Need suggestion on Name 'Avi'

Hello Friends,

I need your valuable suggestion to decide the name ‘[name_u]Avi[/name_u]’ for my son. The meaning of this name is (THE SUN AND AIR; HONEST) in Hindi. We are from [name_f]India[/name_f] (Hindu) and our son is a US-born. I looked into multiple forums and found that it’s a multicultural name. I found many popular/successful personalities with this name.

1. It looks like it’s a unisex name with more than 95% boys. Should we proceed with this name for my son?
  2. Is this name okay to go with for a non-Jewish boy as well?
  3. Is there any negative meaning/impact of this name in any origin like in Australia - it shows girl name with the meaning bird.
    Avi: name meaning and origin - BabyCenter Australia
    However, I found many male professionals on LinkedIn with this name.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

1. Use it
  2. It’s fine too use on a non-jew since it has meaning in Hindi
  3. Only thing I can think of is Aviation and Aviators. Nothing bad and it’d be kind of funny if they become a pilot.
3 Likes

I like [name_u]Avi[/name_u] for a boy! It seems to have different meanings and different origins so I wouldn’t worry about that. [name_u]Avi[/name_u] as a prefix means flight but I dont think thats a bad thing. I quite like it!

1 Like

When I saw the name [name_u]Avi[/name_u] I assumed Hindu before Hebrew and boy before girl!

If you pronounce it Ay-vie like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] then it might be confusing but I pronounce it [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-vie like [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] (we don’t pronounce the ‘r’ in my accent).

I think it’s cute and if you love it you should use it :slight_smile:

Avi is really cool. I think it’s usable

Use it! It’s fine on a non-Jewish child because it’s multicultural and has another meaning in Hindi. Also, since it’s unisex there’s no issue gender-wise. [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is the author [name_u]Avi[/name_u]!

More suggestions, please. Many thanks to those who have replied :slight_smile:

I don’t think there are any issues with it at all. Definitely go for it. [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is also the author.

1. I’d personally say that [name_u]Avi[/name_u] is pretty unisex. Especially when reading the name, I’d rather think of a girl, perhaps because it’s so close to [name_f]Ava[/name_f]/Eva. But I’d also totally see it for a boy.
  2. Personally, I think its nonsense to use / not use a name because of religion. If you like a name, use it.
  3. Like I said, I see an association with / nickname for [name_f]Ava[/name_f]/Avalon. But it could also be a nickname for [name_u]Maverick[/name_u]. I firmly believe that it is the person who gives the name meaning, not the name itself - which technically speaking doesn’t ‘mean’ anything at all.

What about [name_m]Ravi[/name_m]? I know a little boy of [name_f]Indian[/name_f] origin with this name, but also one from Western Europe, so I’d say it’s pretty universal and not one religious association attached to it.

I think [name_u]Avi[/name_u] sounds pretty multi-cultural, and wouldn’t blink seeing a Hindu child with this name.

Thanks for your response. Does it sound a Girl name or Boy Name?

1. Yes! Use it
  2. Yes
  3. All I can think of are flight/birds references as others have mentioned

I like [name_u]Avi[/name_u]. If you love it, use it!