New nicknames for Edmund

Back again for boy name help. And this one is tricky…

We don’t yet know if baby is a boy, but one of our boy options is Edmund — after a grandfather.

Trouble is, we don’t really want the nicknames Ed or Eddie. And unfortunately we can’t use Ned. Edited to add: and Ted / Teddy could be confusing, because our son Wyc’s first name is Theodore.

This is starting to sound like a NB meme, but we really would love to use Edmund if possible.

Can you help find a new nn for Edmund? Extra points if someone in the past has actually used the nn.

PS. If you’re wondering if we really need a nn, all our other kids have one (see link in signature).

PPS. Yes, we’ve thought about naming him Edmund and nn him something based on his middle name. But we already did that with our first boy, and we don’t really want to fix that as a standard.

What about [name_m]Ted[/name_m] or [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]?

1 Like

I hope these points are redeemable for prizes :wink:

[name_m]Ned[/name_m]
[name_m]Ender[/name_m]
[name_m]Mungo[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Ted[/name_m]
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u]
[name_f]Em[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmy[/name_f]
[name_m]Monty[/name_m]

1 Like

We’ve thought about it. But Wyc’s first name is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], so it would be sort of confusing. [name_m]Hence[/name_m] looking for a different nn.

1 Like

Maybe [name_m]Bear[/name_m] instead of [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]?

1 Like

@hellobanjo — [name_m]Ender[/name_m] is a really fun option. As for the prizes… hmn…
@freddiethepink — I’ll have to ask the wife about [name_m]Monty[/name_m].

Edmund is a great charming name!
Congratulations :grinning:

I think Mund , Mundie, Mun, Edmudy, Edmie / Edmy, Edu , Ednie / Edny and Edn can be acceptable as nicknames maybe :sweat_smile:

PS : I have a Fictional character named Edward bout he goes by Edw so I wrote some unique nicknames✌️ Again Congrats

1 Like

I think Endy, kind of like [name_u]Indie[/name_u], would be cute!

3 Likes

Do you have an idea of what the middle name might be? Here are some idea of first middle combo nick names"

• Edmund James could be EJ (though that doesn’t seeem like your style)
  • Edmund Benjamin could be Eben, (that seems to match your other kids more)
  • Edmund David Oscar could be Edo

E nickname ideas

• Edan (little fire)
  • Eddis
  • Edel (noble)
  • Eder (means handsome)
  • Edley (feels like a great alternate to Eddie)
  • Eden (biblical)
  • Ehud (old testament)
  • Elm
    *Enid (oftena girls name, could totally be a boys name)

Mun nickname ideas

• Mundo (means world in spanish from latin Mundus)
  • Munro (considered a variation of Edmund so I think is this a great option
  • Osmund (divine protection)

-ed nickname ideas

• Red or Redd or Redie (this is a big of a wild card but I was inspired by Redmund, and it contains the essential ed sound without being Edd or Eddy)
  • Jed or Jedd (beloved of the lord, feels like a good alternate to Ted or Ned)
  • Zed (still a bit out there but another nice alternate to Ted)

Potential alternative to Edmund:
Edmund is a great classic but Evermund is a wonderful saints name with the great nickname Ever

4 Likes

This got very long, so I just wanted to highlight my favorites

• Eddley (most phonically connected to [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], feels like a nickname)
  • [name_u]Munro[/name_u] (a variant of [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], stylish O endy but not trendy)
  • [name_m]Jed[/name_m] (nice alternate to [name_m]Ted[/name_m] and [name_m]Ned[/name_m], good meanig for you)
1 Like

Hmmm, tricky one!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the reasoning behind [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and think it is a great choice.

Agree, that [name_m]Ted[/name_m] or [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] could be confusing with that being your other son’s given name. Based on that, I don’t think I would use it.

Thoughts on just calling him E? [name_u]Or[/name_u] initials E+first letter of middle name? [name_u]Or[/name_u] could his full name initials spell something, like [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u], then call him [name_u]Jet[/name_u]?

I kinda liked the Mund suggestions. Not a everyday name, but not totally out there either. Edo or Edu? The [name_u]Red[/name_u] suggestions could work too. [name_u]Or[/name_u] Endy, but that goes against your -y or -ie ending dislike, so how about just End or [name_m]Ender[/name_m]?

I feel like all your other nicknames are very classic, I’m having a hard time coming up with one here! [name_m]Edley[/name_m] or [name_u]Edison[/name_u] come to mind, but neither is really a shortened version for a nn and almost like a whole new name.

I’m leaning towards Edu or something with his initials…. I think.

1 Like

Mundy
Muddy (maybe!?)

1 Like

Edmund…

[name_f]Edie[/name_f] (Ee-dee as opposed to [name_u]Eddie[/name_u]- might be too close to [name_u]Eddie[/name_u] though)
[name_f]Em[/name_f]
Mundy
Edme
Emun
[name_m]Nemo[/name_m]

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to make suggestions.

Endy is appealing — a bit of Andy as well as Indy. Well done @westem on noticing our ie/y preferences, though at this stage, we’re feeling a little more flexible. A little.

Red is also very appealing. Though, may not work if he’s not a redhead (esp when his brother and some of his sisters are).

I’m slightly tempted to try to get Edo to pass. It could work where we live. Though I want to say it with the Japanese pronunciation.

Nemo! is actually a longtime favourite as a character name — from Finding, Little, and Captain. Maybe it could work…

Or maybe we should resign ourselves to Ed. Trouble is that would make our two boys nn Wyc and Ed.

Then again, that alone may kill Edmund. And maybe we should shuffle the name around to not make it a first.

And so the debate continues…

More ideas still welcome.

1 Like

[name_m]Just[/name_m] saw the nn [name_u]Elm[/name_u] for someone on TV and thought that might be another suggestion!

1 Like

I thought of Dundy, but it has thay y ending. What about Endo?

1 Like

Edmie / Edmy, Edo/Edu , Ednie / Edny and Edn maybe … You may like …

1 Like

[name_m]Monty[/name_m]!

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] was my top choice if our second had been a boy and we were going to call him [name_m]Monty[/name_m]

1 Like

Thanks for all the great suggestions! As I mentioned in the other thread, yesterday on a date my wife and I we’re able to settle on a boy and a girl name we’re really excited about! So case closed for now.