New Forums / Forum Changes

A while back there was a discussion about the many signature threads in the “talk about names” forums and one moderator said that there were plans or at least an idea of creating a forum dedicated to these signature games as they tend to be more about name opinions and expressing those than the simpler “create a family” threads in the name games forum.

There have been more of these threads popping up, quite a lot of them similar and not only limited to one forum anymore so I was wondering if that idea is still being considered?

It’s been a while and nobody has addressed this, so I’d like to express my support for this idea. I love the signature games and signature opinions threads, but I think they should have their own forum because there are so many.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] both. I hear you: the [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names and Talk About Names sub-forums in particular are being increasingly affected by this.

I did raise this question with [name_f]Pam[/name_f] and [name_f]Linda[/name_f] back in [name_f]February[/name_f], and they are aware of the need and said that an upgrade to a newer forum platform is very much on the cards in the near future. As you’ll appreciate though, it’s a huge task and will take a little time to implement, considering that NB is very much a labour of love for the site creators and not a big corporation with staff to handle these sorts of things.

In the meantime, we (the mods) do try to move threads into the appropriate section where applicable, but many of the signature threads have been going for a long time and are very popular so we’ve tended to leave those in situ. Perhaps I should reassess that and move some of the more similar ones over to Name Games…

@katinka
That’s great to hear! Maybe in the meantime (and that’s really just an idea) we could structure the forums a bit better, the “sibling name forum”, the “baby names forum” and the “talk about names” forum include many of the same kind of posts and especially the sibling name forum doesn’t seem to get much traffic (many people end up posting the same question in the other forums).
Also, as gender specific questions have their own forums anyway, many users choose to make two posts in the respective forums rather than one in the “baby names” forum, or, again, do both (which clutters up the forums).

Perhaps we could make the “talk about names” forum the designated forum for signature games, it seems the most fitting? Possibly move all signature threads to that forum and put a sticky post in the “baby names” forum to post all signature threads in the other forum.
There could also be another sticky in the “talk about names forum” addressing which “signature games” already exist and which not to post anymore so we don’t get 10 versions of the same game.

Again, just an idea to maybe introduce even more structure in the forums we already have :slight_smile:

@opheliaflora I like these ideas very much, thank you!

When I get a minute I will have a look at everything and see what I can do to organise it a bit better.

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in with any ideas you might have that would help make things tidier! What would work for you?