Need Your Input!

We’re well on our way to meeting our firstborn babe, and finally my husband is starting to become interested in ‘name talk’. [name]Victory[/name]!

We’ve decided that we really prefer the English classics; one that’s familiar but not too common. The former favourite, [name]Henry[/name] (I love, husband not fond of ‘[name]Hank[/name]’ nickname) has been nixed. We moved onto [name]Thomas[/name] and mulled over that one for a couple of weeks, but had to give it up as we like the name, but it doesn’t seem like it’s the right one for our child. Now, we’re thinking [name]Simon[/name]. We are liking this one quite a bit! It has the familiar factor, has a breezy nickname, [name]Si[/name] (husband is NOT crazy about it, but I think it’s great) and has a bit of flair.

I’m appealing to you, nameberry gurus to either reassure us on our current choice or set us on the right path with some fabulous new ideas.

To add some context to your suggestions, we are thinking of using [name]James[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], or possibly even [name]Alexander[/name] as middle names. Also, if we do end up having a beautiful little girl, we are going to name her either [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Claire[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name].

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to reading your suggestions.

I hate to do this, but I much prefer [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] to [name]Simon[/name]. I don’t care for the nickname [name]Si[/name] - I think it ruins a perfectly good classic name - but for some reason [name]Simon[/name] seems to be a bit of a nerdy name. [name]Don[/name]'t ask my why I feel this way! I just love [name]Henry[/name], and I’m sad to see that you’ve given it up. But, alas, let me suggest a few more English classics for your perusal.

[name]Alastair[/name] - This one might be a bit TOO uncommon for you.
[name]Alfred[/name] - [name]Alfie[/name] is a cute nickname, no?
[name]Anders[/name]/[name]Anderson[/name] - [name]Andy[/name] is always a nice, classic choice.
[name]Archer[/name] - What about [name]Archie[/name] as a nickname?
[name]Benjamin[/name] - A classic choice, through and through.
[name]Cedric[/name] - Again, a bit on the unique side…
[name]Charlton[/name] - Nickname [name]Charlie[/name] without using [name]Charles[/name].
[name]Elias[/name] - [name]Eli[/name] is a very popular nickname for boys nowadays!
[name]Fitzwilliam[/name] - Who doesn’t want Mr. [name]Darcy[/name] for a son?
[name]Harrison[/name] - A twist on the classic [name]Harry[/name].
[name]Leopold[/name] - [name]Leo[/name], anyone?
[name]Matthew[/name] - It’s been popular for boys for years now…
[name]Oliver[/name] - A very British choice, and [name]Ollie[/name] could be cute!
[name]Patrick[/name] - A handsome, classic name.
[name]Russell[/name] - Again, quite British, and [name]Russ[/name] or Russy are cute!
[name]Tobin[/name] - Not quite a classic, but [name]Toby[/name] is always adorable.
[name]William[/name] - A name suitable for a dashing prince.

So, now for more of my feedback. I like all of your middle name ideas, especially [name]James[/name]. That being said, my own brother is [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]. My favorite choices out of my suggestions are [name]Anderson[/name], [name]Archer[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name] (or [name]Bennett[/name] - for a modern twist), [name]Elias[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], [name]Russell[/name], and [name]William[/name]. Many of those I would name my own son, but my first boy will definitely be [name]Henry[/name]! [name]James[/name] sounds outstanding with many of these names, but be wary of accidentally naming your son after an actual person (think [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name] and [name]William[/name] [name]James[/name]). If you like some of these and need help putting together first and middle combinations, let me know!

Also, your choices for a girl are delightful. I plan to name a future girl [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] - I have always loved [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] seems like a fresh spin on a beautiful classic to me. [name]Claire[/name], too, is beautiful and simply elegant. Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestions! You wouldn’t believe the torture I’ve been through with my husband. I actually love [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Henry[/name] (still love, sadly). My husband was on board until a couple of days ago, now it’s back to the drawing board.

I’ll run some of your ideas by him and see if we can come up with something just right. -E

I wanted to add a word;

So glad you like our girls’ names as much as we do. That one was quite easy to agree upon, funnily enough.

I’ve mentioned many, if not all of your boys’ names listed, lemon, and have heard more opposition than interest. [name]Benjamin[/name], unfortunately, is the name of [name]Julian[/name]'s (my husband) first cousin, so that’s out. He’s not a fan of [name]Oliver[/name] (thinks that all boys named [name]Ollie[/name] are far too cool for their own good), [name]Alistair[/name] was a quick and decisive ‘no’, as was [name]Matthew[/name] (too safe), [name]Charles[/name] (too musty), [name]Patrick[/name] (too saintly)…you get the drift.

Can you sense my agony? Anyway, as for [name]Simon[/name]. I completely respect your views, but I know the most delightfully non-nerdy 11-year-old boy with that name who is perfectly comfortable in his own skin. I still think the name works!

