Needing advice on these two short names?

I really like the name [name_u]Joss[/name_u] for a boy as a stand alone name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it needs to have a longer name or could it work as it is with a longer middle name?

Also quite like [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], however I’m not a fan of the spelling and wouldn’t want to use the traditional [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] either. So I think it’s off the table :frowning:

How about [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] or [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] with nicknames as you mentioned?

Joss can definitely work on it’s own! It reminds me of director [name_u]Joss[/name_u] Whedon. I think it’s such a handsome, sweet name.
I really love [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], too. Maybe [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] or [name_m]Rafael[/name_m]/Raphael could work?

1 Like

I think both could be stand alone names. If you don’t like [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] you could use the longer [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m].

Joss is a little boy feminine to me. I think it works though! I like [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], maybe [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] or [name_m]Rafi[/name_m]/Raffy?

I think [name_u]Joss[/name_u] is very cool and can be a standalone.
is rafe pronounced like safe with an r?

I think [name_u]Joss[/name_u] can stand alone!

However, [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] could work.

As for [name_u]Rafe[/name_u],I think it stands on its own too. There isn’t really another way to spell it phonetically. Maybe Raef? But, I just made that up, lol.

I can’t imagine [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] standing alone, as I automatically think [name_m]Raphael[/name_m].
[name_u]Joss[/name_u] also, I have a hard time seeing it as a full name. It would be a nice nickname for something else though!

Sure, I think that they both work fine on their own. I’m more partial to [name_u]Joss[/name_u] as a nn myself, but [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] is totally a stand alone name. [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] or [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] nn [name_u]Joss[/name_u] are all nice options if you decide to go w/a full name. And I really like [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] & [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] nn [name_u]Rafe[/name_u]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

Like [name_u]Joss[/name_u], hate [name_u]Rafe[/name_u].

Thank you! I love [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Thanks for your replies everyone! Really interesting to get some feedback :yellow_heart:

For those asking, [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] is said like the word safe. In the U.K. it’s a traditional stand alone name but I agree it would be a great nickname for [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m].

[name_u]Joss[/name_u] might still be my favourite though :blush:

1 Like

Joss is fantastic and I totally think it could stand alone!!

I’d say [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] and [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] quite differently

1 Like

I think [name_u]Joss[/name_u] and [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] could be stand alone names.

I think they boy work as standalone names and are quite lovely :slight_smile:

I think both can definitely work as stand alone first names.

Thank you for getting back to me everyone, it’s so helpful to read opinions.

I think [name_u]Joss[/name_u] and [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] both work as stand-alone names. I actually know a boy named [name_u]Rafe[/name_u].
I would say [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] and [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] differently but I think you could probably use [name_m]Raffe[/name_m] if you like that spelling better than [name_u]Rafe[/name_u].

The definitely work as stand alone names. But I think [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] would work best with [name_u]Joss[/name_u], and the only one I can think of for [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] is [name_m]Raphael[/name_m].

1 Like

I think they both stand alone just fine! [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] feels more like a full name than [name_u]Joss[/name_u] to me.