New Family members!

Well, relatively new, anyway. I just got back in tough with my three favorite cousins (all girls) and two of them have kids now. I’m not a fan of any of their names but thought I’d toss them out there to see what you thought of them:

[name]Annalee[/name] Koper (middle is his mom’s maiden name) (She’s [name]Josie[/name]'s age)
[name]Emerson[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (she’s 3)
[name]Britton[/name] [name]Prescott[/name] (he’s about 6 months old now) (and yes, his suname ends in an -on as well as having the same beginnin as his middle too) Sigh

They’re adorable kids but that side of the family seems to be naming challenged. The cousins, (in order from oldest to youngest) [name]Cynthia[/name], [name]Pamela[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name]. Yeah. I’ve always wanted to play “One of these things isn’t like the others”, myself.

I love [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Rose[/name], it sounds antique, but a [name]Britton[/name] [name]Prescott[/name] Prestonish (I’m going off what you said about the surname to get a gen. feel) name is just cringeworthy. D:

Um, my deepest condolences, [name]Lola[/name]! I’m guessing you were the lucky one with the recessive naming gene.

[name]Annalee[/name]: Is so close to [name]Caylee[/name], [name]Haylee[/name], etc., that I started to sweat. Let’s pretend she’s [name]Anne[/name] or [name]Anneliese[/name].

[name]Emerson[/name] [name]Rose[/name]: No comment. Let’s upgrade her to a girls’ name, shall we? [name]Emmeline[/name] is lovely.

[name]Britton[/name] [name]Prescott[/name]: Wow. This one is really upsetting my naming molecules, too. I see she wanted to be an aristocrat.

I laughed so hard when I read your “one of these is not like the others” comment. Sending hugs to Miss [name]Josephine[/name] Rosamel [name]Anne[/name]!

I would have thought [name]Britton[/name] was the girl and [name]Emerson[/name] the boy!

Oh… dear. I was slightly shocked to see such trendy names in use on your kin, it seems wrong somehow! Haha. [name]Annalee[/name] seems slightly southern sounding, maybe because I think of it as a double name ([name]Anna[/name] [name]Lee[/name], or [name]Anna[/name] [name]Leigh[/name], or something.) [name]Emerson[/name] is highly masculine to me, and I don’t like it up front. [name]Rose[/name] is just so placid in the middle. I’m glad [name]Britton[/name] is on a boy, at least, even if the flow is wacky. Well, it’s not an atrocity, I suppose. I’m sure they’re adorable kids! :] I’ve grown accustomed to such names (my boyfriend’s name is [name]Holland[/name], and his sister is [name]Kennedy[/name]. Although I like their names better than these [probably because I like them as people], they still go against my naming principles!), it’s just a let down when your family uses them, you know?

I just realized that [name]Annalee[/name] is very close to anally. Not good. ([name]Lola[/name], one side of my family similarly went the trendy way, and I’m still stunned! Darling children, though.)

I also have a new family member named [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. It seems to be a very common combination. Isn’t that the exact name of [name]Teri[/name] Hatcher’s daughter? I dislike it myself, but they exclusively call her emmy, which is cute.

I am so glad to see all these responses! I was horrified by their names (if I could post picutes I would but if anyone’s on facebook, gimme a shout (LolaMacKenzie) and you’ll be able to see them for yourself.

They really are gorgeous kids but wow! I wish I had been in touch so I could offer suggestions. The girls belong to my cousin [name]Pam[/name], whom I’ve always been closest to. The boy is my cousin [name]Jen[/name]'s and wow, I wish she’d thought that one through, he’s a doll (bald with huge blue eyes!) but wow, wait 'til he gets to school, he’s almost guaranteed to have a girl in his class with a similiar sounding name. I feel bad.

And yeah, I renamed them in my head:
[name]Anneliese[/name] Koper
[name]Emily[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Brendan[/name] [name]Marc[/name] ([name]Marc[/name] is Papa’s name)

On the bright side, I have another cousin (older than me, these three belong to two younger than I) who has two: [name]Amelia[/name] & [name]Alexander[/name]. (a bit matchy at first, but they go by [name]Mia[/name] & [name]Lex[/name]). Not fond of their nicknames but hey, at least they have decent full names to fall back on!

Well, [name]Lola[/name], how’s this for consolation: my sister couldn’t decide between [name]Kylie[/name] and [name]Mackenzie[/name], so she named her baby McKiley.

Argh.

[name]Melissa[/name],

[name]Say[/name] it isn’t so! :-o

[name]Jill[/name], don’t I wish. Sigh. The other sister has a [name]Tiffani[/name]. So speaking of one of these things is not like the other, one day we might have [name]Tiffani[/name], McKiley… and [name]Louise[/name]? Double sigh.

Okay, I even like the name [name]Kiley[/name] (despite its popularity) and I have a [name]McKee[/name] of my own, but McKiley is even a bit much for me (and I am way closer to that style of naming than the rest of you)!
I find it difficult to say. Oh well, I guess that is why there are so many names out there. We all have different tastes!

[name]Kelly[/name], I agree-- it’s too much. I don’t care for made-up names. And my dad can’t ever remember it, so he just refers to her as “[name]Mickey[/name].” (Which, all things considered, I prefer out of the whole lot!)

Oh, [name]Melissa[/name]…Too funny! “Lunch is ready, [name]Tiffani[/name] and [name]Ernestine[/name]…” :slight_smile:

I wonder if the famous fast food [name]MacDonald[/name]'s Restaurants have influenced a lot of people to name their babies McThis and McThat. [name]Kelly[/name] C, you’re different because [name]McKee[/name] is a family name. I think naming babies after family supercedes (spelled wrong I think) all other options unless it’s a name like [name]Horst[/name] or something.

[name]Melissa[/name],
Too funny about your dad calling her “[name]Mickey[/name].” When I was deciding for sure to name my daughter [name]McKee[/name], I tried to think of all the positives and negatives. I knew there would be people who would not like it since it is typically a last name and I knew others would think it sounded too boyish. What I never thought of was that people would think we were saying “[name]Mickey[/name]” instead of [name]McKee[/name]. I now spell her name for people, so they will know. Not sure how I never thought about that happening. I certainly said it and wrote it out enough ahead of time. I guess since I just knew it was [name]McKee[/name] I never heard the [name]Mickey[/name] part of it in my head.
My husband affectionately calls her “Macky” for fun and my father likes to call her Kee.

[name]Susan[/name],
I think we must have been thinking along the same line as I thought of MacDonalds when I saw that name too. Then, I thought to myself… well you have a [name]McKee[/name], so I guess people could be saying the same thing about her name! Of course, it took me a minute to realize that I could be included in that group since [name]McKee[/name] is such a special family name for us and since I picture my daughter when I hear [name]McKee[/name] and not MacDonalds.
Anyway, it is a special family name and to hear how excited my 90 year old Grandmother was to know that we used it makes it worth dealing with any of the negatives that come along with it.
I do think it is funny, though, that we were both thinking the same thing!

[name]Lola[/name], did you ever imagine you’d be altering a baby name to [name]Emily[/name] as an improvement? :o

Nope, :slight_smile: but still think it’s a better choice than what was chosen. I’ve officially offered my services to anyone in the family looking for a name and now it’s going around the family. Whew. Anything to avoid these awful choices again! :smiley:

I totally sympathize, [name]Lola[/name]. :frowning: I have nieces named [name]Kayla[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Ava[/name] [name]Grace[/name]–my [name]SIL[/name] wanted their names to “match”. What is worse is that their last names starts with an “s”, so both [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] run into it!