Need to revisit this name one last time (promise this it!)

So we are pretty much down to 2 names on our boy list as most of you know but [name]Angus[/name] is sneaking up on us again and we have always dismissed it due to thinking that it’s unuseable in the united states. After mentioning it In a previous thread and poll it seems like the majority of people (berries) think it could be useable. This comes after reading old posts saying that it’s not. I don’t know which way to lean…

Here a some factors I’m considering:

• We live in the Midwest,in a farming community. We don’t raise cattle however.
  • Hubby’s main association is [name]Angus[/name] [name]Young[/name], from one of his favorite bands ac/dc.
  • we both love the nick name [name]Gus[/name] and I like the sound of [name]Angus[/name], that it’s uncommon yet recognized
  • I like that it has an N like the rest of the kids’ names: [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Nolan[/name], [name]Juniper[/name] & [name]Angus[/name]
  • I like that it’s decidedly male…whereas the other [name]Gus[/name] name on our list is [name]August[/name] and is given to girls occasionally
  • and again, we live in the Midwest…I’m scared of what the average person is going to say about the name because of the cows. I can see one of my other boys pulling off [name]Angus[/name] but my main concern is if he’s going to be made fun of or snickered at about his name.

Our other two names are [name]Mathias[/name] and [name]August[/name]. Last name sounds like Castle. Most likely a blonde haired blue eyed child.

Thanks so much berries…I feel like I’ll regret it if I don’t get your opinions before its too late…and I’m sorry if anyone’s getting tired of my name search :wink: I promise its almost over! :smiley:

Your argument was convincing…until I saw [name]Mathais[/name]. I just love that name!

I’m new here so I don’t know the background, but it’s my opinion that you should go where your heart lies, and if that’s with [name]Angus[/name] then go for it! Children will always find ways to make fun of another child’s name but it won’t be a constant thing, it’s not like you’re naming him [name]Bear[/name] or Booboo. Personally I’m not a fan of [name]Gus[/name] names at all, but you obviously are and you should go for the one you love the most :slight_smile: Good luck, hope you make the right decision

I do like the sound of [name]Angus[/name] and I agree with @milliemm. If you like the name, then it´s the right one :slight_smile: It is a beautiful name and you should go for it. (And I also like the nn [name]Gus[/name].)

I didn’t even make the beef association.

I do like [name]Mathias[/name].

Thanks so far to everyone that’s responded. Any more opinions out there?

I really like both [name]Mathias[/name] and [name]August[/name] a lot (and [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Nolan[/name] and [name]Juniper[/name] are all really great names too). [name]Angus[/name] I just can’t come around to liking. If you do though, don’t let these forums sway you too much, it’s a name that’s definitely not gonna be to everyone’s preference. It’ll definitely be one of those ‘you hate it or you love it’ kind of names. My main issue with it, personally, isn’t the beef association, it’s more of the association that comes when you take away the letter ‘g’. Makes the name unusable for me. I do really like the NN [name]Gus[/name] though, but think [name]August[/name] (or [name]Augustus[/name]/[name]Augustine[/name]) is a much better way to get there.
Honestly though, out of all the names in your signature, I feel like [name]Everett[/name] (NN [name]Ever[/name] and/or [name]Rhett[/name]) would match your sibset the best, it fits the feel/style of [name]Nolan[/name] and [name]Conrad[/name] really really well.

I love [name]Angus[/name]! I say go for it. If not, you will probably always have name remorse and wish you had used it. Kids will be kids and make fun of each other no matter what. I think angus is dignified and handsome and I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Gus[/name]!

I live in the Midwest and did immediately think of cattle when I saw [name]Angus[/name]. That being said, I don’t think it’s unusable, but I really love [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Nolan[/name], [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]August[/name] together! I would assume that [name]August[/name] was a boy.

Good luck!!

Thanks, Javad! We were really liking [name]Everett[/name] too until we heard of a couple in our community that somehow flew under the radar and I didn’t know about. I hadn’t really thought about the name without the g before…I had [name]Cassidy[/name] on our list for my first son but didn’t like that it contained the a double s together. For some reason this seems different to me. Then I have to ask myself if the majority of people will think this…it’s so hard to decide.

[name]Bella[/name], thanks for the input! We love [name]Gus[/name] too.

[name]Marissa[/name], thanks to you also…I’m glad [name]August[/name] sounds like boy to you. I’ve not used a questionablegender boy name before so it would bother me if people thought [name]August[/name] was a girl.

Sorry but I can’t say that I’m a fan of [name]Angus[/name]. For one there’s the beef association and two, I just get a mental image of a pudgy, awkward child (perhaps because of the movie [name]Angus[/name]?). I think both [name]Mathias[/name] and [name]August[/name] are much more handsome and would go over a lot better in the States. The nickname [name]Gus[/name] is super adorable though and love it with [name]August[/name]! (and for what it’s worth, I’ve never run into a female [name]August[/name] so the name is decisively male to me)

[name]Angus[/name] is personally not my style, but I do like the “n” pattern in all your kid’s names. I love your other two choices. I didn’t really make the [name]Angus[/name] beef connection until you mentioned it, but I don’t live in farm country or anywhere near it. I think you should go with the one that you love! Or wait until you meet the little guy and see which one feels right

I personally would avoid the name [name]Angus[/name] for all of the reasons listed. I agree completely with pansy that it makes me think of a pudgy and awkward little boy. It he did end up on the chubby side the name would almost seem like a cruel joke to me. The beef thing doesn’t affect me living in [name]New[/name] [name]England[/name], but living in a farming community I would DEFINITELY avoid it. While I’m also not a fan of [name]August[/name], I think it is much more usable on a little boy if you’re going for the “[name]Gus[/name]” nickname.

I think [name]Matthias[/name] sounds best with your other children’s names, followed by [name]August[/name].

Naming isn’t easy and you need to be extremely thorough.
I’ve heard of people bestowing [name]Angus[/name] on their boys so I guess it’s usable, but it does still remind me of beef. But if I ever actually met a little [name]Angus[/name], I could be persuaded to like the name.

I would be floored if I met a girl [name]August[/name]. It is all male to me.
It took me a lot longer than I want to admit before I made the beef connection to [name]Angus[/name]. :wink:
I like that its different and I think it fits in well with your other kids names! ( love [name]Juniper[/name], total guilty pleasure of mine)
Good luck!