Nellie or Nell?

I’m due any day now and still undecided on whether to name my baby girl [name]Nellie[/name] with the nn [name]Nell[/name], or name her [name]Nell[/name] with the nn [name]Nellie[/name]. What do you think? Also, I’m struggling with middle names… I would like something a bit more substantial in the middle with maybe a bit of a naturey feel. Also, I know it’s not very substantial/classic, but I’m debating naming her [name]Nell[/name] [name]October[/name] or [name]Nellie[/name] [name]October[/name], as this is our anniversary month. Is this weird/mean to do to a kid?

Lastly, I’m wondering what my daughter’s siblings names could be (although I think it’ll be a while before she has any siblings)

Your thoughts would be great!

Congratulations!

I prefer [name]Nell[/name] with the nn [name]Nellie[/name], because [name]Nellie[/name] has a much more nickname feel to it. There are also some great classic names with the nicknames [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Nellie[/name] if you want something more substantial as a first and then could always call her [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nellie[/name]. I love longer classic names that have an adorable nickname, and then your daughter can always use her longer name if she needs to be professional.

[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]

[name]Nell[/name] [name]October[/name] is very sweet, and its nice that you are looking for something with sentimental significance to give her as a middle. [name]Do[/name] you have any mothers, grandmothers, (or even grandfathers) that either of you would like to honor? If you list all the relatives that you care about (even ones with names you don’t like, sometimes there are variations that are cool) the ladies on nameberry will come up with great combos.

If you decide to go with [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nellie[/name] as a first, there are tons of sibling names that you can go with. Nickname vintage names for girls are becoming popular, and there are some great lists on hot lists. Here are some examples.

Girls

[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Mamie[/name]
[name]Elsie[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Edie[/name] (with long name [name]Edith[/name] if you want)
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Millie[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] nn [name]Tillie[/name] or [name]Mattie[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name] or [name]Georgiana[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name] nn [name]Georgie[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Nessa[/name]
[name]Tessie[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Willa[/name]

Boys
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name] nn [name]Tom[/name]
[name]Alphie[/name]
[name]Archie[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Charlie[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] nn [name]Freddy[/name]
[name]Peter[/name] nn Petie
[name]Edward[/name] nn [name]Eddie[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] nn [name]Sammy[/name] or [name]Sam[/name]
[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] nn [name]Dash[/name]
[name]Peter[/name] nn Petie
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Teddy[/name] or [name]Theo[/name]

If you decide to go with a longer name with [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nellie[/name] as nicknames, all of the names on the above list have wonderful long names as well that you could give a sibling and then use the NN :slight_smile:

Keep us posted as to what you’re thinking! :slight_smile:

I think that I would go with [name]Nell[/name] nn [name]Nellie[/name]. Very cute! It’s great that you are looking for a middle name with meaning for you guys. Sure, [name]October[/name] is different but lot of people complain about having “filler” middle names. Congrads & Good luck!!

I also prefer [name]Nell[/name] (nn [name]Nellie[/name]) as [name]Nellie[/name] is the nickname of [name]Nell[/name]. If you’re worried about [name]October[/name], what about [name]Opal[/name], which is [name]October[/name]'s birthstone?

[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Opal[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Opal[/name] would be darling!

Other middle names that work with [name]Nell[/name]:

[name]Nell[/name] [name]Autumn[/name] (for [name]October[/name] and nature)
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]

Siblings for [name]Nell[/name]:

[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

Best wishes to you!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Nell[/name] [name]October[/name]! I honestly think it is super cute.

I absolutely adore [name]October[/name] as a middle name! It’s a name I’ve always planned to use.

As for [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Nellie[/name], I think it would be best to name her [name]Nell[/name], just so when she is older she has a more formal name to use in situations where [name]Nellie[/name] is too informal, or “cute”. And I think [name]Nell[/name] [name]October[/name] sounds beautiful. [: