New member! WDYT of these names?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! First post, long-time lurker.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite girl names are:

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] (nn “[name_f]Elle[/name_f]” or “Lola” or “[name_f]Lora[/name_f]”)
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (nn “[name_f]Vivi[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Ginny[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Gigi[/name_f]”)
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] (nn “[name_f]Vi[/name_f]”)

The problem with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is someone in my family has already “claimed” it. It’s so classic, vibrant, and lovely, I fear my two other names won’t compare since they are less established. [name_f]Do[/name_f] [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] seem to be trying twice as hard to capture the simple charm of [name_f]Violet[/name_f]? Or are they equals? [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] just crash over me with magic, but I also realize that their uniqueness invites greater disdain than safer name choices.

Boy names;
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]

Again, this family member has also decided [name_m]Peter[/name_m] is there’s as well, so that’s no longer an option. At any rate, I plan to honor my late grandmother with the name Christopher Blake for my son in remembrance of her brother who died young fighting in WW2 — his name was [name_u]George Blake, but he went by Blake[/name_u]. I love the full name [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], but plan to call my son by his middle name [name_u]Blake[/name_u] to avoid [name_u]Chris[/name_u] and carry on the tradition. Is [name_u]Blake[/name_u] too unisex now? Is it weird I am placing [name_u]Blake[/name_u] in the middle and having him go by that instead of [name_u]Chris[/name_u]? I love [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and I just think it sounds SO much more dashing as [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u]. Also, I quite like [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] and would love to read your opinions.

[name_f]My[/name_f] style boils down to romantic, literary names that are striking without being too odd.

1 Like

Lorelei [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] are much better than [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]. They’re more striking, elegant, and age well. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of people call the kid by the middle name or first and middle together. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is handsome. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] are my favorite.

1 Like

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f].

I can’t say I have much experience in the world of “claimed” names before a baby is born. I will say that my brother named his son one of the few names I loved on my list (which had been there for at least a decade). I wouldn’t use it now because I can’t see close cousins with the same name nor could I imagine using one of my nieces or nephews names and not the others. I don’t think it’s right to choose to “claim” a baby name to prevent others in the family from using it… no one owns specific names.

I don’t think [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] or [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are “competing” with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] in the least. They are all great names and I could see them as sisters when I first read your short list of girls’ names before getting to your questions.

As for [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] vs [name_u]Blake[/name_u] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], I think [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] sounds so much better. Going by [name_u]Blake[/name_u] would be perfectly fine, but it is normal to me. [name_f]My[/name_f] granny went by her middle name (Jëᴀnnë) her entire life as she preferred it over Lᴀürᴀ. When filling out paperwork/forms or for any mail, she always wrote in L. Jëᴀnnë. It wasn’t a big deal.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is an amazing name and I hope you get to use it one day, as with all of your names.

1 Like

All of these are lovely! Im not personally a [name_f]Violet[/name_f] fan, but [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is very pretty (although it does bring to mind the delightful frenemies in Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] :grin:)! I don’t find [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] any less established than [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is a fairly common name, definitely not unusual. And [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] has been gaining quite a bit of popularity in the past 16 years. I think [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] capture the charm [name_f]Violet[/name_f] has, although [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] feels more elegant to me than [name_f]Violet[/name_f] does. I also agree that they’ll age better than [name_f]Violet[/name_f] will.

Christopher [name_u]Blake[/name_u] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] are both nice names as well! Not personally crazy about [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] and it does strike me as a little dated (even though it’s well used currently), but it does sound nice when the full name is said. I don’t think it’d be weird to call him [name_u]Blake[/name_u] even though it’s be in the middle spot. [name_u]Blake[/name_u] is pretty unisex now, although that doesn’t bother me personally. Plus, it was used for boys for a long time before it became trendy for girls, so most people will likely think ‘boy’ first.

1 Like

Genevieve [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is so beautiful. I might like it even more than [name_f]Violet[/name_f], although I do love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] as well!
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is also very handsome. [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is a guilty pleasure, haha- [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] the Pooh all the way- but still very usable!

