New here, with 4th baby ***Updated in the middle of pg. 2***

We’re having our fourth and, even though I can be a bit of a name nerd, I’m kind of burned out when it comes to names for my own child. I know what dh thinks of most, if not all, of the names I like and I know what we agree on.

The boy name was settled almost as soon as we got over the shock of being pregnant again. [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] nn [name]Ward[/name]. It has major family significance (other than the nn) and we both decided it would be a good idea since this will be the last one. I’m considering using a second middle name to give him a name he doesn’t share with someone else, but I’m still not sure. If we did go with two middle names it would be one of these:

[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Cedric[/name]
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Sterling[/name]
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alden[/name]

For girls, we only have three names that we really agree on and that I would be willing to use.

[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] - this one is a double first name, we both like it better than just [name]Ivy[/name]

The middle name would be [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] or possibly [name]Augusta[/name] with [name]Hazel[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name].

It’s interesting that when I ask people about my names, the younger they are the more likely they are to favor [name]Hazel[/name]. My fifteen year old son’s best friend actually told me that it was an awesome name. This is really starting to sway me more toward [name]Hazel[/name].

Any thoughts on these names?

i [name]LOVE[/name] the name hazel. we won’t know the gender of our expected little one until next wednesday, but either way, hazel is out for me - dp hates it :frowning: i think you should go for it!

First, I think [name]Ward[/name] is a fantastic nickname!

[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Cedric[/name]- I don’t like [name]Cedric[/name] that much
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Sterling[/name]- He sounds rich and sophisticated, I like it! He’ll be in the yatch club.
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alden[/name]- Sounds very literary to me, he might be an author when he grows up.

For girls, we only have three names that we really agree on and that I would be willing to use.

[name]Augusta[/name]- I think this is too matronly for a first name
[name]Hazel[/name]- I love [name]Hazel[/name]! (I’m 23)
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] - I don’t think I like this, I love [name]Ivy[/name], but I don’t like [name]Beth[/name] much, maybe that’s why I don’t like it.

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]- this modernizes [name]Hazel[/name] a bit
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]- hmm, something not right about this… maybe it’s the double [name]El[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]- too old lady, I think

[name]Augusta[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]- doesn’t work
[name]Augusta[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]- this works, but I don’t really like it

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]- I think this is really cute
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]- sounds a little boring
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]- I like [name]Augusta[/name] in this combo

My favorite combo is [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name], but my favorite name is [name]Hazel[/name]… Well, it would be [name]Ivy[/name] without [name]Beth[/name]. What do you think of [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Kate[/name]?

It’s interesting that when I ask people about my names, the younger they are the more likely they are to favor [name]Hazel[/name]. My fifteen year old son’s best friend actually told me that it was an awesome name. This is really starting to sway me more toward [name]Hazel[/name].

Any thoughts on these names?[/quote]

You have some seriously swoonworthy names here. [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] is quite gorgeous, and if it was up to me, then I wouldn’t use another middle name - but as you want another name of his own, then I can understand. Another option may be to use an alternative form of [name]Leo[/name] such as [name]Leopold[/name], [name]Leonard[/name], [name]Lionel[/name], [name]Leonidas[/name] or [name]Leon[/name] (this assumes that you are not already using [name]Leo[/name] to honour someone with a longer [name]Leo[/name] name!).

I’m not overly thrilled with any of your chosen third middle names - [name]Cedric[/name] always seems so unbearably stuffy and for me changes the more genial tone of [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] to something more dull and weak. [name]Cyril[/name] or [name]Cecil[/name] are stronger alternatives.

[name]Sterling[/name] is very much a vocabulary word to me - as in sterling silver, or pound sterling, or something simply being ‘sterling’ and good quality. It has also been used frequently as a brand name. [name]Stephen[/name] or [name]Alastair[/name] are alternatives.

[name]Alden[/name] is alright, though more of a surname to me. The initials may also form a pronounceable word with your surname (eg [name]ELAM[/name] or ELAD or ELAK). It is also a little difficult to say the A of [name]Alden[/name] after the O of [name]Leo[/name]. Could turn into Lealden.

