Need suggestions - biblical or old man names

[name]Hi[/name] - we’re due with our second child and completely lost with boy names - though we don’t know what we’re having. Our style (or should I say my style - my husband vetos more than suggests) is either biblical (old testament only) or old man type names.

A little more background. Our daughter is named [name]Kate[/name], though we call her [name]Katie[/name]. I loved the classic strength of her crisp short name, while her nickname is much more cutesy. We’re Jewish and want to avoid any [name]Chris[/name] variations.

The only ones we’ve come up with so far are

[name]Jake[/name] ([name]Jacob[/name])
[name]Zach[/name] ([name]Zachary[/name])
[name]Jack[/name]

I like [name]Jake[/name], but I don’t like that [name]Jacob[/name] is so common. [name]Jack[/name] is okay, but it’s popular and doesn’t quite feel like us (we’re fans of 24 and Lost, is that bad that the hero in both is [name]Jack[/name]?). [name]Zach[/name], to me, just feels like a more biblical version of [name]Jack[/name] - I don’t love it either.

For our daughter, we narrowed it down to [name]Max[/name] or [name]Adam[/name]. I’m not in love with either right now.

I like [name]Abe[/name], though it might sound a little too old man-ish and [name]Leo[/name], but it doesn’t go with our last name (which ends in an O or an OFF sound, depending on who says it).

Any suggestions would be more appreciated.

Thanks!

[name]Sarah[/name]

I think [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] would be perfect!

[name]Eli[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] are an adorable pair of names.

Also:
[name]Ben[/name] ([name]Benjamin[/name])
[name]Bram[/name] ([name]Abram[/name] or [name]Abraham[/name])
[name]Gabe[/name] ([name]Gabriel[/name]) - my favorite on this list.
[name]Joe[/name] ([name]Joseph[/name]) [name]Joseph[/name] is also in the New Testament which may be a drawback.
[name]Mose[/name] ([name]Moses[/name])
[name]Rafe[/name] ([name]Raphael[/name])
[name]Sam[/name] ([name]Samuel[/name], [name]Samson[/name])

I like [name]Eli[/name], but it’s my husband’s first cousin’s name - and not a positive association for him. Like the genre if you think of others along that line.

I think [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] are perfect together!!! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Abe[/name] and moses. [name]Do[/name] the names have to be short? what about shelton nn shel, [name]Rudolph[/name] nn rudy, remmington nn remy, jericho nn jerry or echo, [name]Montgomery[/name] nn monty, montague nn monty or huge, [name]Theodore[/name] nn theo. I will come back with more. I have a girlfriend who also like old man and biblical names that why i have though of these. If you like any of them let me know so i can get a gage of your style. PS I [name]LOVE[/name] kate.

[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Asa[/name]

[name]Immanuel[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]John[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Zebulon[/name]
[name]Moses[/name]
[name]Aaron[/name]
[name]Bram[/name]
[name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Gerard[/name] ([name]Jared[/name])
[name]Jeremiah[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Cohen[/name]

“For our daughter, we narrowed it down to [name]Max[/name] or [name]Adam[/name]. I’m not in love with either right now.”

Does this statement mean that if you have a daughter she will be either [name]Max[/name] or [name]Adam[/name]?

I love [name]Leo[/name], and am sorry you can’t use it. I’ve always pronounced -off names as “off” (no long O sound), so for what’s it’s worth, I can see [name]Leo[/name] with your last name. :slight_smile:

Some more you may like:

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name] (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name] (I knew an [name]Isaac[/name] growing up was nicknamed “[name]Zac[/name].”)
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name] (I love this Biblical name…)
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] (nn [name]Teddy[/name] or [name]Theo[/name])

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Too bad you can’t use [name]Eli[/name]… :confused:

Sorry for repeats, I forgot to really look over the PP suggestions…

[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Harry[/name]/[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Julian[/name] nn [name]Jude[/name]
[name]Phillip[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Boaz[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Jethro[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Chauncey[/name]
[name]Lawrence[/name]
[name]Lyle[/name]
[name]Monroe[/name]

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I like [name]Asher[/name], though it’s the last name of family friends so it might be a little strange for my side of the family. I like [name]Jonah[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name], but my husband doesn’t.

[name]How[/name] do you get sold on a name if you’re just not feeling it right now?

This is the time to think of all kinds of names and see if one grabs you. Try giving a name to something you refer to all the time - like your cell phone. Call your cell phone that name for a couple of days and see how you like the name. Or you could say the name you’re trying out a bunch of times in a row. Or you could write it over and over - say twenty times. Once your baby is born and you name him, you will find that you refer to him, say his name to him, and write his name every day.
So what’s a name that I think a person would never get tired of in their whole lifetime?

[name]Andrew[/name] nn [name]Drew[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name] nn [name]Ben[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name] - very, very popular, but a great name
[name]Ethan[/name] - but it’s very, very popular
[name]Finnian[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name] - if you love two syllable names that end in “n”
[name]Henry[/name] - but it’s very popular
[name]James[/name]
[name]John[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name] - also very popular
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] nn [name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name]

[name]How[/name] about [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Ari[/name]?

This is the time to think of all kinds of names and see if one grabs you. Try giving a name to something you refer to all the time - like your cell phone. Call your cell phone that name for a couple of days and see how you like the name. Or you could say the name you’re trying out a bunch of times in a row. Or you could write it over and over - say twenty times. Once your baby is born and you name him, you will find that you refer to him, say his name to him, and write his name every day.
So what’s a name that I think a person would never get tired of in their whole lifetime?

[name]Andrew[/name] nn [name]Drew[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name] nn [name]Ben[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name] - very, very popular, but a great name
[name]Ethan[/name] - but it’s very, very popular
[name]Finnian[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name] - if you love two syllable names that end in “n”
[name]Henry[/name] - but it’s very popular
[name]James[/name]
[name]John[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name] - also very popular
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] nn [name]Nathan[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name][/quote]

I love my list except for [name]Gavin[/name]. I have decided against it. But I would love it on someone else’s son.

What about [name]Marc[/name] ([name]Marcus[/name]) with [name]Kate[/name]? Or [name]Seth[/name]?

I like Biblical and “old man” names, too. I’m also having a hard time coming up with a boy’s name (though I’m not due until [name]May[/name]).

I don’t know how you get sold on a name…I think you just know when you hear the name that is right for you. Also, some names may just grow on you! I always think it’s funny when people announce the names of their unborn kids after the 20week ultrasound reveals the sex. Won’t they change their minds???

Anyway, of those mentioned, I love, love, love:
[name]Abe[/name]!
[name]Nate[/name] ([name]Nathan[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name])
[name]Isaac[/name] (was this mentioned?)
[name]Elijah[/name]

[name]Jacob[/name] is a great name, but so super popular. If you love it though, I think you should use it. Good luck!

Personally, I love the names [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Jack[/name] together. [name]Jack[/name], while popular, is a great name, and one of my favorites. I know the coolest guy named [name]Jack[/name], so I have only positive connections with this name.

My brother’s name is [name]Jacob[/name], but he goes by [name]Jake[/name]. It’s weird because I know a lot of [name]Jacob[/name]'s (all of different ages) and only one other [name]Jacob[/name] goes by [name]Jake[/name]… I think it’s a great name, and while extremely popular, it’s classic.

Personally, I love [name]Adam[/name]. I also know a great guy named [name]Adam[/name], so I might be a little biased. While I’m not crazy about Biblical names, [name]Adam[/name] is somewhat of an exception for me. [name]Adam[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] sound like the perfect sibling set as well.

I say [name]Adam[/name] or [name]Jack[/name] :slight_smile: Good luck and congrats!

I dont know if this is too late but my first choice is strong but has a short nickname.

[name]Jameson[/name] - nickname [name]James[/name]