New and in need of help naming baby boy!

[name]Hi[/name] all–I’m new here and also new to the world of parenting. We’re expecting our first child this fall, and we just found out that we’re having a boy. While this is exciting, it’s also a little daunting for us, because we come from families of girls and we had a long list of potential girls’ names, but had made no progress on our boy list! My husband finally tabled it and decided we should only revisit it if it turned out we needed to. So, of course—we need to! We are really at a loss, with few names we agree on and none that feel like “ours.” I’m really hoping to get a few (or even one!) names we love, since with our girl names I was really starting to feel that the baby was one of those people, and I want to feel the same way now that we know he’s a boy. I’d love any thoughts any of you Nameberry folks might have on names we might want to consider.

Here’s a bit about what we’re hunting for:

• Last name is two syllables ending with “een”
  • No names starting with D, and no names starting with B unless they’re extraordinary (would match both parents’ initial or alliterate w/ last name)
  • Trying to stay out of top 100, but flexible for the perfect name. Definitely nothing in the top 10. We’re most comfortable in the 200s and 300s—names people have heard before and don’t raise an eyebrow at, but that won’t cause playground confusion.
  • No common-nicknames-as-full-names, even if it is a name in its own right (have one of these in the family already and sick of explaining it)

Whew! To further complicate things, my husband has vetoed using the names of any friends or their children, and we can’t use the names of any family members who are living for cultural reasons. This eliminates a huge number of otherwise lovely names. The middle name will probably be [name]Michael[/name] (family name) unless the first name starts with M.

Here’s what’s on our maybe list: [name]Nicholas[/name] (probably nn [name]Niko[/name]), [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Simon[/name], [name]Max/name, [name]Sam/name, [name]Felix[/name]

We’re really not feeling any of these, though (and you’ll notice that several break half of our “rules”!)

Names considered but out for various reasons: [name]Eli[/name] in its many forms, [name]Elliott[/name] (reminds husband of E.T., though not sure why this is bad!), [name]Harry[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Noah[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Arlo[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Miles[/name]/[name]Milo[/name], [name]Theo[/name] (husband can’t get past Cosby Show), [name]Andrew[/name], [name]Nathan[/name], [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Yuri[/name], [name]Ezra[/name] (husband concerned this is too trendy—puzzling in light of other picks!), and [name]Jacob[/name], among others. (Some of these we like, but can’t use; many of these I like but husband doesn’t, so could be worth working on it a bit.) We also have the [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name] book and have been through every name in there without much progress.

Help! Does anyone have any suggestions of names we should think about? We seem to gravitate towards classic traditional names, and are very open to older underused names, but aren’t fans of new/modern names. Our last name works best with 2-3 syllable names, it seems. If it helps any, our top girl picks were [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Ada[/name], and [name]Norah[/name]. (We’re undecided on having a second child, so we’re not worried about “saving” anything or trying to coordinate potential sibling names—that’s just to give a sense of our style.)

Thanks so much!!

Congrats! Boys are fun!

[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Brenton[/name]/[name]Brent[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Judah[/name]
[name]Weston[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that wasn’t a shot in the dark!

Congrats!! [name]Hope[/name] you like some of my suggestions…

[name]Roman[/name]/[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Laszlo[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]/[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Orson[/name]
[name]Fraser[/name]/[name]Frasier[/name] (love it)
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]

I really love [name]Simon[/name] from your list (:

[name]How[/name] about…

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Jeremy[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Warren[/name]

Thanks all! (And @garnet, we will happily take shots in the dark…I’m thinking that’s about where we are right now! ;))

We’ve tossed around a few of these (and a few more are out because we have friends or pets with them) but some are new or haven’t been discussed recently—I’ll see if any of them click with my husband. [name]Dexter[/name] is actually one of the D names I love (also [name]Desmond[/name] and [name]Dashiell[/name]) but sadly D names are off limits (both my husband’s name and my name start with D and we want to avoid having the same initial for everyone (confusing enough with the two of us—only saving grace is that I kept my maiden name so we use first+last initials if we’re labeling or writing it!) Who knew figuring this out would be so hard—we had a list of ten we both liked a lot on the girls’ side with one pass through the name book!

I’m also curious about how easy it is to avoid nicknames—[name]Arthur[/name] is one I like, for instance, but it came off the list because of the nicknames [name]Art[/name]/[name]Artie[/name], which we don’t like. I’m thinking that unless there’s another natural nickname (as with [name]Nicholas[/name]—I imagine we can avoid [name]Nick[/name], though we don’t mind it, if we use [name]Nico[/name] from the beginning) we’ll likely wind up with the nickname eventually, but not sure this is true—any thoughts from those of you who already have little ones?

Thanks!