I like [name]Simon[/name] (not really a fan of [name]Si[/name] though.) It isn’t as masculine/strong of a name as [name]Henry[/name] or [name]Thomas[/name] to me. Here are a few other thoughts for you (sorry if they have been posted.)

[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Allen[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] (I love [name]Artie[/name], I don’t know why)
[name]Bolton[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Winthrop[/name]

I still like [name]Simon[/name], but I thought I would add to your thought process.

Yes, I sense your agony, erikam! I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help, but if you love [name]Simon[/name], then go for it. I guess my views are better stated like the poster before me - [name]Simon[/name] just doesn’t seem as masculine, strong, and handsome as [name]Henry[/name] or [name]Thomas[/name].

Names from my personal list that you might like:

[name]Nathaniel[/name] - [name]Nate[/name], [name]Nathan[/name], heck, even [name]Niel[/name] might work!
[name]Theodore[/name] - [name]Theo[/name] is cute! [name]Ted[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] are viable options, too.
[name]James[/name] - An old classic that is fresh when not shortened to [name]Jim[/name]. [name]Jamie[/name] is a cute nickname, but [name]James[/name] is great alone!
[name]Bennett[/name] - An alternative to [name]Benjamin[/name] if a relative has that name.

(Two names at the top of my list are [name]Henry[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]James[/name].)

Other names that might work:

[name]Adam[/name] - A classic Biblical name with a modern feel.
[name]Anthony[/name] - Have your very own tiger with a little [name]Tony[/name]!
[name]David[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Jack[/name] ([name]Jackson[/name]?)
[name]Jacob[/name] - A consistently popular choice, and [name]Jake[/name] is really cute!
[name]Jude[/name] - Matches excellently with [name]Julian[/name].
[name]Michael[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name] - Not as saintly as [name]Patrick[/name], but same feel…
[name]Peter[/name] - [name]Pete[/name] is too cute!
[name]Samuel[/name]

Check with hubby and see!

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Simon[/name], and from your list, I really love the combination of [name]Simon[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]. I think it’s very handsome! :slight_smile: (I love [name]Henry[/name], too.) :slight_smile:

From your girls’ list, I really love [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name].

If you’re not set on [name]Simon[/name], you may also like (and my apologies for repeats):

[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Simon[/name] but not the nn [name]Si[/name]. I think it’s important to choose a name that both you and your husband love though. [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] are great names, too. Too bad your dh doesn’t like them.
I also love your choices for your daughter’s name if your baby is a girl.

Sometimes dads just don’t like any names. Then the mom has to just choose something. But there is time for your dh to consider names.

Names that are classic and handsome like [name]Henry[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], and [name]Simon[/name]:

[name]Anders[/name]
[name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Archer[/name] nn [name]Archie[/name] - the [name]Archie[/name] nn helps this name to sound classic.
[name]Benjamin[/name] nn [name]Ben[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name]
[name]Declan[/name] - this is a saint’s name.
[name]Edward[/name] nn [name]Ted[/name] or [name]Ward[/name]
[name]Frank[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Julian[/name] nn [name]Jules[/name]
[name]Leonardo[/name], [name]Lionel[/name], [name]Leopold[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name] - [name]Leo[/name] sounds kind of classic, but the three other names sound vintage.
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] - I think this is one of your mn choices. [name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Nicholas[/name] nn [name]Nick[/name], [name]Cole[/name], [name]Colin[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Ted[/name], [name]Teddy[/name], [name]Theo[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name], [name]Liam[/name]

Let us know if you get interested in other name styles.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Simon[/name], one of the best!

I love [name]Simon[/name], and know a very cute one - one of my [name]Henry[/name]'s friends (age 4). Also, [name]Simon[/name] is not as popular as [name]Henry[/name] in the U.S. (We have been bombarded with [name]Henry[/name]'s the past few years where I live). I also like [name]Simon[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] a lot. Good luck – my husband vetoed a ton of names I liked too, including [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name]!

I love [name]Simon[/name]! I would say [name]Simon[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] is my fave choice. [name]Simon[/name] is a handsome name that’s not overdone or stuffy and I don’t think it’s nerdy at all, somewhat dashing actually. It’s simple but not dull, active and thoughtful. Good luck finding the perfect name!

I think [name]Simon[/name] is great! We’re expecting a little boy and have settled on [name]Henry[/name], but [name]Simon[/name] was one of the last names to get eliminated from our list. (I also love your girl’s names - we have similar naming styles). :slight_smile:

Congrats on the baby and good luck!

Thanks for the assurance! And congratulations to you as well on your little boy. Best wishes.

[name]Jill[/name], I always look forward to hearing your opinion. I’ll keep you and nameberry-ites posted on how our baby-naming progresses. At least we have settled on our girl’s name!

[name]Hi[/name]! :slight_smile: Thanks your sweet comment! I’m glad you’ll keep us all posted. I really love your style, and I can’t wait to see which you pick!

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile: