New here! Help my partner and I agree

Hi all!

New here after being a long time lurker. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner and I are looking to try for a baby in the next month, but we disagree on some names big time.

My top girls names are:
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]- this I get bullied about. However, so many [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]’s in history are strong women. I adore it.
[name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] - another name people enjoy bullying me about :crazy_face:
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] - yet another “you seriously can’t call a child… [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]”

Boys names:
[name_m]Buddy[/name_m] - unfortunately the dog we babysit sometimes is called this so it’s off the table, but still a fave.
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Brighton[/name_u]- this we agree on

Our last name is not very common either. It begins with a P and ends with a Y so anything to “eee” sounding is gone, unfortunately. We both also have two of the most commons names on the planet, so I seek out different names.

I adore floral, vintage and dainty names. Ones that make you think of… meadows, I guess? :joy: a lot of people laugh and say I’ll be giving birth to a nursing home with the names I like.

My partner has stated he likes [name_u]Yanis[/name_u] which, is… :nauseated_face:

Help us, please!

Hi, my favourites are [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] from your list. I also quite like [name_u]Brighton[/name_u].

A few more ideas:

Violet
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

Harrison
[name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Warren[/name_m]

Good luck!

I love all of your girl’s names!! I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] sounds great!!
I like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] from your boys list too!

2 Likes

Loveee [name_u]Marian[/name_u]! Also [name_f]Clara[/name_f], so old fashioned. Thank you, adding to my list now :relaxed:

1 Like

Thank you!

My family and friends just like to pick on me. I’m in Australia where most babies are called [name_u]Cruz[/name_u], [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] or Mahliah, [name_f]Evie[/name_f] etc … so the names I pick are considered out there. [name_f]My[/name_f] names are so old too, my grandparents know someone called each one hahaha

1 Like

It makes sense that others who are used to more popular, modern names would maybe be confused about the name you like but your names are lovely!! don’t let others put you off xxx

1 Like

Tried to get a combo of [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] & Vintage!
Girls
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Edna[/name_f]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]

Boys
[name_m]Ace[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_m]Alastair[/name_m]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u]
[name_m]Leyton[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

1 Like

Dont give up. Hubbs & I pretty much disagreed on every name either of us mentioned. We eventually agreed on our 2 children’s names. You have plenty of time. Try not to get too frustrated.

2 Likes

My favorites of you names are [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_u]Brighton[/name_u]. I also love [name_u]Yanis[/name_u].

Perhaps [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Yanis[/name_u] or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_u]Brighton[/name_u] [name_u]Yanis[/name_u] would be great.

I know a [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] so I don’t find it strange. I adore the idea of [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] or [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] & [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] (or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Brighton[/name_u], then they’re both sort of place names!) A little more matchy, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] could work though I don’t think the former has the greatest flow.

1 Like

Your combos are incredible!! Thank you!

And yay, another [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] lover! It’s just SO gorgeous, I love that most people hate it haha

1 Like

I should add! We both love the name Rua for a girl. We heard it somewhere but we can never find what it means!

Welcome!

In Māori Rua means two or lake and is usually used for a boy :slight_smile:

Some other names you might like (not a very themed list, just going off the names you’ve mentioned!)

Kaia
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Theodosia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]

Emrys
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Leonidas[/name_m]
[name_m]Thelonious[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Ellery[/name_u]
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]

1 Like

Ahhh I love [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

For some reason, I always think of [name_u]Brighton[/name_u] on a girl. [name_u]Brighton[/name_u] [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], maybe? [name_m]Just[/name_m] a thought.

1 Like

Hi there.

My grandmother lived in a nursing home the last few years of her life (passed away earlier this year.). They would cut out cute shapes (hearts for Valentines [name_u]Day[/name_u], stars for [name_u]July[/name_u] 4th etc.) & write each residents’ name on a shape & put it on the wall. Anyway, looking at the names, it’s basically the same wall of names on cute shapes that you’d see at a pre-school in 2020! Old lady names are coming back, so I wouldn’t worry about giving birth to a nursing home jokes. :joy:

Anyway, onto your lists!

Girls-

Ophelia-This is okay . I’m in the minority. Most people seem to love it. It’s just too dramatic & dark sounding for me. And it’s rising fairly rapidly up the SSA charts. Still in the 300s, & may stay there. [name_m]Just[/name_m] making a rapid increase 600 spots in three years.

Ethel-This isn’t a name that I generally think about, but it’s fun! Certainly different yet well known. Totally an old lady name, but absolutely ready for a comeback. It is strong yet gentle at the same time.

Wednesday-This one is a little out there for me. It’s such a common word used in every day life, that it may be weird. Plus, [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] Addams is kind of an odd association? Maybe that’s why people like it though!

Meadow-I want to like this one. I love out there floral-y names, but it just doesn’t sound name-ish enough for whatever reason.

Boys-

Buddy-This also doesn’t sound very name-ish. Sounds like it’s off the table anyway though.

Ellis-Ooh, this is handsome.

Theodore-I really like it. It’s charming & old fashioned w/great nns. I’ve got to say that it’s getting really popular though. I feel like I hear this on little tykes a ton.

Brighton-It’s not my personal cup of tea, but it’s not bad.

Yanis-I agree that’s pretty bleh.

Sorry for any repeats, but how about…

Girls-

Azalea

Bernadette

Beatrice

Beatrix

Clover

Dahlia

Dorothea

Edith

Eloise

Flora

Gloria

Indigo

Louisa

Lucille

Mabel

Maple

Magnolia

Olive

Pearl

Rosalind

Sylvia

Tallula

Boys-

Archer

Basil

Crispin

Desmond

Elliott

Edwin

George

Julian

Lewis

Linus

Martin

Oscar

Otis

Schuyler

Sawyer

Thatcher

Winston

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much!!

Absolutely adore the girls names, especially [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] (my fave flower), [name_f]Maple[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. All are gorgeous.

Edwin is a good one!! Also, I loveee [name_u]George[/name_u] too.

What do we all think of [name_f]Rafaela[/name_f]? I adore it, can’t believe I forgot to add it!

A friend of mine is named [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and she really hates it. She goes by [name_f]Jen[/name_f].

That stinks! That’s always a risk with kids names, that they’ll just hate it! But honestly that can go with overly popular names or weird, it’s always a chance! I know a [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] that hates her name and goes by [name_f]Mimi[/name_f]! And I know an [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] that goes by [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]!

1 Like