You have some gorgeous girl names. I like [name]Augusta[/name], but it’s very rich and rather heavy in sound (that sumptuous ‘gus’ sound) and so I think it works better as a middle name. I think the [name]Augusta[/name]/[name]Augustus[/name] nicknames - [name]Gus[/name], [name]Gussie[/name], [name]Gustie[/name] - work much better on males - on girls, they sound a little pretentious. My choice of a combination would be [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] - [name]Ivy[/name] is much lighter and playful in sound so matches the heavier [name]Augusta[/name] nicely. [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] could also work well - I wouldn’t put [name]Hazel[/name] with [name]Alexandra[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name] due to the repetition of the ‘el’ sound (becoming Hazelexandra/Hazeleanor).

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] is alright, though I prefer [name]Ivy[/name] on its own. [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] does however work with [name]Alexandra[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name] if you choose to use them as middle names.

[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Cedric[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name], but I’m not personally a [name]Cedric[/name] fan.

[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Sterling[/name]: I think this is fantanstic!

[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alden[/name]: I really like this one, too.

[name]Augusta[/name]: I actually do like [name]Augusta[/name], but prefer the other names on your list.

[name]Hazel[/name]: I love [name]Hazel[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name]: I love [name]Ivy[/name], too, but not [name]Beth[/name]. [name]Beth[/name] is really dated now.

What about:
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Bess[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (popular, though)
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

If you use it alone, I think [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] is lovely. :slight_smile: (I like [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name], too.) I think [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] works, too. ([name]Alexandra[/name] feels too modern to me with [name]Hazel[/name].)

I personally wouldn’t combine [name]Hazel[/name] with [name]Ivy[/name], because then you’ve got a green theme going on.

From your list, I’m voting for either [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Augusta[/name], [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name], or [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name].

I love your names! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Oh, I just love nn [name]Ward[/name]! Congrats on number 4!

[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Cedric[/name] - [name]Cedric[/name] is too [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] to me…followed by [name]Cedric[/name] the Entertainer…
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Sterling[/name] - he sounds handsome! I like this!
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alden[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] this one! There’s something romantic-sounding with [name]Alden[/name] in there…Or [name]Prince[/name]-ish…I’m not sure, but I know I like it :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[name]Augusta[/name] - makes me think of Golf (Master’s tournament) Not really a fan :confused:
[name]Hazel[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]! I just convinced my hubby to add this to our list :slight_smile: (I’m 24…)
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] - this one is a double first name, we both like it better than just [name]Ivy[/name] - I really like [name]Ivy[/name] all on its own. [name]Beth[/name] seems to hamper the name a bit…like drag it down from its gorgeous-ness

The middle name would be [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] or possibly [name]Augusta[/name] with [name]Hazel[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] is my favorite :slight_smile:

what are your other children’s names, if you don’t mind sharing?

i like “ivy augusta” best but also like hazel (not sure about middle name with it though). just don’t hear as many ivy’s and i think hazel is coming back into popularity, at least somewhat.

good luck!

My other kids are [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Quinlan[/name] (often called [name]Quinn[/name]) and [name]Clarissa[/name]. I don’t know that any of our names really “go together”, but to us they seem like they do since we’ve been calling them all in the same breath for some time now. I hate to have to point out that [name]Quinlan[/name] is a boy, but the name [name]Quinn[/name] has been being used for girls lately. I didn’t realize that when we named him and I was shocked to learn it when he was a year old.

Thank you for all your comments. It’s nice to heard perspectives of other people. Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Always such a pleasure to read about someone with such sophisticated taste in names. [name]Edward[/name]/[name]Ward[/name] is obviously a winner. [name]Love[/name] [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Quinlan[/name]/[name]Quinn[/name] and [name]Clarissa[/name] and think any of your choices fits in perfectly. Interesting that the names of your three old children all share a hard C sound – quite clicky – yet none of your new choices do.

I am going to go against the tide here and say I like [name]Augusta[/name] the best of your girls’ names. To me it’s the most distinctive, though perhaps its similarity to the more stylish boys’ versions such as [name]August[/name] and [name]Gus[/name] takes the edge off a bit. I love [name]Ivy[/name] but like everyone else am not a fan of [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name], which to me is kind of like wearing a pair of elegant Prada pumps with ankle socks. And [name]Hazel[/name] has a new freshness thanks to [name]Julia[/name] [name]Roberts[/name]’ choosing it for her daughter, which I think is a major strike against it.

[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Cedric[/name] - I like [name]Cedric[/name], but probably most people don’t like it.
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Sterling[/name]
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alden[/name] - love this so much.

[name]Augusta[/name] - love!
[name]Hazel[/name] - like it
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] - this one is a double first name, we both like it better than just [name]Ivy[/name] - love [name]Ivy[/name], but not [name]Beth[/name].

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - [name]Ruth[/name] is similar to [name]Beth[/name] and much more fashionable.

[name]Don[/name]'t like the end of [name]Augusta[/name] with the beginning of [name]Alexandra[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t like the end of [name]Hazel[/name] with the beginning of [name]Eleanor[/name].

[name]Augusta[/name] [name]Ivory[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Leonora[/name] (for me [name]Leonora[/name] works better here than [name]Eleanor[/name].) Later: I take that back, now I’m liking [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] - lovely! But [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Leonora[/name] is very dramatic.
[name]Ivory[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]

[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alden[/name] – of the boy options I prefer the flow of this and [name]Alden[/name] over the other two for similar reasons as others have already mentioned.

[name]Augusta[/name] – this reminds me of [name]Augusta[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], not terrible just not great either. I like it better in the middle spot.
[name]Hazel[/name] – [name]LOVE[/name] this! It comes and goes from my own list (I’m 33). My favorite of your first name ideas.
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] - this one is a double first name. – I actually find this very sweet and old fashioned, particularly next to [name]Clarissa[/name].

I pick [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name].

Boys:
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Cedric[/name]: just doesn’t work in my mind…
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Sterling[/name]: love, but others may not…
[name]Ward[/name] [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alden[/name]: favorite!

For Girls:
[name]Augusta[/name]: don’t love it…
[name]Hazel[/name]: I like this one a lot, especially with [name]Augusta[/name] as a mn.
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name]: nice, but I don’t think it works with your middle name choices.

I really like [name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Sterling[/name]. Very [name]Harvard[/name], if that makes any sense.

I don’t love it, but [name]Hazel[/name] is my favorite for a girl. (Fifteen also!)

I think that going by your naming style the best girls name on your list is [name]Augusta[/name]. It is dignified as is [name]Clarissa[/name].

[name]Augusta[/name] [name]Jane[/name], is my combo.

More names that would suit
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]

[name]Edward[/name] [name]Leo[/name] is handsome. Unless there is a special reason to have a third name I would leave it that.

Thanks for all your replies. We’ve had some upheavals in our naming decisions (so much for my thought that I knew what dh thought of all our names).

Dh decided that he doesn’t like [name]Ward[/name] enough to use it as the child’s call name and I don’t like any of the other options well enough to use them as his call name. So now the family names become middle names (we will use two, because we need to honor both of them). So here are our boy names presently:

[name]Cyrus[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - This is the front runner. The [name]Miley[/name] thing doesn’t concern us (dh isn’t even quite sure who she is), and our 4 year old loves the name [name]Cyrus[/name]. He’s convinced the baby is a boy and calls him [name]Cyrus[/name] all the time.

[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - [name]Cedric[/name] is a name that’s been on the list forever, but it’s never quite become a front runner. It’s also my mom’s favorite.

[name]Sterling[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - We took two boy names with us when [name]Quinlan[/name] was born and [name]Sterling[/name] was the other one. Dh has brought it up and I still like it. Though I’m not sure that I like it as much as [name]Cyrus[/name].

[name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - Dh came up with this one on his own (the first time in 5 years he’s done that). I like it, but it seems kind of popular. But it’s cute. I don’t know.

Our girl names have undergone changes as well. Dh decided that he just didn’t want [name]Augusta[/name] on the list (which annoyed me greatly, but it’s his kid too). [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] is really at the bottom of the list, so it’s unlikely that we’ll use it. And the middle name is set (I think). [name]Alexandra[/name] is a form of my mom’s name ([name]Sandra[/name]) and a name that I’ve always loved. So now we have:

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] - This would be my choice. I really like the sound and feel of it.

