New Guinea Pig Needs A Name!

After having to wait for nearly a month, I finally got to bring my new sow home yesterday!

She’s a 10-11 month old himalayan abyssinian; also known as one of my dream pigs. Breeder said she’s an absolute sweetie, which seems accurate so far, but I think she’s got a bit of sass too! She’s also tiny, my other sows are 6/7 months, and bigger than her, and they’re small for their age.
And I’m sick of agonising over names for my animals, so I’m seeking out help immediately for once!

Some things to point out:

• She will hopefully be bonded with my other two sows, named [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] & Niska.
  • [name_f]My[/name_f] previous sows herd all had greek mythology names; I wasn’t planning on having a large herd again, so haven’t set a specific theme for my current girls (though if you can establish one based on my other sows, that’d be a bonus).
  • A few years ago, the guinea pig sanctuary I volunteer at rescued a group of pregnant sows, one of which was a himalayan abysinnian, very similar to my new girl. I fell in love with her at first sight, and was planning on adopting her. Unfortunately, she died giving birth, due to complications from over breeding. She was named [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f], it would be nice if i could find a name that had some connection to her.
  • I don’t middle name my pets, so first name suggestion are only needed.

Thank you for any help!

2 Likes

She’s so cute!!

Maybe a name that means snow would be a nice way to connect to Snowdrop?

Eira (Welsh “snow”, also modern form of the Norse goddess Eir)
Gwyneira
Fjolla (Albanian “fine snow”)
Haukea (Hawaiian “white snow”)
Lumi
Yuki
Miyuki
Edurne
Nieves / Neus / Neve
Pyry (Finnish “snowstorm”)
Snezhana
Flykra (Faroese “snowflake”)

Galanthus / Gala

1 Like

She’s so cute!
Seconding the suggestions of [name_f]Eira[/name_f] and Neve! They look like they’d suit her well

Anais, Lumi, [name_u]Lux[/name_u] and [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] also came to mind

1 Like

Thank you both! [name_f]Eira[/name_f] was my immediate thought too, but I’m not so sure it suits her I’m liking [name_f]Neve[/name_f] though!
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f] is unfortunately out, I don’t re-use names and I’ve already had a hamster called Lumi, though would have been a good suggestion otherwise.

@Dechen
[name_f]Snezhana[/name_f] & Flykra are interesting, I’ll have to look into those more. I like [name_f]Miyuki[/name_f] & Pyry too, but don’t think they’re right for her, so I’ll stick them on the list for future critters.

@Greyblue
I’m liking Anaias, though I’m never sure how to pronounce it :stuck_out_tongue: I adore Lux, it’s on my baby names masterlist. I think it suits her, but I’ve unintentionally got into the habit of giving my pigs long names, so it feels a bit short.
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] is the name of one of my brothers pigs, so I just picture her when I hear it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Your comment about sass made me think of Saskia, which is an awesome name and feels like a nice fit with your other names — pretty and feminine, but with some spikier sounds and a bit of fire in the belly! Plus, an S initial to subtly honour Snowdrop.

3 Likes

[name_f]Anais[/name_f] is pronounced ah-nar-ees :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aww, she’s beautiful! :hamster: I really like the previously suggested names [name_f]Eira[/name_f] and Neve, and [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] is adorable as well.

The first thing that came to mind after I read the part about [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] was Snowflake, because you mentioned that she’s tiny and in my mind that makes her unique, like a snowflake. There are, of course, unfortunately some not-so-nice affiliations with the word “snowflake”, but I think it would still be usable for a small pet. Snowball is cute, too. Especially for a beautiful and fluffy little one like her! I would have been tempted to use that for my Abyssinian because he’s really fluffy, but he has this perfectly-shaped and colored “Hershey Kiss” on his face, and I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to name him Hershey. :two_hearts:

1 Like

So pretty! I’m just going to suggest some names that seem to fit the style of [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] and Niska in my mind!

[name_f]Runa[/name_f]
[name_f]Aviva[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Astra[/name_f]
[name_f]Elara[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_u]Indra[/name_u] (Sanskrit “possessing drops of rain”)
[name_f]Moira[/name_f] (Irish, “drop of the sea”)
[name_f]Rianne[/name_f] (Dutch “drop of the sea”)

1 Like

@katinka
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] may actually be perfect. All the points you made, plus I can make a theme with it (unique names ending in a). And using an S name as a connection to [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] is genius- that never occurred to me (I’m so bad at honours).
I need to test it out on her before I decide for definite, but you have have found her name :smiley:

@sharayahlynn
Snowflake was one of my first thoughts as an honour for [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f] too, but for me it is very firmly in ‘pet name’ territory and I generally prefer ‘human names’. Plus, we’ve had more Snow-somethings at the sanctuary than I can remember. Otherwise, would’ve been a lovely suggestion :two_hearts:

@rosejuliet
These are all so pretty! Some of them are also similar to names I’ve thought of (Astra = Astrid, [name_u]Indra[/name_u] = Inka, [name_f]Moira[/name_f] = Meera), great minds think alike!
They’re all going on the list for potential future herd members :slight_smile:

2 Likes