Nervous about my favorite name :( Help Nameberry Fans!)

We are no longer sharing with our family and friends. Our poor baby boy choices have been uncritically acclaimed. They’ve ruined [name]Jasper[/name] to the point of no return. They’re silent about [name]Silas[/name], and they’re not far off the mark when they say [name]Quinn[/name] is feminine.

The secret is…I have a favorite that I can’t let them ruin. Although I think I’m giving nameberry fans a clear shot at it. So, here it is… [name]River[/name]. I think it sounds soothing and serene while conjuring up a rugged/masculine image in my mind. I’ve loved this name for a long time. I was happy when [name]Keri[/name] [name]Russell[/name] chose this for her son, hoping that it would take away some of the “[name]River[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name]” association. Most commonly, I hear that it sounds “too hippyish.” One of my friends thought that kids would pick on little [name]River[/name].

I would love to know what nameberry fans think? I can take it.

On the plus side, everyone seems to like our top girl names. In my opinion, the are just as “naturey” or unique without being “out there.” Personally, I think they’re more “hipster” than anything else. We love [name]Violet[/name], [name]Autumn[/name], [name]Scarlet[/name] etc.

Any suggestions would be welcomed as well. Here are some new favorites yet to be tarnished by unpopular reviews: [name]Everett[/name], [name]Charles[/name] (too plain for me but it’s a family name), [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Leo[/name]… Thanks for your help!

BTW, our last name is long and Italian. That might complicate things :wink:

I think [name]River[/name] is okay but I would be much happier if it was a nn not a full name or as a middle name.

Maybe [name]Jesse[/name] [name]River[/name] would please you?

Two more to think about

[name]Everett[/name] nn [name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Cruz[/name] [name]Ramon[/name]

I think that [name]Charles[/name] is a great name and love the nn of [name]Charlie[/name] but it is a different style to [name]River[/name].

I’m sorry, I don’t usually like names like [name]River[/name]. I’m a classic and vintage name lover. There are exceptions such as [name]Reed[/name]. But [name]River[/name] would be a lovely middle name.

My faves on your list:
[name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Carlo[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name] isn’t my style either, but I like it.

Other ideas:
[name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name]
Barnarby
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Finn[/name], nn for [name]Finnian[/name] and [name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Jules[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Rainier[/name] (for Mt. [name]Rainier[/name])
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Stellan[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name] (sounds a lot like [name]River[/name])
[name]Viggo[/name]

I like it! What about [name]Rio[/name] to go with your Italian last name (ending in vowels?)

I absolutely adore [name]River[/name]!!! I prefer it for a girl myself, but I’m strange like that! I know it’s generally a boys’ name and I love it for both genders! I also think it serene, soothing and all that just like you… It also makes me think of picnics by the river which is one of my most idyllic dreams… Sometimes when I’m really stressed, I think about rivers and waterfalls and picnics and flowers and butterflies an pretty things and I can look at things anew… Also, I think about all the force and drive in a river and it just amazes me! It’s fantastic how rivers make me feel better, not just when they’re calm, but also when they’re going wild… I imagine myself saying “but I have a river on my side, so you should be ware!” XD I always felt like rivers protect me, if not by shipping those out to hurt me off to see, then by letting me hide in or next to it (I always feel protected underwater)
A boy with a name with such strong connections is to me ideal! I say go for it!

[name]Rio[/name] is cool!

I think [name]River[/name] is a great choice if it flows (no pun intended - sorry) with your last name. And the [name]River[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name] association isn’t a horrible one - yes, he died under sad circumstances, but he was a good actor who made some really good movies, like a [name]James[/name] [name]Dean[/name] of his generation.

[name]Beckett[/name] is also really cool but might seem unusual with an Italian last name.

hello, I can relate to your family poo pooing your name ideas. I am going through the same thing! [name]River[/name] and [name]Rio[/name] are both on my short list. I have a poll under boys names “[name]Lila[/name] Avelines brothers names” take a look if you like. I really like the name [name]River[/name] but when i did research on the name several things made me nervous 1. A lot of people associate it w a girls names since it has become pop on girls and 2. It was one of high rising names from 2007-2008 [name]River[/name] rose 92 spots from 553 to 461, according to social security records. This information has made me NOT want to use the name because i don’t want my son to have a super common name. I still really love the name. Good luck.