1 Like

Thank you! It’s so good to feel validated. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] pairs well with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]?

1 Like

I do- I’m not a huge fan of [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] on it’s own (it’s very pretty, just not my style) but I think it works really nicely with [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]!

1 Like

I love your boy names! They are both so handsome and classic. I don’t think it’s weird to call him by his mn especially if you really love both names and their flow!
I agree with others that you truly can’t call a name but if you want to avoid family drama here are some other names that sound similar to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or have a similar vibe.
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]/Vivian
I love [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] & [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]!!!

2 Likes

Ooh, great suggestions! I am a big fan of [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, and I’ve noticed a few characters from the book on your list (plus, I’ve gathered that name lovers tend to be AOGG fans as well!) [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is such a darling name and makes me think of AOGG! Also, [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]/Vivienne, and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] are all wonderfully dramatic names that I will keep in my pocket :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of AOGG and didn’t even realize it lol! I’m subconsciously putting those names in there! I’m glad you liked some of them!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! I also love [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u]! Adorbs!

1 Like

Violet [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] (although I immediately think of the writer) are gorgeous and actually, they’d make wonderful sibling names.

Whilst not my style, both [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] are lovely names and go well with [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]; I don’t think they’re conspicuously lacking charm or anything next to [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

I also adore the name [name_u]June[/name_u] and think this would be beautiful as a sibling for [name_f]Violet[/name_f] if you ever wanted to upgrade it from the middle name spot!

1 Like

Hi there.

Here are my thoughts-

Girls-

Lorelei [name_u]June[/name_u]-I go back & fourth on loving [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]. Some days I find it pretentious sounding, & some days it’s lovable. Not sure how I feel today in general, but paired w/June it sounds so much more down to earth. I like it! I especially like the nn [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. Very cute & spunky.

Genevieve [name_f]Grace[/name_f]-I find [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] a little fussy, but it’s a good solid feminine not too common yet not too out there classic name. The nns [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] & [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] are adorable. I like [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] okay too. [name_m]Just[/name_m] prefer the others.

Violet [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]-That is beautiful. Too bad someone else claimed it. Are you saying [name_f]Vi[/name_f] as ‘Vye’ or ‘Vee’? If it’s ‘Vee’, then maybe you’d like [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] nn [name_f]Vi[/name_f]/Vee?

Boys-

Christopher [name_u]Blake[/name_u]-This isn’t my super favorite personally, but hearing your story as to why you love it makes it super special. And I agree that [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] sounds better than [name_u]Blake[/name_u] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]. It’s a little odd to call him [name_u]Blake[/name_u] if it’s a mn, but I think it’s fine. The little girl whom I nanny for goes by her mn. She’s six now, & it really hasn’t been that much of an issue at school or anything like I’d assumed it’d be. [name_u]Blake[/name_u] is some times used for girls these days, but hopefully that’s just a phase…[name_u]Blake[/name_u] is totally masculine in my opinion.

Henry [name_u]James[/name_u]-[name_u]Love[/name_u] this. A charming classic. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is very popular, but for a good reason. I love the nn [name_m]Hank[/name_m].

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One name that really reminds me of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]! [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] as well, but not as much.

1 Like

Juliet is a great name as well! Romantic and Shakespearean. Thank you!!

Blake is actually my brother’s name. Coincidentally, he was named after my grandfather (who also fought in WW2!) and who went by [name_u]Blake[/name_u], even though it was actually his middle name! I don’t think it’s too unisex. It’s still more popular for boys than girls and was a boy’s name first. I have never actually met a female [name_u]Blake[/name_u]. I don’t think my brother has, either. So I think [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] could definitely work. [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is really nice, too!
As for the girl names, I think [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] are both great. I don’t think either of them are “trying too hard” or anything.

1 Like

What are the chances? It’s so nice to hear from someone who shares such a similar story! Yes, I love the name [name_u]Blake[/name_u] and I think it’s still extremely dashing and handsome. I’ve never met a female [name_u]Blake[/name_u] either, and it truly combines all my favorite qualities in a name :sparkling_heart:

1 Like