New sidebar

I don’t like it all that much. Posts seems squished and bunched up, and I find it weird that pages are no longer 10 posts! I guess it’ll take some getting used to. But I find it rather odd. :confused:

I agree with most previous posters. I dislike the new page design as well.

I don’t like it either. Everything is shifted and smaller…

Can anyone find the “[name_m]New[/name_m] Posts” button?? Either I’m blind or it’s gone, which is driving me nuts. Granted, the first is a distinct possibility >_>

[name_m]New[/name_m] posts is left of “private messages”, on the grey/green line under the green line.

Oooh I figured out my problem! I never full-screen my browser, but apparently when it’s anything less than maximized the Forums bar with [name_m]New[/name_m] Posts, Private Messages, FAQ, etc. disappears now. I wonder if that’s a bug or a feature of the new design? Oh well. Thanks, Twin!

I thought I would get used to the new design, but I’m not. The sidebar should be on the left side. I still think it looks like the page didn’t load right.

I’m getting used to it. Honestly, I don’t even remember what the old layout looked like :slight_smile:

I don’t seem to have this option you’ve described. Private messages are only in my profile. What is on your screen when you see this - Forums Home, the individual forum or something else? I have to click on each Forum individually and it’s getting quite tedious.

I see where she means. When you look at the top, you see the drop down menus, yes? There’s the bright green box that says “Hello, ___”

Below that is a green line that says “Forums” on the left hand side. On the right of that green line, is a search box.

Under that is a grey-green line. On the left hand side of that line, under where it says Forum and under the box with your name in it, there are these options – [name_m]New[/name_m] Posts, Private Messages, FAQ, Community, Quick Links.

Nope I have everything you describe except for those last options.

That’s really weird O_o

Maybe you should email [name_f]Pam[/name_f] directly? She’s more likely to check there and be able to fix your problem than to check here. pam@nameberry.com

Malk, not sure what device and browser you’re using, but why don’t you email me your details along with a screen shot of how the top of the page looks when you’re signed in. I’ll have the engineers investigate.

Everyone else – interesting that people think the sidebar should be on the left. When we have two-column layouts on the rest of the site, as on the name and list pages, the only sidebar is on the right.

As I’ve seen when we make other changes on Nameberry, there’s a lot of resistance to the new format at first but I honest think the slightly narrow columns and shorter pages make the forum posts easier to read and digest.

I think the material in the right sidebar needs improvement – we’re working on that – but the overall idea is to make it easier for people in the forums to find interesting features on the site. Too often, the forums and the site feel like separate entities and we’d love to integrate them more. All ideas welcome!

Haha, I think changes just throws us! Like when the bus has a slightly new route, or your favourite magazine changes it’s logo. No biggie, I’m used to it already! The only thing is I wish there was still 20 thread per page in the sub-forums as I think a lot of threads are getting “lost”.

@malk - I have many “favorites added” on my desktop computer on the left hand side. I decreased the width of this Favorites column and voila - there are the [name_m]New[/name_m] Posts and the rest. Yeah, my favorites are squished but I can always increase it again when I’m not on Nameberry. Try it and see if it works for you!

I agree with [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]. The new layout is something I’m getting used to, but I still wish thread were 20 posts long. That’s because when I see a thread has 3 pages, I tend to go “Oh ok, they probably have enough opinions, I’ll go help this other person” when now, those 3 pages don’t mean as much.

I don’t have any favourites on the left side. will try a screen shot and email, [name_f]Pam[/name_f], thanks.

I’ve got it now, I reduced the size of my page view and it popped up. But that means the fonts are too tiny for my old eyes. I’d prefer the stuff on the right hand side to be smaller. It takes up a lot of space on the forums when you’re not interested in it.