New baby is home, but her name doesn't feel right!

Ooooh! I love [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], too, but like others have said, if you’re not comfortable with the name, there’s nothing wrong with finding a new one. (I love [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name], too, and for what it’s worth, [name]Charlotte[/name] feels timeless and elegant to me…)

Some more names you may like (sorry for repeats):

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Rosaline[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] (nn [name]Annie[/name])
[name]Tabitha[/name] (nn [name]Tibbie[/name])
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

I really loved the idea of using [name]Catherine[/name] up front and [name]Violet[/name] in the middle!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], but I do feel that the flow is not quite as good as it would be with the name reversed – ie, with the name [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Violet[/name]. Perhaps that is what is making the name sound not quite right to you? [name]Violet[/name] is a lovely name, but it is a bit more feminine than some. [name]Catherine[/name] projects a stronger image for me. Together, they balance each other well. You could also consider [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Viola[/name] ([name]Viola[/name] also meaning ‘violet’.).

I think [name]Rose[/name] is a good suggestion, if you decide to change it. Its mostly used as a middle so as a first its quite fresh. Plus its a classic and very simple yet rich.

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]

I came across your post a couple of days ago and have been thinking of you and [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. The name [name]Violet[/name] has been much on my mind because my granddaughter is due to have her baby this week and it’s looking like [name]Violet[/name] [name]Jane[/name] will be the baby’s name. [name]Jane[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] has been the other name under consideration, so you can see why your daughter’s name is of interest to me.

I think [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is a beautiful name. Maybe by now you’re happy with the name again, but if you’re still having doubts, I want to share my thoughts about your concerns with the name:

“all of a sudden it sounds too frilly and frail” …"I’m also having a hard time seeing it as serious enough for a grown woman. "

In their newest book “Beyond [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aidan[/name]”, nameberry’s [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] classify [name]Violet[/name] as a “Womanly name” - “clearly feminine but also serious and grown up”. Thus, they see [name]Violet[/name] as not too frilly or frail at all and definitely suitable for a grown woman. The name seems so grown up to my granddaughter that she’s thinking about using the nickname “[name]Letty[/name]” for her baby.

“I’m also hearing the word Violence and Vile.”

Yes, unfortunately there’s that, and those of us who use the internet to gather more information about a name are going to run into that ON THE INTERNET-- it never occurred to me until I read it on a baby name website. BUT

1. I don’t think most people think of those words when they hear the name [name]Violet[/name]
  2. There are MANY personal names that have sound-a-like words (or worse, slang terms associated with them). I think they’re soon forgotten when it’s the [name]PERSON[/name] with the name that you’re thinking of. (Eg., I have a son [name]Robert[/name] whom we call [name]Rob[/name], but I don’t think of the verb “to rob” when I say his name.)
  3. If others have any image when they hear the name [name]Violet[/name], it would more likely be of the flower and/or the color
  4. I think you’ll soon forget about the similar sound (but opposite image) of those words and the lovely name [name]Violet[/name], your daughter’s name

“Now I’m thinking a classic name would suit her best.”

I really like classic names too. That’s why I was happy to discover that [name]Violet[/name] is a vintage classic, a name that has been in use for hundreds of years but now seems old-fashioned – and at the same time “new” because the name was out the U.S. top 1000 names for many years. [name]Violet[/name] has been in use as a female name since the Middle Ages and was especially popular in the U.S. at the beginning of the 20th century, being a top 100 name for baby girls from 1901-1926 and extremely popular in [name]Britain[/name] during that same period.

What do you think of when you hear the name [name]Violet[/name]?

I think of an old-fashioned, classy, classic name that’s being given to baby girls again. I think of a darling little girl, like those in photos of baby Violets I’ve seen online. And very soon, I may be thinking of my first great grandchild.

“I know this is so bad”

Oh no, not at all. In fact I don’t think it’s at all unusual to have doubts about the name you’ve chosen for your daughter. It’s such a huge responsibility to choose the name your child will be known by all of her life. I’m guessing you spent a lot of time choosing your daughter’s very pretty name. If you haven’t done so, you might want to write down all the things about the name [name]Violet[/name] that drew you to it. Then when you’re having doubts, you can look through your list and be reminded.

