New here--Girl name options

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,
I have never posted here before but I check out the site nearly everyday. I am considering girls names and would love some input. I don’t have middle names set quite yet, but the four firsts I’m considering are

[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Ines[/name_f]

I’d love to get your opinions on favorites and how commonly you see these names used. Thanks for all the help!

3 Likes

I like your style! I’ll put them in order from favorite - least

1. [name_f]Margot[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Ines[/name_f], also like [name_f]Inez[/name_f]!
  3. [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]

I like the combinations [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Ines[/name_f], [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Ines[/name_f] [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f].

Other suggestions include; [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help! I wasn’t sure whether to expect any responses, so I appreciate it:) [name_f]Margot[/name_f] has always been my number one, but it (sort of) rhymes with my last name, so I’m thinking that might be strange. I love your suggestions of [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]. I’ll add them to the list!

I’ll add that I accidentally wrote [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] with an H, but probably would do it without. I also would use the nickname “Tilla” for [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. And am adding the name [name_f]Willa[/name_f] to my list as well:)

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and my second favorite is [name_f]Ines[/name_f]. Actually [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Ines[/name_f] would be a beautiful combo together.

Nice! I love [name_f]Willa[/name_f]! I prefer [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] with this spelling. It has some good nickname potential :smile: do you have any family names you might want to honor?

I think [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is fabulous! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite name - [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] also doesn’t work great with our last name but I’m not sure if it’s a dealbreaker or not :thinking:

I am considering [name_f]Elise[/name_f] as a middle. A more modern (maybe) name of [name_u]Lisa[/name_u] which is my mom’s name. Not set on it though. The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should just choose a name I love, even if it’s a little “rhymey”. As long as it doesn’t sound totally ridiculous, I think it shouldn’t matter. Thanks again for your input!

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the help:)

I love your list! [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are my two favorites. I’ve met 1 [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and haven’t met a [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f].

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are gorgeous! [name_f]Ines[/name_f] has been growing on me too! I’ve never met (or even known of IRL) anyone with these names (would love to meet one!)

Thanks! There is only so much stock I can put into social security popularity lists. I think it’s more important to find out how many kids live around me with a certain name. I have no problem with seeing my kid’s name here or there, but would hate for her to be a Margot/Genevieve, etc in a sea of kids with the same name.

[name_u]Welcome[/name_u] to Nameberry :slight_smile:

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] - warm, stylish and lovely! I’ve met one little [name_f]Margot[/name_f]

[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] - strong and elegant! I do prefer the [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] spelling, but I don’t mind this one either. I’ve never met a [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] but I’ve met several Matildas

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] - sleek, stylish and elegant - I’ve met one [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]

[name_f]Ines[/name_f] - sparky and interesting. Which pronunciation do you use? I’ve met one [name_f]Ines[/name_f] (it was part of a double name though)

from favourite to least favourite:

[name_f]Margot[/name_f]: this was my number one favourite for a loooong time!!! I know it’s got a lot more popular recently but I’ve still never met one personally (and I work at a school! my friend who works at a nursery says she knows some Margot’s though!)

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]: I used to really dislike this one for some reason, but it’s grown on me a lot in the past year or so! I’ve only ever known of one [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and she went to school with me, so I don’t know of any children now!

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]: I much prefer the [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] spelling but [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is still okay! I also really like [name_f]Tilda[/name_f] as a nn. I know 2 children called [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]!

[name_f]Ines[/name_f]: I like it in theory, and don’t know any children now with this name, but I went to school with a girl called [name_m]Innes[/name_m] which is pronounced quite differently and now I always read [name_f]Ines[/name_f] wrong! :joy:

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] top choices!!

You have a lovely short list :bouquet:

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] ~ a very classic name that’s so chic and effortless I also love that you can have the nickname [name_f]Maggie[/name_f].

[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] ~ elegant strong choice very classic with a regal presence

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ~ oh I adore [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] such a beautiful romantic name that feels elegant, classy and timeless. I love the nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f]!

[name_f]Ines[/name_f] ~ she’s a sweet fun choice prefer [name_f]Inez[/name_f] spelling wise.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is definitely [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]! Followed by [name_f]Margot[/name_f] :two_hearts:

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

I adore [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and Matilda/Mathilda, they’re two of my favourite names! [name_f]Ines[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are lovely too.

Popularity-wise, it depends where you are. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is quite popular here (Australia); it’s in the top 10 or 15 but it’s much less commonly used in the US. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is trending here - I hear it occasionally at the playground/amongst friends’/acquaintances’ babies and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s in the top 100 in the next few years. I’d still use it in a heartbeat if I ever had another daughter and my partner didn’t veto it! [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Ines[/name_f] are the least popular of the bunch from my perspective, [name_f]Ines[/name_f] especially.

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] names!

[name_u]Welcome[/name_u] to Nameberry! This is an amazing community

I love your style! It’s very timeless and elegant and I love that.

[name_f]Margot[/name_f]- I love how sophisticated this name is. I hear it enough that it gives me a familiar, warm and fuzzy feeling, but not enough for it to be boring. I’ve met two or three and only have positive associations. I know you said it rhymes with your last name, but I wouldn’t let that stop you. In fact, it might be a fun quirk to have. Ideas:
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Nathalie[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]Camille[/name_u], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u],
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Océane[/name_f] (If you want to really lean into the [name_u]French[/name_u] roots of the name) OR…
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]Day[/name_u], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]

[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f]- To me this is such a bouncy, friendly name! I’ve known one person with this name, a happy, cheerful little girl. Ideas:
[name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_u]Ray[/name_u], [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] [name_u]Blaire[/name_u]

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]: I’ve unfortunately never met a [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], but I’d love to! This name is the perfect blend of regal but not presumptuous, feminine and beautiful, but not frilly.

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_u]Camille[/name_u], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Sofie[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_u]Clare[/name_u]

[name_f]Ines[/name_f]: This name is so spunky and cool! It’s unique in a good way, but not unheard of, making it very accessible. I prefer this spelling to [name_f]Inez[/name_f] but like both.

[name_f]Ines[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Ines[/name_f] [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Ines[/name_f] [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Ines[/name_f] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]

Names that remind me of your style, for first or middle: [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Belle[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Saffron[/name_f], [name_f]Sarai[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f]

i love margot! these names i dont see too often, but they arent names ive never seen. if i ranked them:

1: margot
2: mathtilda (prefer it matilda, but i like mathilda!)
3: genevieve
4: ines

i love lucia, annika or anika, delia, eloise, adelaide, violet, juliet, anastasia, and thea for you!

I love [name_f]Margot[/name_f] & [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]!

I personally know:

1 [name_f]Margo[/name_f]
1 [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (goes by Gigi)
1 [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is my favorite!

[name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_u]Alma[/name_u]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_u]Romilly[/name_u]

from favorite to least favorite…

1. margot
  2. genevieve
  3. mathilda
  4. ines

all are lovely though! some middle name ideas…

margot tatiana
margot sylvia
margot alicia

mathilda elizabeth
mathilda carolina
mathilda esme

genevieve heidi
genevieve marina
genevieve willa

ines helena
ines athena
ines aurora