New dog, same name?

Hello berries!

I will be picking up my new golden retriever puppy this week and I need some advice on names. You see, I was originally going to be getting a different puppy from a different breeder later in the month… I had paid a deposit, picked her out and had named her [name_f]Daisy[/name_f].

Then I got notified that my little [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] had passed away.

So after many hours and many phone calls later my devastation was abated when I was able to locate another little golden who needed a home.

My question is… do I still use the name [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]? I’ve wanted a golden retriever named [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] for as long as I can remember and I don’t want to just toss the name away on a puppy that I never even got to hold. However, I’m still sad for that puppy that I had started to love and right now when I think [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] I think of (as morbid as it is) a dead puppy.

This has all happened relatively quickly, I don’t want to choose another name and then regret that I didn’t use [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] later on…

Names that I have considered are:

Daisy-besides all the info above its also my favorite flower
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Dixie[/name_f]
Magothy nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mags[/name_f] (its a local river that my partner and I love)
[name_u]Sunny[/name_u]
[name_m]Natty[/name_m]
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]

She is a little redish-gold golden with a tiny white spot on her forehead. Any advice or suggestions or names are welcome!

I’m so so sorry for the loss of your puppy! One thing I will say is, whilst at the moment when you think of [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] you are filled with sadness, if you named a new puppy [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] then I think your first association with the name would quickly change. At the end of the day, it depends on how you personally feel about the name.

If you do decide to go with another name, then I love [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]! I think they would be perfect.

1 Like

I like [name_u]Sunny[/name_u], with [name_f]Luna[/name_f] as a close second.

I had a bunny named [name_f]Roxie[/name_f] who died shortly after we got her of a disease that the breeder did not notify us of. I was very upset that we’d lost our bunny, but I still really loved the name [name_f]Roxie[/name_f] and wanted to use it. We ended up getting a puppy about a month later and decided we’d name her [name_f]Roxie[/name_f] in memory of our bunny and because we still liked that name. The name suits her perfectly and I’ve never regretted it! It’s been 10 years now and she’s still perfect as [name_f]Roxie[/name_f]. I think using [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] would be a nice way to honor the little puppy who passed away and still use that adorable name!

P.S. [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_f]Roxie[/name_f] is a golden retriever too! They’re the best dogs!

3 Likes

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the first puppy. I feel that it would be nice to use [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] especially since you have visualized having a [name_u]Golden[/name_u] Retriever named [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] in what feels like forever, and also you didn’t get to meet the first puppy. Only you can truly know if you are okay with it, but I feel like it would be fine if you just give it a short time and you can also consider [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] an honour name. I would name her [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and if, in a couple weeks, you don’t feel comfortable you can always change it then but I think your new puppy will feel like your [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] very soon. Good luck!

1 Like

Maybe you could use a similar name? Kind of like an honor name for little [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]!

[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_u]Lacy[/name_u]
[name_f]Macy[/name_f]
[name_f]Tacy[/name_f] (my puppy’s name!)

When I got my doggo, she had been dumped with “[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]” written on her collar. We wanted to change it, since the portion of her life spent with that name might not have been a good experience for her. We did want to keep it similar, so we went with [name_f]Tacy[/name_f]!

1 Like

So sorry about the pup! I do think using the name again is totally fine.

Thank you all! I appreciate all of the input.

We picked up our new girl and she is definitely a [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]!