Needing advice on weird family/name situation!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], All!

Here’s my situation…I’ve been with my husband for almost 15 years (started dating at 16), and when I met him he had a dog named [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. This was a huge bummer to me, because I’d always loved the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and wanted to one day use it for a child. Sadly, [name_u]Scout[/name_u] the dog passed away almost 5 years ago. I am now pregnant with our 4th child, which happens to also be our first daughter. I’ve convinced my husband to use the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], which he loves, but now I’m having doubts that the rest of the family may think it’s weird. My mom and dad-in-law love the name. What would you guys do? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it would be a little odd?

If so, would you have any other suggestions for me? Something short and spunky and a little different? My other children’s names are: Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m] and [name_m]Slade[/name_m]. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Eh, my family thinks I’m horrible because I have a rule about naming my children after or for anyone in either family.
You love the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u], you have for almost 2 decades by the sound of it…why let them stop you?

Additional Name Suggestions:
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Kyla[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Gia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] (I knew a little girl, a twin, named [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], she was the spunkiest kid I had known)
[name_f]Lois[/name_f]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_f]Bess[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Wynn[/name_u]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]

I say use it; it goes with your other children’s names nicely! Plus it almost seems like fate… You could’ve easily had all boys but now you’ve got a little miss on the way and you’ve loved the name your whole life. :wink:

[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] nicknamed [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. Then, if it starts to feel weird, you can quit it. Also, [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], and [name_m]Slade[/name_m] sound great together.

Use the name you want to use. It’s no one’s business, except your own. Your baby, your rules. Your family will deal with it. You can’t please everyone. And you especially don’t want to regret the name your give her because of everyone else’s opinion.

I don’t think it’s weird. I’m in a similar situation where I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the name [name_f]Willow[/name_f] but my partner’s parents have named their new dog it. This dog will still be alive when I have babies! I wish I had the option to use [name_f]Willow[/name_f] anyway so I think you should go for it. You’ve always loved [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. Your husband is okay with it so his family should respect him. Plus if he had the dog when you first met it’s almost like a cute throwback to that time when you fell in love. Adorable.

[name_u]Scout[/name_u] is lovely btw :slight_smile:

It depends on the links. Was the dog a dog who was snappy and bit a lot or was it a dog who was happy and affectionate? Cause if it’s the first it may not be a good link.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice! I really do love the name, and my three sons keep referring to their sister as “[name_u]Scout[/name_u]” already. I’m still a little on the fence about it. We also like the name [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]. I tend to lean towards slightly masculine names for girls.

Thoughts on [name_u]Finn[/name_u] or [name_u]Noah[/name_u]?

And to answer PP’s question, [name_u]Scout[/name_u] was a dachshund, so he was naturally a little high strung and a bit nippy, but super lovable and very loyal. We all adored him!

I say go for it! My SO’s sister is named after their mother’s pet duck she had as a child. I would have never known had he not told me the story behind it.

I prefer [name_u]Scout[/name_u] over [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. And [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is my brothers name so I can’t see it on a little girl.

If you are having second thoughts because you fear others opinions, I say screw it and use the name you love.

If you are having second thoughts because your mind has changed, maybe try out some other names for a day and see what your gut tells you.

Best of luck!

[name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is adorable and I like it more on a girl than a boy actually. It’s a great name and goes with your son’s names, which, I think are great names. I think you should use it. And I like yellowplums idea too, if you think [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is too out there, than maybe [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. That’s nice too. Your other names? Well, [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is a boys name, I can’t see on a girl at all, sorry! But I like [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is very cute and it would be a good back up if you don’t use [name_u]Scout[/name_u].
Good luck!

If you both love it, then go for it!

[name_u]Scout[/name_u] is cute, and I also like the suggestion of [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. Also, [name_u]Scout[/name_u] from To Kill a Mockingbird’s name was [name_u]Jean[/name_u] [name_f]Louise[/name_f], so you could pick a different name and just call her [name_u]Scout[/name_u].

[name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is a lovely name! If you love it as much as you sound like you do from your post, you should definitely use it whatever your family thinks. As long as you and your husband love the name, that’s the most important part. I agree that using the same name as a beloved pet would be a sweet nod to a happy memory. Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] and [name_u]Scout[/name_u] make a great sibset. [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] are boys’ names so I wouldn’t use them on a girl personally.

To me both [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] are boys names; I can’t see them on a girl. But [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is awesome, and if it’s your favourite, then go for it! The rest of your family will learn to love it as much as you do…it’ll grow on her.

Use it! I see no reason why you shouldn’t.

For me I think [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is a little strange as it was the dog’s name. I’ve grown up with dogs and still have a dog the idea of me giving the same name/previous name of either my dog or my boyfriend’s dog is strange. Also I dislike that [name_u]Scout[/name_u] shares the same starting initial as [name_m]Slade[/name_m] for me the sibling set ‘Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] and [name_u]Scout[/name_u]’ looks off I dislike the double ‘s’.

I would look for names with a similar feel to [name_u]Scout[/name_u]…
Suggestions:
[name_f]Harlow[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Harlow[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Maple[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_u]Hadley[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ebony[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Ebony[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Ripley[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_u]Ripley[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_u]Navy[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Britt[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_u]Britt[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] ~ Lain, [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Slade[/name_m] & [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]

: )

Oddly [name_m]Ive[/name_m] been in the exact same situation. okay not exact, in our case it was his cat. Her name was [name_u]Abbey[/name_u]. When we got pregnant with our first it took forever to find a name and we ended up decided on [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] for both the sound and the meaning…and guess what it gets shortened too 99% of the time. [name_u]Abby[/name_u]. In fact right after bringing her home from the hospital, hubby called his dad to chat and he referred to her as [name_u]Abby[/name_u]…Dads reactions was word for word…“you know you had a cat named [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] right?” Uhh yeah dad…We didnt name the child after the pet. it just happened to be a name we both loved. She’s 7 now and we dont worry about it. Besides, there are worse things to share a name with than a beloved pet. I noticed pretty much no matter what you name your child…someone else has that name too. with 7 billion people its bound to happen. so try not to worry about it. I think [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is a great name for a girl.