Needs some help from Italian/American-Italian Berries!

My SO is American Italian, he feels incredibly connected to that part of his Sicilian culture, due to his relationship with his grandfather (also American born,) while the rest of his family has begun to steer away from their heritage over time. To me, it’s important to honour that part of his background, so when we eventually get married or have children I’d like us to observe some Italian holidays. Of course we won’t be able to do all of them, but some I feel is better than none, as my family observes some other heritage related holidays as well. I have done some googling and found some celebrations in [name_f]Italy[/name_f], but I need some help, I am not really sure which are most significant or how they are celebrated besides attending the parades etc. We do have the Carnavale Festival in town yearly though, which we could always attend. What do your families do during these holidays? Which holidays are most dear to Italians? Thanks!

I’m second-generation Italian-American (father was born in [name_u]America[/name_u], as was I, but grandfather came here years ago). Honestly, my grandfather never bothered to teach us much about our heritage…a few of my cousins took Italian in college, but most of us know a handful of words (and most of them cannot be repeated lol), we were never taught about many customs or anything like that. I can’t really help you there. However, I can say without a doubt that just family and togetherness are important to us. [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] dinners at [name_f]Nonna[/name_f]'s house, family Christmases (usually celebrated on [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Eve[/name_f], I’ve noticed), things like that. It’s not necessarily about festivals or holidays, although I think teaching your future kids about it would be great. Sorry I can’t be of more help! [name_m]Just[/name_m] my perspective :slight_smile: