New Name on the Table: ODIN

Full name would be either:

[name]Odin[/name] [name]Charles[/name] Kutcher
or
[name]Odin[/name] [name]William[/name] Kutcher

What do you think of the name [name]Odin[/name]? I like it, and hubby is on the fence, but didn’t say no. Can you think of any teasing potential, or nicknames that may come up? What do you think of it in general?

The only teasing potential I can think of is ‘[name]Odie[/name]’, the dog from [name]Garfield[/name]… but I’m not convinced this is too likely.

I like [name]Odin[/name]. I also like [name]Olin[/name] (pn OWE-lin). [name]Both[/name] of them remind me of [name]Owen[/name].

I want to like [name]Odin[/name], I do. I love [name]Owen[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], etc…I just can’t get ‘Odor’ out of my head when I hear it. Sorry.

This was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title! I’m neutral on it.

I thought Odor. Sorry, but you asked. :confused:

I don’t love it but I don’t hate it either. But I do love the nn [name]Odie[/name].

About the teasing potential, I, too, think of odor and [name]Odie[/name] from [name]Garfield[/name]. (I know the name is rich in history, but I can easily see odor teasing with [name]Odin[/name]…)

Take care!

I really like this name. I’m sure I’m heavily persuaded by it’s meaning and history though. Sometimes I wonder if I love a name just for it’s meaning. I don’t see odor when I see this name of course as much I love [name]Annalie[/name], I can’t get past…anal :confused:

Am I the only one who envisions a Norse god with a big beard and viking helmet and everything? To me it’d be like naming your child [name]Zeus[/name] or [name]Jupiter[/name] or [name]Ra[/name]. [name]Just[/name] too weird.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Odion[/name] (oh-dee-ON)? That’s about the closest I can think of.

I actually quite like the name [name]Odin[/name]! My husband loves it but it’s off the table due to being so similar in sound to our son’s name, [name]Rowan[/name].

We have a little bit quirkier taste than most people, and we love mythology, so we’re also fans of names like [name]Thor[/name]. :slight_smile:
[name]Just[/name] know that a name as strong as [name]Odin[/name] will probably cause a hate/love reaction from most of your friends.

When it comes to the sound of the name, I think [name]Odin[/name] is actually very appealing. The first thing I hear in it is “ode,” a lyrical verse.

Another name that might appeal to you is [name]Orin[/name]/[name]Oren[/name] (Hebrew for “pine tree”). That is one of my all-time favorites, but again off limits for us!

Some other O- names:
[name]Oberon[/name]
Odyssius
[name]Ogden[/name]
[name]Olaf[/name]
[name]Olan[/name]
[name]Olav[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Oz[/name]

Good luck to you!

I love [name]Odin[/name]. It’s my son’s name. He’s 7. It is different, but not boring! And I do love the sound of it.

I really like it!

I really like the name [name]Odin[/name]. My favorite is [name]Odin[/name] [name]Charles[/name].

The only thing I can think of teasing-wise is like O-damn! but that wouldn’t be mean, more friends being friends, you know what I mean? It’s nms, personally, but I can see how it’s cute.My favourite mn is [name]Charles[/name]. Best of luck!

[name]Haven[/name]'t read through all the replies, but wanted to say that my DH LOVED this name for our first. To me it sounds too rhyme-y with our surname so I didn’t even consider it. I think it has the potential to be a nice name once you get past the Viking thing. :wink: But it seems people are willing to consider [name]Thor[/name], [name]Persephone[/name] and [name]Ariadne[/name], so this isn’t that out there imo…

The other similar name on our list was [name]Olin[/name]. Good luck!

I prefer it in the middle name spot with your combos

Something to be aware of is that white supremacist are fans of the name because of the Norse god. I dont really know the story behind it but when I worked in social services there was a couple who had an [name]Odin[/name] and [name]Aryana[/name] so it sort of taints the name for me. I didnt know anything about this before I had to deal with the family so I dont think very many people would make the connection.

Have to agree with thetxbelle - the association with white supremacists puts me firmly against the name [name]Odin[/name].

I love [name]Odin[/name], not too weird, but familiar.
I knew a guy in Norway named [name]Audun[/name] who say that it was the modern version of [name]Odin[/name]. But it’s a bit similar to the ubiquitous [name]Aidan[/name].