Nell as a nn for virginia?

in a naming crisis once again lol. character goes by nell but it’s very much a nickname, previously named penelope but i wanted to find something that felt more meaningful within the story and got stuck between helena (which is one of the more common full names for nell) and virginia, but i feel like nell as a nickname feels like a bit of a stretch. any thoughts?

I would not be able to make any connection between [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] and [name_f]Nell[/name_f] while I was reading, sorry!

I think [name_f]Helena[/name_f] works very well! And [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is a lovely choice.

2 Likes

I agree with the person above, sorry. [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] and [name_f]Nell[/name_f] go great as a combo, though. Maybe her mn could be [name_f]Nell[/name_f] or another name that [name_f]Nell[/name_f] could be a nickname for? There are people that go by a nickname for their mn.

Perhaps I’ve spent way too much time on NB, but I’d accept [name_f]Nell[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]! [name_u]Kit[/name_u] for [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] and [name_u]Billy[/name_u] for [name_u]William[/name_u] are fairly stretchy to me lol. Perhaps you’d be able to add your thought process for getting [name_f]Nell[/name_f] from [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] into the story, through her parents mentioning it to a friend or something?

I don’t think [name_f]Nell[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] makes sense. They don’t share anything but an N in common. If only it worked!

Both names are pretty, though! I’d choose one and run with it. If you like [name_f]Nell[/name_f], make that her full name or choose a different full name. If you like [name_f]Virginia[/name_f], choose a different nickname or have her go by her full name. (Or for both… one could be her middle and the other her first!?)

after sleeping on it for two days i decided i will stick with helena! for plot reasons, i think virginia would’ve made a small plot twist too obvious and i wanted to have a name w greek origins since both of her siblings names are very long and very greek. thanks to everyone who answered!

1 Like