New to Nameberry

I’ve been lurking for a while but since I just created a username I thought I would introduce myself to you other “berries”.

My name is [name]Jenna[/name] and I am 22 and in college and I also nanny part time. I love quirky vintage names with a bit of a British vibe, as even though I hail from [name]Texas[/name] I’m a total Anglophile, mainly encouraged by my great love of tea, [name]Shakespeare[/name], and [name]Prince[/name] [name]Harry[/name] ;). I won’t be having kids for a while but I am completely obsessed with names, and have pretty much always been.

Names I’m loving right now, feel free to critique/add input:

Boys:

1. [name]Jude[/name]-crisp, soft and masculine, and a Beatles reference. I can easily see [name]Jude[/name] playing lacrosse or being an artist. [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name] doesn’t hurt either. I guess you could call this my boyfriend (who kindly indulges my name obsession-that’s love right there and I-“our boy’s name”, meaning our first boy will for sure be [name]Jude[/name]. I’ve already shaken on it too. :slight_smile:

2. [name]Henry[/name]- definitely my favorite name, although my boyfriend is less enthused. He knows too many cats called [name]Henry[/name], but I’m determined to fight for it for a second son. I love the nicknames [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Hal[/name], and just plain [name]Henry[/name] as well. [name]Henry[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] is my favorite combo.

3. [name]Rufus[/name]-I know some people think it’s a dogs only name, but we love it! I think it’s spunky and charming, definitely a boy with a big personality. We love [name]Rufus[/name] [name]William[/name].

4. [name]Rhys[/name]-Obviously we can’t use both [name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Rhys[/name], but I love it and it will be a hard decision. We also like [name]Rhys[/name] [name]William[/name].

5. [name]Alfred[/name]-I know a lot of people hate [name]Alfie[/name] as well, but I love it! The only thing that’s stopping me is I can’t really see a football or soccer player named [name]Alfie[/name] and it sounds kind of sissy to me, but I think it’s retro and charming and it can’t be all bad, I mean it’s in the British top 10, right? I like [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name] [name]James[/name].

6. [name]Emmett[/name]-classy, smart, yet masculine. Downside: Twilight. Of course. [name]Emmett[/name] [name]John[/name].

Girls:

1. [name]Imogen[/name]. There’s just too many good thinks about it. Classy and Striking, feminine but not too frilly. Literary and solid. It’s a tie between [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] for our “girl name”. And the meaning “beloved child” is perfect. We love [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]. I think an [name]Imogen[/name] would be strikingly beautiful, but would be no frills and have no problem playing sports or being a bit of a tomboy. I see her as strong and smart.

2. [name]Lucy[/name]. Cute and Spunky, with so many good associations. [name]Lucy[/name] from Peanuts, from [name]Narnia[/name], from I love [name]Lucy[/name]. And we do. We love [name]Lucy[/name]. [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Caroline[/name].

3. [name]Philippa[/name]. This is my absolute favorite, but boyfriend is not so keen. I love the meaning, the British flair, and the nickname [name]Pippa[/name]. It’s perfection. I love [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Mary[/name].

4. [name]Emma[/name]- I know, I know. It’s hyper-mega-popular. But I still find it classy and charming. I love [name]Emma[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], to go by
    [name]Emma[/name]-[name]Cate[/name].

5. [name]Briony[/name]-love the literary connection, the British-ness,but something is keeping it lower on my list, not sure what.

6. [name]Eliza[/name]-[name]Eliza[/name] is perfect, but everyone I know hates it. an [name]Eliza[/name] would be smart, sassy, and extraordinarily pretty I think.

[name]Welcome[/name] to Nameberry [name]Jenna[/name]! I’m also a 22 year old college senior who is and has always been obsessed with names. I love your style, very british antique. I especially love [name]Jude[/name] and [name]Rhys[/name], but unfortunantly they sound terrible with my boyfriends ln. [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Emmett[/name] are also lovely. Off your girls list [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Philippa[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] are my favorites.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jenna[/name], I’m [name]Jade[/name]. 20-year-old college student/dance teacher/barista/sales girl (YAY college!) from Massachusetts. I really love all the names on your list, though I tend to like names that are a bit more adventurous. I agree that [name]Imogen[/name] is a fantastic name, and [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] is absolutely stunning. Doesn’t hurt that [name]Jude[/name] (which I also adore) and [name]Imogen[/name] make fantastic siblings. For what it’s worth I really like [name]Eliza[/name] too. It’s just so spunky and kind of funky while staying classic.

[name]Welcome[/name] to NB!

You have a great taste for beautiful names and I know you will find a “home away from home” here with us.

Blessings,

[name]Bella[/name] <3

[name]Welcome[/name] to you, [name]Jenna[/name]. You have great taste in names. Here are my opinions but don’t take the Nameberry honesty personally. All the best!
Boys
1[name]Jude[/name]-simple, short and nickname proof. Very nice.

1. [name]Henry[/name]- Not a fan but I’m in the minority here on Nameberry. [name]Henry[/name] and [name]William[/name] seem to be faves for so many people for some reason. [name]Henry[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] is a nice combo though.

2. [name]Rufus[/name]- I like this one but it would take quite the lad to pull it off.

3. [name]Rhys[/name]-Ok but very trendy.

4. [name]Alfred[/name]- A nice old Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name] gem - I think of [name]King[/name] [name]Alfred[/name] or [name]Michael[/name] [name]Caine[/name] in the film “[name]Alfie[/name]” when I hear this name. I like both of your combos, [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name] [name]James[/name].

5. [name]Emmett[/name]- Not my style but strangely I don’t mind [name]Everett[/name]. [name]Emmett[/name] [name]John[/name] is nice.