P.S. Memomo, we’re due the same week you are! :slight_smile:

Okay, I am up for the challenge! I loved the girl’s names you had picked out, and I’m going to (try my hardest to) follow your guidelines.
You said your style is classic, but it also feels vintage to me. From your list, I love [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Simon[/name] and I think those would work perfectly for you guys.

Other suggestions (sorry for repeats, I tried to avoid them):
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] (darn, just saw in your no-go list. If it’s not the name of friends or family, I’d try with this one)
[name]Isaac[/name] (it’s really popular though)
[name]Bennett[/name] (love [name]Benjamin[/name], but this has a vintage charm to it)
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name] (I know D names are off limits, but this one just felt like it work for you)
[name]August[/name]
[name]Harris[/name]/[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Amos[/name] (I don’t know, but something about this could work… Also, the singer [name]Amos[/name] [name]Lee[/name] changed my mind about the name - his voice is amazing)
[name]Winston[/name]
[name]Marcus[/name]

Thanks rachelmarie—yes, vintage is definitely our style. (I’ve been using that interchangeably with classic but realize in the process of looking at all the name lists that it isn’t the same, really…) [name]Oliver[/name] is up for grabs apart from hubby not liking it, so it’s already on my “try, try again” list…and one on your list is actually our dog’s name (note to self: stop using up human names we agree on for the pets!) so you’ve definitely got our vibe down! :wink:

I’m glad I could help you out some! [name]Oliver[/name] is definitely one to try for.
Haha I totally understand the whole dog/human name thing. My family’s new-ish puppy is named [name]Jackson[/name], which made that and [name]Jack[/name] off limits for me, sadly. And I have to ask, what name did you choose for your dog?

If you’re using [name]Michael[/name] as a middle name and your last name is also 2 syllables, you might want to use a 1 or 3 syllable first name so they’re not all 2 syllables.

As far as nicknames go, I have 2 boys and even though they have nicknames, I always come back to their given name. I interchange them constantly. They’re only a few years old, so we’ll see what sticks when they start having friends.

Here are a few ideas.
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Curtis[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Allen[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Mitchell[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Russell[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]

A few Ideas for you that haven’t been mentioned yet! :slight_smile:

[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Gerard[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] I helped!!

Ok… I was up ALL night (I have insomnia) thinking about names that could work for you guys.
I must point out that [name]Dexter[/name] would be great for you guys, though. :lol:
[name]How[/name] about…
[name]Anthony[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] IT)
[name]Carter[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Gallagher[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name] (too different?)
[name]Travis[/name]
[name]Geoffrey[/name] (I love it :D)
[name]Weston[/name]
[name]Jude[/name] (I think [name]Simon[/name] [name]Jude[/name] is adorable!)

…hope I help!

Lots of great suggestions, but I love all the names on your maybe list – particularly [name]Felix[/name] [name]Michael[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] [name]Michael[/name]. And I also love [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Michael[/name] – I know you said your hubby can’t get past the Cosby Show, but that’s exactly what my husband’s original argument against it was, but now that we’re much closer and still have no name, he actually suggested it himself (preferring [name]Theo[/name] over [name]Teddy[/name]/[name]Teddie[/name]). So you never know. Once he starts thinking of it as his son’s name and now just “a” name, he might change his tune.

To your question about nicknames, my name is [name]Catherine[/name] and (despite my username here) I have gone through life (I’m in my 30s) without a nickname. Sure, people will sometimes call “Cath” or “C” if they’re trying to get my attention quickly, but I have always been (and will always be) [name]Catherine[/name], and it wasn’t even through a great effort by me or my parents – everyone just called me that. So I think it’s very possible to avoid established nicknames becoming his commonly used name. My only caveat would be that at some point he might prefer one, in which case you’d have to be prepared to be okay with that. But if you and your family only ever call him [name]Arthur[/name] (for example), no one else will have any reason to call him anything else.

Good luck! Congrats on your baby boy!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! So we spent a long time last night going through these and revisiting some on my list that had been vetoed (though a few from this morning are new so may need to loop them in! Oh, and @rachelmarie, our dog is [name]Augie[/name], sometimes called [name]Augustus[/name]. :slight_smile: ([name]August[/name] is out for other reasons anyway, though—sad since we both love it!) We also decided [name]Michael[/name] as the middle is negotiable if there’s a first name that we love that just doesn’t work with it, so we’ll leave that open.

It’s also good to hear the nickname feedback…in our family now, we also have lots of first-initial nicknames (“D,” “B,” etc.) which I hadn’t thought about—there are definitely some letters that lend themselves to that more than others (hard to imagine a nickname of “S” or “F” in the same way that I can imagine “E” or “T”).

Here’s what we’ve got after round 27 of this…
[name]Asa[/name]—[name]Love[/name] the name, husband lukewarm, and both concerned about teasing/nickname issues…

[name]Benjamin[/name] ([name]Ben[/name])—Still unsure about the first name-last name same letter thing, and the popularity is a strike against this, but I still love it and husband is okay with it. Popularity is also lower in our state than it is nationally and there were NONE at the 50-something student, boy-heavy daycare/preschool I visited today! :slight_smile:

[name]Ezra[/name]—I like this, but husband is lukewarm—left it in play for now.

