New name love

Recently I came across the name [name_m]Ran[/name_m], a Hebrew boys name meaning “to sing” or “to chant” (it’s pronounced rather like “[name_m]Ron[/name_m]”, but maybe a bit softer, like the a in “war” maybe). I immediately fell in love with it. I’d love to hear your opinions… Usable or not? Good or bad? What would you pair with it?

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that I don’t live in an English speaking country, so people wouldn’t think of the past tense for run or pronounce it that way.

[name_m]Ran[/name_m] like run?

Not a fan, but meaning is wonderful.

I don’t mind it, but I would definitely pronounce it as in the word ran, rhyming with fan and can and pan. If you said it was pronounced like [name_m]Ron[/name_m] I would be able to correct to that, but because ran is such a common word in the English language I would probably have to think twice every time.

I think everyone would pronounce it as the past-tense word for running.

I would spell it Raun / Raune / Rawne maybe. It’s a nice name :slight_smile:

I much prefer [name_u]Ren[/name_u] which often is used as the male version of [name_u]Wren[/name_u], and is sometimes a nickname for [name_u]LawRENce[/name_u]. [name_m]Ran[/name_m] would likely work well if you have a Hebrew ethnicity connection.

I suppose I should’ve mentioned that I don’t live in an English speaking country, so people wouldn’t think of the past tense for run or pronounce it that way.

I really dislike it.

If you think people in your country would pronounce it nicely, go for it!