When my granddaughter mentioned that they might name their baby [name]Violet[/name] (the name of a great-grandmother of the baby’s dad), I didn’t know very much about the name and had some doubts about it. So for my granddaughter – and myself – I did extensive internet research on the name and checked it out in my name dictionaries and baby name books. I compiled an 8-page report and printed out a copy for myself too. Looking through it (here in front of me while I write this), I’m reminded of what a fine name [name]Violet[/name] is.

I think you’ll find yourself loving the name more and more. I have!

(PS I’ve been getting feedback on [name]Violet[/name] and two other names my granddaughter was considering: [name]Baby[/name] girl [name]Smith[/name]: what would you advise?)

I think that [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] sounds very good… but I also like the sound ouf [name]Scarlett[/name]…

I just want to give you a big hug!

Depending on your daughter’s age, I’d say to give it time.

Hormones are pretty crazy postpartum, and that’s enough to mess with the most steadfast of us! I know I doubted my son’s name for months after his birth and my wonderful husband always reassured me. I knew before his birth that it was right, and it certainly still was afterward, I was just a mental/hormonal mess! I wouldn’t change it for the world now!

I love your daughter’s name by the way! [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is classic to my ears and a name that will age well. If you feel like it you can come up with a variety of different nicknames to call her: [name]Vi[/name], [name]Lettie[/name], [name]Viva[/name], [name]Vera[/name] or even call her by her middle name or a variation thereof (like [name]Cate[/name]!).

I hope that this all will sort itself out for you quickly! [name]Just[/name] be sure not to do anything rash while you are still balancing yourself out and adjusting to life with your sweet daughter!

Best of luck!

[name]Violet[/name] is beautiful! I don’t see any of the contrived negative terms in relation to the name.

Picturing [name]Violet[/name] at various life stages: I can see it as the name of: (1) an adorable little girl, (2) a popular college student, (3) a well-respected attorney, and (4) the name of the classiest older lady at the women’s club.

[name]Violet[/name] is old fashioned and it sounds great with [name]Catherine[/name]. You may not like it now but watch her grow into it. [name]Vi[/name] is a wonderful nickname. I think it will grow on you. But for the next child. Go through you list of names and call out for random things like. “I love you [name]Violet[/name].” “[name]Violet[/name] I told you to get off the counter.” “this is my daughter [name]Violet[/name].” [name]Say[/name] these things like thier actually happening. If you don’t feel right about then try another thing I did. I went on google seach and found random pictures of baby girl, little girl, child aged girl, teen girl, woman and old lady and put the name to the face of each age. Does if work for you? What age group did it not fit for you? If you did’nt like it on the baby face remember she won’t be a baby forever. [name]Just[/name] some of my tips. GL! I really like [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. You should save [name]Charlotte[/name] for next time:)

I am sure that in one way it is encouraging that we all love the name you have chosen for your baby girl but in another way it may be putting pressure on you to keep a name that you don’t truly feel comfortable with.

I know you are probably worn out but see if you can take some time out to look within and feel what is right for you, find what is really in your heart. Listen to the deepest feelings and work out if you think your feelings towards [name]Violet[/name] may be temporary or indeed that YOU need another name.

Sending hugs and hopefully support to you.

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is gorgeous! Wait a little to see if you think she grows into it.

I’m not sure if anyone will read this, but I wanted to update everyone that contributed to this post. You were all a huge part of my decision and I can’t thank you enough. In fact, whenever I was having another mini “name-freak-out” I would refer back to all of your kind words. I was often brought to tears by everyone’s empathetic responses.