[name]Elliott[/name]—I love this, but have a friend (not local, so we’re open to it) who’s used it, and the daycare/preschool this morning had two… :confused:

[name]Felix[/name]—Still on the list since we both think it’s okay, though it doesn’t feel quite right.

[name]Gus[/name]—Like this but obviously can’t use [name]August[/name] as the full version, so we’re contemplating [name]Angus[/name]…?

[name]Ike[/name]—Last-minute addition that husband likes, though he would go for no full name and I’d only be okay with [name]Isaac[/name] nn [name]Ike[/name]. And I’m not convinced I like it at all…

[name]Linus[/name]—Husband likes for the [name]Linus[/name] Pauling association, but I’m not sure about it.

[name]Max[/name]—We don’t like any of the long forms of this, so it would be just plain [name]Max[/name], which will make me crazy but which my husband thinks is fine. I’ve loved this one since I was tiny because of Where the [name]Wild[/name] Things Are, but am iffy on its rising popularity. (This doesn’t make our state top 100, though, so a bit better here.) On the upside, the other “nickname” name in our family is one where there is only one long form and it’s an extremely common GenXer name so people are constantly changing it on paperwork or other formal docs assuming we “forgot” to put the full name, whereas with [name]Max[/name], I’m not sure people would necessarily assume a specific long form, so maybe that would work.

[name]Samuel[/name] ([name]Sam[/name])—We both like [name]Sam[/name] but would probably rarely use the full name. Also have a friend who’s used it, but they’re not local so we decided it’s fair game.

[name]Theodore[/name]—Back on the list! However, husband wants [name]Ted[/name] as the nickname and I want [name]Theo[/name], so that may knock it off again.

[name]Simon[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] have fallen off the list for now, but we are both okay with them so they may resurface.

Would love any thoughts people have on any of these, and on our concerns around them. Thanks!

Congrats on expecting your first baby! I’m due a few weeks after you, already have two boys, and will find out what we’re having in a few weeks. I’m really hoping it’s a girl, because coming up with a third boys name that we love is SOOO difficult–can you imagine going through this process THREE times?

Some thoughts on some of the names you listed:

[name]Asa[/name]- like this, but as an alternative (and perhaps less potential for teasing) is [name]Esa[/name] prn. EE-sa; my best friend used this on her little boy, apparently it has a few meanings and one is “unity” or “oneness” in Indonesian.

[name]Benjamin[/name] - unbelievably popular, despite it not being so where you live… (remember your son may not live in your state forever!)

[name]Elliott[/name] - I also love this, but I love [name]Everett[/name] more… it’s my second son’s middle name, otherwise I’d use it this time! Have you considered it?

[name]Felix[/name] - I feel the same way you do–I know I should love it, but it just doesn’t feel right!

[name]Ike[/name] - not if it’s not short for [name]Isaac[/name]. Also, it’s my cat’s name so I can’t really be impartial!

[name]Linus[/name] - cool, but I think [name]Silas[/name] is better… have you ever seen the show Weeds? The character [name]Silas[/name] is very good looking (google [name]Hunter[/name] [name]Parrish[/name]!) and super cool, he made me [name]LOVE[/name] this name. The nickname [name]Si[/name] or [name]Sy[/name] is awesome.

[name]Max[/name] - it’s everywhere. [name]Just[/name] everywhere.

[name]Sam[/name] - see [name]Max[/name].

[name]Theodore[/name] - was my second pick for my first son, who ended up being [name]Leo[/name]. So we couldn’t use [name]Theo[/name] after him. Definitely love [name]Theo[/name] more than [name]Teddy[/name], but perhaps there’s a way to use both nicknames?

If you’re open to other suggestions, I’ll try to think of some more…

Thanks! (And yes, always open to more suggestions!) Funny about [name]Silas[/name]…we like it but it flows terribly with our last name, so it didn’t make the list. Then at my school visit this morning, there were two of them! (The names line the walls over cubbies, so I kept watching to see what was there.) I should probably add that we live in a city full of a funny mix of yuppies and hipsters—hence my husband’s worry that [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name] were “too popular” while names like [name]Ben[/name] and [name]Sam[/name] didn’t raise any flags. :wink:

I’m thinking [name]Theodore[/name] is worth working on some more, if we can use [name]Theo[/name]. (We talked about [name]Leo[/name], too, which is a family name on both sides.) Uncommon overall and common enough locally that it isn’t weird, so we just have to get past my husband responding to every suggestion of it with “y’see, Theooooh” (most recently, addressed to the baby in utero, so maybe that’s promising???)