Negative connotations?

I know the connection, but it doesn’t bother me.

I agree with others- [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is a common enough name that it’s not automatically associated with [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_m]Braun[/name_m]. I think you’re fine to use it. Although, I suppose I’d take pause knowing it might always be on my dad’s mind? I would hate the thought of Grandpa having that connection even if it’s exaggerated.

Nearly every name is going to have a negative association in history or pop culture. It also depends on one’s perspective. One person’s hero is another person’s villain.

In my experience, people just say their first thought on a name, without actually thinking about it. And our brain loves to bring up the negative before the positive.

I wouldn’t worry about this particular association. Not unless you have a whole family of WWII historians.

1 Like

I know of [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_m]Braun[/name_m], but wouldn’t have made the connection without someone pointing it out. There’s so many ev/av starting names popular right now I feel like it really dilutes any association the name might have with her.

I know of [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_m]Braun[/name_m] but wouldn’t have made the connection, [name_f]Eva[/name_f]’s a common enough name that there are plenty more positive associations with it than one negative one for me

Yes, he’s an anomaly. :slight_smile:

Eva is one of the most used names I know of. I’ve taught literally dozens of Avas and Evas in recent years.

It’s not a name like Hitler or Himmler. It’s more a name like [name_m]Charles[/name_m] as in [name_m]Manson[/name_m]. Yes, there was that terrible [name_m]Manson[/name_m], but there are so many other [name_m]Charles[/name_m]’ that it becomes irrelevant.

Honestly I didn’t even know Hitler had a wife and definitely didn’t know her name. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband knows a lot about WWII and I don’t even think he knows that. I’ve read a lot of biographies off of people from WWII. So I think your father is an anomaly. Maybe this would be more wide spread information if you live in [name_m]Germany[/name_m]? I know a wonderful Israeli woman with the name [name_f]Eva[/name_f] (Eh-va). I think it suits her very well. She named her daughter [name_u]Eden[/name_u] (Eh-den).

I voted yes because if you said “who is the first person you think of when you hear [name_f]Eva[/name_f] (eh-va)?” That would be who I think of. But I’m Jewish and while the association is there, my brain doesn’t hear a name and then go through all the celebrities/significant figures with it. I don’t hear [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and immediately think [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_m]Fisher[/name_m], I think of a young girl or the sounds and imagery of the name.
There are some names that are more distinct and the celebrity is my first thought ([name_f]Zendaya[/name_f]. [name_f]Madonna[/name_f]. [name_f]Angelina[/name_f]. [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f].) but [name_f]Eva[/name_f] isn’t one of them.
At the same time, the negative connotation is there. It’s just in the background a bit.

Eva seems quite popular so I think this association is very weak. Our God daughter is [name_f]Eva[/name_f] - but short for [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] so maybe you can lengthen it and just call her [name_f]Eva[/name_f]. We also pronounce it Eh-va.

I mean I can think of two actresses with the name: [name_f]Eva[/name_f] Mendes and [name_f]Eva[/name_f] Longoria.

I am surprised so many say they make that association as I just think [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is so common with so many associations. I wouldn’t let it bother you and would still use it.

I think of [name_f]Eva[/name_f] Perón first, but in Spanish it’s pronounced closer to [name_f]Ava[/name_f], and her husband did most of the bad things.

You name your son Hitler, I might have a problem with it. But, [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is no way connected to that.

Eva is one of my closest friends! So that’s my first association. After that, I think of a couple little girls I know. And I’m a huge history nerd, so I’ve always known about [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_m]Braun[/name_m] - WWII is actually my specialty.

I think you would be fine if you did use it. I didn’t even know that was Hitler’s wife’s name until I read this forum. If you named your child Hitler or [name_m]Adolf[/name_m] that would be a major problem but [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is fine.

I don’t think it would cause lifelong problems for your daughter, because it is a common name, but [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_m]Braun[/name_m] is definitely my first thought whenever I see [name_f]Eva[/name_f] pronounced like [name_f]Ava[/name_f].

I’m aware of the connection but it definitely wouldn’t be my first thought, since [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is a common enough name (unlike, say, [name_m]Adolf[/name_m]). I’ve known a couple of Evas and I don’t think it was a problem for any of them.

I was aware he had a wife and her name was [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_m]Braun[/name_m] but honestly for me the association was never there and still isn’t there when you think of it, while negative if you were to ask “What do you think when you here Eh-va” I would think of [name_f]Eve[/name_f] from [name_m]Wall[/name_m]-E the space robot