[name]Bridget[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] - This would be dh’s choice. He’s liked it for years and he worries that [name]Hazel[/name] doesn’t sound like a baby. They publish all the first names of babies born in the last year at a local hospital on Mother’s [name]Day[/name]. I saved that one back and showed him that there were 3 Hazels born in our area last year, but he still has reservations. And he really likes [name]Bridget[/name].

So any comments on the updated version of our list would be welcome.

Of your boy names, I like [name]Sterling[/name] [name]Leo[/name]. There’s something very handsome about it.

I actually really like [name]Bridget[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] if you have a little girl. Something about [name]Bridget[/name] has always really appealed to me.

[name]Sterling[/name] and [name]Cyrus[/name] are definately my favs from your list! I really love [name]Cyrus[/name]! It reminds me of [name]Cecil[/name] another name I enjoy. I like [name]Hazel[/name] better then [name]Bridget[/name]… but to be honest do not love them in comparison to the boys names. Good [name]Luck[/name]! I know how hard this can be… esp the husband part… haha :slight_smile:

Are you up for suggestions on a girls name or are you set on [name]Bridget[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name]? I do like [name]Hazel[/name] and I think [name]Bridget[/name] is nice but for some reason it reminds me of [name]Brittany[/name]. [name]Both[/name] very pretty names though!

[name]Cyrus[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - This is the front runner. The [name]Miley[/name] thing doesn’t concern us (dh isn’t even quite sure who she is), and our 4 year old loves the name [name]Cyrus[/name]. He’s convinced the baby is a boy and calls him [name]Cyrus[/name] all the time. - I love it!

[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - [name]Cedric[/name] is a name that’s been on the list forever, but it’s never quite become a front runner. It’s also my mom’s favorite. - [name]Love[/name] this, too!

[name]Sterling[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - We took two boy names with us when [name]Quinlan[/name] was born and [name]Sterling[/name] was the other one. Dh has brought it up and I still like it. Though I’m not sure that I like it as much as [name]Cyrus[/name]. - I know a [name]Sterling[/name] that I don’t like, so I am biased.

[name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - Dh came up with this one on his own (the first time in 5 years he’s done that). I like it, but it seems kind of popular. But it’s cute. I don’t know. - [name]Love[/name] it!

My fave is [name]Gabriel[/name] with [name]Cyrus[/name] very close behind. [name]Love[/name] middles [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Edward[/name] so much!

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] - This would be my choice. I really like the sound and feel of it. - it’s so cute!

[name]Bridget[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] - This would be dh’s choice. He’s liked it for years and he worries that [name]Hazel[/name] doesn’t sound like a baby. They publish all the first names of babies born in the last year at a local hospital on Mother’s [name]Day[/name]. I saved that one back and showed him that there were 3 Hazels born in our area last year, but he still has reservations. And he really likes [name]Bridget[/name]. - love [name]Bridget[/name], too!

[name]Zandra[/name] and [name]Xandra[/name] are forms of [name]Sandra[/name]. NNs [name]Zandie[/name] and [name]Xandie[/name] are cute!

[name]Cyrus[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - Frankly I feel that the name [name]Cyrus[/name] will come and go and that if you want to use it, it would be better toward the middle of the combo.

[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - Sorry [name]Cedric[/name] isn’t my style.

[name]Sterling[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] - I think that this one matches [name]Quinlan[/name] much better in a sibset than [name]Cyrus[/name].

[name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Leo[/name] [name]Edward[/name] WOW I am impressed this has it all, great names and great flow and great as a sibset!

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] - It is nice but I love your other choice.

[name]Bridget[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name] name. (I might be inclined to spell it as [name]Brigitte[/name].)

Have you thought of using [name]Alessandra[/name] in honour of your mother instead of [name]Alexandra[/name]? They are both beautiful but [name]Alessandra[/name] is closer to her name.

[name]Cedric[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] are awesome choices!