nan had such a cruel reaction. However, you have to look at the big picture - you already knew she wouldn’t like it and everyone else has been very supportive. She’s from a different generation where she prefers more traditional names which isn’t surprising. I definitely wouldn’t let her childish (yes, childish) response make you second guess your name choice and love for [name_f]Juno[/name_f]. And definitely don’t feel ashamed! It’s a lovely name. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter went to preschool with a sweet little girl named [name_f]Juno[/name_f]. It’s definitely a very useable name.

Perhaps [name_f]Junie[/name_f] would be a cute nickname and your nan would be okay with that?

Congratulations on your sweet little [name_f]Juno[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I absolutely love the name [name_f]Juno[/name_f] and think [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is a beautiful combo! In fact, [name_f]Juno[/name_f] was one of the names I wanted for my daughter but my partner vetoed it. You are absolutely not being cruel! It’s just a generational thing - I imagine your nan would be horrified by a lot of the names being used today that others wouldn’t bat an eyelid at. I can’t imagine a [name_f]Juno[/name_f] would get any bullying at all! If I were you I’d tell your nan about the sorts of names being used today and that [name_f]Juno[/name_f], even if she hates it, really isn’t a big deal. You shouldn’t let her comments stop you from using it; she’ll get used to it when she meets your baby and spends time with her. Honestly, I absolutely love [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and am almost jealous that you get to use it!

3 Likes

You’re not being cruel, it’s very cute. I’ve thought of it too! I think D’yknow …? is a pretty innocuous and even cute pun. Your nan will love your baby no matter what and she can come up with her own special pet names for her too.

1 Like

I think it’s fairly mainstream, if not common, since the movie of the same name a few years back. Go for it!

1 Like