New married name is a fruit. Bye bye, color+flower names!

Plumb- new last name. Its cute, British, sort of quirky, however- its really thrown a wrench in my baby name list! I love vintage color and flower names but now they’re all ruled out ([name]Olive[/name] Plumb, anyone? [name]Violet[/name] Plumb? Yeah, that sounds accurate!) has anyone else ever run into this dilemma?

I don’t know. I can see them working, actually. I’ve never met anyone with a fruit for a last name, I don’t think, but I don’t think it’s as limiting as you think it is. Try it out on a stranger sometime. Tell the person you’re name is [name]Violet[/name] Plumb or something of that sort and see what the reaction is.

Plumb is lovely! I know exactly how you feel, though. My new married name is [name]Cherry[/name], which has the added problem of some pretty serious teasing potential if you know what I mean. I have always loved nature names, place names and word names, but I’ve had to toss most of them off my list. [name]India[/name] [name]Cherry[/name]? Sounds like an exotic dancer’s stage name. [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Cherry[/name]? Um…NO! Ha! I’ve found that having a fruit name as a surname requires a more solid first name to help ground it.

I wouldn’t rule it out completely. It could be very cute/unique in a way most people don’t get to be. Like a character in a novel. [name]How[/name] about [name]Victoria[/name] Plumb, I hear that’s a kind of plum, right? :slight_smile:

Totally. I do find the last name charming, but you’re right about finding a really grounded first name! Growing up a knew a girl named [name]Ruby[/name] Bean, and while it was adorable, once we hit 7th grade she got a lot of uh…vagina jokes, for a lack of a better description. Kids can get REALLY creative at that age, so I’d like to avoid it at all cost! My husband is rooting for [name]Eloise[/name] (nn. [name]Lulu[/name] or [name]Louie[/name]), and im leaning towards [name]Beatrix[/name] ([name]Trixie[/name]) but it was really hard shaving all place/flower/color names off the list. :roll:

I love both [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Beatrix[/name] - you’ve got a great start even if you have had to discard your favorite vintage word names!

Thanks! I also love the name [name]Gwen[/name]- I’d say we have some good taste! :slight_smile:

I’ve never been in your dilemma, but I wanted to say that I think your married name is absolutely charming!

Good luck with everything! :smiley:

I know a little girl named [name]Lily[/name] Plumb, so I don’t think it’s impossible! Actually, Plumb as a last name gives me the same sort of vintage vibe as a lot of color/flower names.