I am sitting here holding my healthy and beautiful two month old, [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], and I wouldn’t change a thing. I couldn’t erase the long love affair I had with her name or the funny and coincidental moment when my beloved doctor, just minutes after delivering our baby girl, revealed that his mother’s name is [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Violet[/name]. I definitely couldn’t take away the moment when her daddy proudly declared her to be “[name]Violet[/name]” just seconds after he cried, “We have a girl!” He even told the nurse, as she was cleaning her off, that he thought she looked like a [name]Violet[/name], and that he thought it was a great name. The nurse agreed of course and went on to say that her aunt’s name was [name]Violet[/name]. There was such a strong energy for “[name]Violet[/name]” in the room, how could her name be anything else? This is all forever captured, as my husband started recording the moments after her birth :slight_smile:

After all of that, do I still worry about her name? Yeah, that’s my nature. But everyday I love it more and more (her too!). Some of my friends have started to call her [name]Vi[/name], which is beautiful. I’m thinking she might even be a “[name]Lettie[/name],” which makes me smile. Mostly, she’s still my little pea, pumpkin, or mishu… but I have to admit, I now love when people ask me her name. I too am very proud!

[name]Shay[/name],

I’m so pleased for you! I commented early on in this poll, but I’m so happy that you’ve come to adore your daughter’s name. The significance it has for you is amazing - I loved your story recounting all of the incredible “[name]Violet[/name]” moments surrounding her birth!

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is truly one of the most elegant and vivacious of the vintage classics, and I know that Miss [name]Vi[/name] will grow to adore and appreciate your beautiful choice!

Take care! I’m sending you and your baby girl some violets to enjoy!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Shay[/name]!

Thank you so much for updating us!

I am glad that you are feeling better about [name]Violet[/name]'s name. (I had second thoughts about my daughter’s name too, so I could relate to the concerns you were having.)

I want to reiterate that I think the name [name]Violet[/name] is gorgeous. The only image that comes to mind at hearing (or seeing) the name [name]Violet[/name] --besides a very classy girl or woman – is the image of one of the prettiest colors and flowers in the world.

You made a wonderful choice for your daughter’s name! Again, I am so glad you are feeling better!

[name]Hi[/name] shay

I think [name]Violet[/name] is a good balance between frilly and plain. I like its feminity and I knew a beautiful person with this name and we called her Violie.

Keep thinking of the pretty flower, the violet, go and buy a pot of violets and keep them near and concentrate on their beauty instead of the other images.

You can’t go wrong. I think it is a fabulous name, classy, sweet, classic, everything you could wish for in a name.

[name]Catherine[/name] is a well loved name that never ages and I love the spunky [name]Kate[/name]. (My daughter’s mn)

All the best.

rollo

PS I just read your update and it sounds like your baby was meant to be a [name]Violet[/name], and I am glad that you are enjoying her name more.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Shay[/name]! So happy to hear the news that you are enjoying your baby girl with the beautiful name of [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]! I love the stories that were shared in the delivery room! Good luck to all of you!

[name]Hi[/name]! It’s great to hear from you! I’m so glad you’re feeling differently about your baby’s name, and that she’s doing well. :slight_smile: [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is one of the most beautiful names I’ve ever heard, and I loved reading about the [name]Violet[/name] connections when she was born.

Take care! :slight_smile:

I haven’t read any of the other posts, but I’m just going to chime in.

We kept our babies name secret until she was born, so when suddenly everyone we know was saying her name, [name]Isla[/name], it was SO weird! It sounded weird hearing them say it, I felt weird saying it to her. . .just weird. But within a few weeks it was totally normal and we love her name, as does everyone else. She’s 14m now and we can’t imagine another name on her.
ETA: Oh! I just saw your lst post about how you love her name now, good for you!! Congrat!

I love [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] but maybe to you she doesn’t look like a [name]Violet[/name]?

Thank you so much for posting the update! I am new to this board and am so impressed by the supportive, insightful community. I read your post with interest as I’ve heard a few stories about people changing their babies’ names in a fit of indecision, and worry that I might be inclined to do the same myself, being an indecisive and anxious person generally :slight_smile: It was a real comfort to read all of the advice you received and to learn about how little [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] has grown into her name. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

I am so glad that you are happy with your daughter’s name now. [name]Violet[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is beautiful.