New! Need some boy name help.. picky husband!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Everyone,
We are expecting #2 and are really struggling with names this time around! Husband is a Third, and while we understand his family’s obsession with the name tradition, we are seriously considering breaking away from it. The name is not something I’m crazy about and my husband is OK with choosing something else. HOWEVER… [name_f]EVERY[/name_f]. SINGLE. NAME I have come up with so far has been turned down. He either thinks it’s stupid or he knows someone with a kid with that name, or he went to HS with someone with that name… the guy knows a lot of people, so I’m getting really frustrated with this because he’s not giving an inch!

I’ve suggested more popular names, more original names, and still nothing. On my list (and most definitely not on his) are [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], [name_m]Caden[/name_m], [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_m]Declan[/name_m], [name_m]Griffin[/name_m], [name_m]Connor[/name_m], [name_u]Luca[/name_u], [name_m]Zayden[/name_m]… I could keep going but I dont remember them all. Honestly, it’s been every name.

His name is [name_m]Louis[/name_m] so it’s a bit “old school” so I’m not sure if he wants something with that same “old” feel, or something more modern? I would prefer something more modern, as you can tell by the names I’ve offered, but I really can’t bring myself to do the Jacobs, [name_m]Matthews[/name_m], Michaels, Johns, etc.

The only name I thought we had both liked was [name_m]Odin[/name_m] (he actually suggested it a couple years ago) but now he says he doesnt want people to think we got the idea from those [name_m]Thor[/name_m] movies that are out… So if I can’t name my kid any name that is from movies, books, people we know, or people who people we know know, then… I’m kinda stuck…

Any help?

If you decide to go that way, [name_m]Louis[/name_m] is actually on-trend right now: a British-feeling classic that feels vintage but hasn’t shot up yet.

Otherwise, maybe: [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Eli[/name_m], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]/[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]/[name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], or [name_m]Henry[/name_m]? Any of those sounding like what your style is?

I’m assuming your first child is a girl, since this is your second and the boy name issue is just coming up? Could you tell us her name, or just her name “style” if you’re more comfortable with that? It might make suggestions easier

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, our first is a girl, her name is [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]. She was actually named after my husbands grandmother, but it was more of a situation where we liked the name and it happened to be a family name.

I’m really not into doing the [name_m]Louis[/name_m] thing… not only do I not feel connected to the name, but I also struggle with what I would call it. [name_u]Lou[/name_u] is my father in law, [name_m]Louie[/name_m] is my husband… What does that leave for a baby? I’m just not feeling it.

I am trying to find a name that is classy like I think [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] is, but not so formal and stiff like I feel [name_m]Louis[/name_m] is. Does that make sense? I did suggest [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] to my husband but he didnt say anything… so my guess is he doesnt like it.

I should add that our last name is one syllable, and I’ve read (although maybe incorrectly) that it’s more pleasant-sounding to have a 2 or 3 syllable first name with a single syllable last name. Again, not sure if that is the case but it does make sense when I say names out loud. I’m not sure if I should limit myself to only 2+ syllable first names or not, but I definitely have been.

The following are classic but have a very fresh feeling to me, perhaps they appeal?
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] nn [name_u]Ricky[/name_u]

Personally, I think [name_m]Louis[/name_m] is the best of the names you listed. It is a great fit with [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]. If you really don’t want that, here are some that would work well with [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]:

[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Walt[/name_m]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_m]Cole[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]