I love [name]River[/name]. But I’m someone who named both of my children my favorite guilty pleasure names (… and was so neurotic about both that it took months to commit to the birth certificate). Comments from family and friends certainly contributed to the nervousness, but I’m very happy that we stuck to the names we loved.

If you really love the name, just do it. The hell with what anyone else thinks.

I don’t think you can go wrong with [name]River[/name], [name]Everett[/name], or [name]Beckett[/name]!!! They actually are all on my list! My only concern with [name]River[/name] is I’m not so sure it’s a name I can see on a grown man. Although I just paired it with a long Italian last name in my head and it sounded quite powerful and successful. If you and your husband love it, I say go with it. Your family will get over it eventually!

Awe, darn! [name]Jasper[/name]'s been ruined for you? :frowning:

I don’t have anything bad to say about [name]River[/name]; it’s just not my style. :slight_smile: If I weren’t a classic/vintage name fan, I may very well have been a huge [name]River[/name] fan due to it’s calm associations.

I REALLY love [name]Everett[/name], [name]Charles[/name], the combo [name]Everett[/name] [name]Charles[/name], [name]Leo[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] [name]Leo[/name], but if your last name ends in an o, I’d personally go with a different name), and [name]Beckett[/name], too.

From your girls’ names, I love [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name].

Some more ideas:

[name]August[/name]/[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Blaise[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Dante[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] (I love [name]Leo[/name] [name]Gideon[/name])
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name] (To me, it’s more masculine than [name]Quinn[/name])
[name]Quinten[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]/[name]Reid[/name] (I think [name]Susan[/name] mentioned this) :slight_smile:
[name]Simon[/name] (close to [name]Silas[/name])
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Samson[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name] (ditto)
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]

Girls (I tried to fit in a lot of nature names):
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Briony[/name]/[name]Bryony[/name] (plant name)
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]/[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]/[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]/[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love it… actually I had a post in here with that name. I have the same problem people usually go with Old [name]Man[/name] [name]River[/name] though for me…unfortunately. The worst part is I love the names [name]River[/name]…and [name]Phoenix[/name]…just said part is it’s associated with late man himself.

For what it’s worth - I love the names you’ve listed on both sides and almost all of them were on my list for my baby. I love [name]River[/name] but I struggled with the concerns other posters have raised. So I didn’t chose it but I still love it and on the right baby, it would be perfect.

I like [name]River[/name] a lot, but I’m not sure if its something that I would choose myself.
More importantly, your parents had their turn at naming and raising kids, now its your turn! My mother didn’t like our sons name either until he came. Now she says she couldn’t imagine him being anything else. I know that for us, it’s hard enough for the two of us to agree, let alone the rest of the family.
Good luck!

Thanks for the great suggestions! A lot of them were on my long list.

for girls names I like [name]Autumn[/name]. It’s Stav in Hebrew which is really nice. For [name]River[/name] personally I don’t like the association with [name]River[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name] and his untimely death. I nixed [name]Aliya[/name] for that reason. Maybe look for water names in other languages?

I’m not a big fan of [name]River[/name] but I think it’s alright and I don’t think the [name]River[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name] association is that big of a deal. Also, you can get away with anything in the middle spot, so if it’s close to your heart but you’re nervous about subjecting it to scrutiny, you can safely place it there. Of your list, my favorite is [name]Leo[/name].

[name]River[/name] + a long Italian name might sound really nice! Your last name would probably help with the “too hippyish” feeling of it. I like it…simple, strong, unpretentious.

I don’t get a hippy feel at all from [name]River[/name]…I [name]LOVE[/name] it, and I only associate it with a boy name. I wouldn’t like it on a girl at all…Use it!

Go with what you love and don’t have any regrets.

Everyone keeps asking me what we’re going to name our twin boys and I won’t even tell them my ideas. I don’t want them to be picked apart. It’s best to be let them all know at the birth.