Nell’s baby sister take two!

We’re getting closer to baby sister’s [name_u]August[/name_u] due date!

Our choices are
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] (tied for first but it off-rhymes with our last name)
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Margot[/name_f]

Is [name_f]Ida[/name_f] a name vulnerable to getting made fun of?

I love the name [name_f]Nell[/name_f], it is top of the list if our next baby is a girl :slight_smile: Out of your list I really love [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and also have that on my list (just need to convince husband!)

I vote for [name_u]Vivian[/name_u].

Yes, I think [name_f]Ida[/name_f] would lead to a lot of rude comments from classmates through the years. But children can and will tease each other about all names eventually. (examples from my childhood: [name_f]Tara[/name_f] = A Rat, [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] = A man to kiss and hug, [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] = Care [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_f]Amy[/name_f] = [name_m]Amos[/name_m], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] = all Wizzard of [name_m]Oz[/name_m] comments, [name_f]Brenda[/name_f] [name_f]Jill[/name_f] = BJ comments)

I love the name [name_f]Nell[/name_f] and think [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is just perfect with it. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and third, [name_u]Vivian[/name_u].

Oh, so many great choices! [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is so sweet. I personally prefer something short-ish to go with [name_f]Nell[/name_f], so if it were me I would be inclined to lean away from [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], as lovely as it is. From your remaining choices, I think my favorite might be [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. It shares [name_f]Nell[/name_f]’s gently old-fashioned flavor which I love, and they sound perfect together. I love [name_f]Ida[/name_f] too, but I think I’m missing why it might be susceptible to teasing! So I’m unsure. Without a potential teasing issue, I would rank them like this:

Alice
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Margot[/name_f]

There’s honestly not a name on your list I don’t like though–I’m just thinking which ones I like best with [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. Good luck!

Please use [name_f]Ida[/name_f]!! I have both [name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Nell[/name_f] high on my list and I adore them together. I don’t think she’s get teased. I also like [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. The others I don’t like as much with [name_f]Nell[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Ida[/name_f] (and [name_f]Nell[/name_f]!) :heart:

The only reason I can think of for [name_f]Ida[/name_f] being teased would be if it sounded like a sentence with your surname: [name_f]Ida[/name_f] Horse, or something like that! Otherwise I think it’s a lovely, simple, underrated vintage gem, just like [name_f]Nell[/name_f].

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] would be my second choices.

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] feel a bit too mainstream besides the lovely fresh [name_f]Nell[/name_f].

Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my rankings & thoughts-

1. [name_f]Ida[/name_f]-This isn’t even my personal favorite name on the list, but it’s a. unique, b. simple like [name_f]Nell[/name_f], c. you kind of seem to love it most! I don’t see why it would get made fun of. It’s similar enough to more common names like [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], etc.

2. [name_f]Alice[/name_f]-This is probably my personal favorite. It’s so sweet, kind, classic & smart. She sounds gentle & thoughtful. It goes really well w/Nell. I think it’s fairly common though. At least in my area, I hear it on little tykes all of the time.

3. [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]-This is a little bit fancy next to [name_f]Nell[/name_f], but it’s beautiful. And the nn [name_f]Vivie[/name_f] is fun & pixie-ish.

4. [name_f]Margot[/name_f]-This is nice enough. I like it w/Nell. But it’s also getting kind of popular.

5. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]-I like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] & all of the nns like [name_f]Maisy[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] & my personal favorite, [name_f]Gerty[/name_f]. But [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is stand alone enough on its own that [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] seems unnecessary.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

Why would people make fun of [name_f]Ida[/name_f]? I’m probably missing something here. [name_f]Ida[/name_f] feels like a wonderful name to me. It’s familiar but not too popular, and it’s perfect with [name_f]Nell[/name_f].

I think all of the names on your list are good choices, but [name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] are my favorites.

I really like [name_f]Nell[/name_f] & [name_f]Margot[/name_f] together – both are classy, vintage nicknames and they sound just perfect as sister names! (Without knowing the surname, I can’t really say if it will be too big of an issue or not, but oftentimes it’s not as bad as you might think. :slight_smile: )

I don’t know that [name_f]Ida[/name_f] would get made fun of… And it also pairs perfectly with [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. It would probably be my second choice for you – still liking [name_f]Margot[/name_f] more. (You may have already, but you might consider [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. It could be a pretty alternative if [name_f]Ida[/name_f]'s sound is making you hesitate.)

1 Like

Last name sounds like Graco. So — [name_f]Margot[/name_f] “Graco.”

I’m worried about Idaho, and [name_f]Ida[/name_f] Know.

I love [name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Nell[/name_f] together! Agreed with the others that I wouldn’t worry too much about teasing.

1 Like

I still like [name_f]Ida[/name_f] most, but if you’re worried, have you considered Ada?

It’s short and strong like [name_f]Nell[/name_f], seems to fit the style and vintage of your other names nicely, and has some great namesakes!

I love [name_f]Nell[/name_f] so much! So pretty and sweet. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite with [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Nell[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] just sound like sisters. Kind hearted, adventurous sisters!
I don’t think [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is too much with your last name, I think it sounds nice!!
[name_f]My[/name_f] second pick would be [name_f]Ida[/name_f]. I’m personally not a fan of it, but I think it goes so perfectly with [name_f]Nell[/name_f]! I see your reservations because of the last name, but I think it would be okay. As previous posters have said, kids find ways to make fun of regular names too (my full name is [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], and I grew up with it being so popular I was always like 1 of 3 in a class. So it was common and familiar, and pretty normal sounding, but kids still teased me by changing the h to a second s!). So while I get your worries, I think it should be okay! I love the suggestion of [name_f]Ada[/name_f] too!!! [name_f]Nell[/name_f] & [name_f]Ada[/name_f] are also perfect together, and get rid of your concerns about [name_f]Ida[/name_f] :slight_smile:

Well as the mum of a [name_f]Margot[/name_f], whose number one contender for baby #2 was [name_f]Ida[/name_f], I think you’ve got great taste :joy:. Personally no, I don’t think there’s anything to mock in [name_f]Ida[/name_f] unless it makes something funny combined with your last name. I also really like [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - and I LOVE [name_f]Nell[/name_f], my husband always vetoed it and I’m not sure I’ll ever forgive him :joy:

Personally I’m not a fan of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] compared with your other choices, it’s a lovely name it’s just so ubiquitous where I live, and I knew dozens of Alices at school so it feels like it’s been SO popular for such a long time.

I like all of your name choices.
Maybe consider [name_f]Iva[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Ida[/name_f] is perfect with [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. I wouldn’t worry about teasing since your last name isn’t a word or anything particularly teasable.

My favorites are [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (obsessed) and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is cute too.

Ida is lovely!

With [name_f]Nell[/name_f], I adore [name_f]Ida[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f]! [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] are really nice too.