Girls:

1. [name]Imogen[/name] - I’ve always liked this Shakespearean name but I like it pronounced the British way (imojen) not the [name]North[/name] American way (imojean). I like [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] better than [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name].

2. [name]Lucy[/name] - I like this name a lot but prefer [name]Lucia[/name]. [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Mary[/name] is too matchy but [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] is lovely.

3. [name]Philippa[/name] - This is ok and [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Mary[/name] flows well.

4. [name]Emma[/name]- [name]Even[/name] if it’s popular, it’s still a great name. [name]Emma[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is classy.

5. [name]Briony[/name]- Cute and spunky like [name]Lucy[/name].

6. [name]Eliza[/name]- [name]Eliza[/name] has a modern sassy vibe but it’s vintage at the same time. [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Grace[/name] are two of my fave combinations.

[name]Welcome[/name], and I love your taste! :slight_smile:

I’ll share my opinions:

1. [name]Jude[/name]- I wish I would have shaken on this name before I got married, lol. Seriously, I love the name, it is one of my favorites. I think [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name] has put a “cool” edge to the name that wasn’t there before (I think it was a little nerdy before he became a household name). [name]Love[/name] this and I hope you use it.

2. [name]Henry[/name]- I know [name]Henry[/name] is one of those names that everyone seems to love (it is very popular in my area), but it has never been a favorite of mine. I think the only reason being I am tired of hearing it, so it has lost the wow factor for me.

3. [name]Rufus[/name]-I like this, too! It is spunky, edgy and fun. There are countless “dog” names that are used on people, so that wouldn’t bother me.

4. [name]Rhys[/name]- too trendy, stick with [name]Rufus[/name]. .

5. [name]Alfred[/name]-I think [name]Alfie[/name] is adorable, and [name]Alfred[/name] is great on an adult.

6. [name]Emmett[/name]- I don’t care for [name]Emmett[/name] at all, sorry. But I also don’t care for [name]Bennett[/name], [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Everett[/name], etc…too trendy. I have a friend that has two boys named [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Henry[/name], so she must have similar taste. She is due with another boy and their favorite name right now is [name]George[/name]! What are your thougts on that one?

Girls:

1. [name]Imogen[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name] this, for all the reasons you have described. My husband wouldn’t get on board with it, so we went with another “I” name. We picked [name]Ingrid[/name]; I am curious what your thoughts are on that name? (I am about 10 years older than you, so I am curious what perceptions of the name are in a college-aged person…you can be brutally honest :wink: ). [name]Do[/name] you like any other “I” names? Fortunately I have been hearing [name]Imogen[/name] more here in the states, which I love! It was virtually unheard of here until recently, and it is so refreshing to start hearing it.

2. [name]Lucy[/name]. very cute, but almost too cute for me. I just can’t take an adult named [name]Lucy[/name] very seriously, even though I know several of them.

3. [name]Philippa[/name]. I love this, and [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Mary[/name] is perfect! Adorable nickname, too. What are your thoughts on [name]Penelope[/name]? That seems to be rising a lot in popularity here.

4. [name]Emma[/name]- Not only is this too popular for me, it lacks substance for me. I guess I prefer stronger girls names.

5. [name]Briony[/name]- I have always had a soft spot for [name]Briony[/name] or [name]Briar[/name], though I don’t think I would ever use them. I also like [name]Waverly[/name] a lot.

6. [name]Eliza[/name]- I love [name]Eliza[/name]. Not enough for me to use it, but I think it is a great name.

I am looking forward to reading more of your posts! I think you have great perspective and will give great advice and feedback!

I absolutely love [name]George[/name]! I think it’s so refreshing to hear it on a little boy, it ages well, and the nickname [name]Geordie[/name] is adorable. I think your friend has excellent taste. Two other names I really love are [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name]. What do you think of these? Also, which do you think sounds better with [name]Jude[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Alfie[/name], or [name]Freddie[/name]? Their nickname endings are too match for me to consider more than one of them for future kids…

I do love [name]Penelope[/name] and adore the nickname [name]Poppy[/name], but my boyfriend will never go for it as [name]Poppy[/name] is too close to the Spanish term “Papi”. [name]Penny[/name] is an alright nickname though, and I love it’s mythological ties and upper crusty British feel. It’s also close to another name I love even more, [name]Persephone[/name]. I’m reading a book right now where one of the main characters is a [name]Persephone[/name], and she goes by [name]Percy[/name]! [name]How[/name] cool is that?! I actually mentioned [name]Persephone[/name] to my boyfriend the other day and he LOVED IT! he said he would totally name our daughter [name]Persephone[/name]. Plus I think she makes an amazing sister to [name]Imogen[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m new too :slight_smile:
I’m [name]Lauren[/name] and I’m 25 from New Zealand. No kids, but I love names and I always plan what I’d call them if I ever have them!
I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jude[/name]. I always wanted to have a son called [name]River[/name] [name]Jude[/name]. Then I found out that that’s what [name]River[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name]'s middle name was…But I still love it so I’ll copy him!
[name]Rhys[/name] is a cool name. Very Welsh! Whenever I think of it, I think of [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Darby[/name] and [name]Griff[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Jones[/name] haha, although I’m not sure if you would know who they are in [name]America[/name]…

I went to school with a lot of Lucys, Emmas and Phillippas and I had two friends called [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] and I was always so jealous of their names. A guy I used to know had a sister called [name]Persephone[/name], but apparently you have to be careful that people don’t pronounce it “[name]Percy[/name]-Phone!”

I’m becoming addicted to this site…

I’m new too! I"m 26, newly married, looking at starting to TTC in 6 or so months. And i’m in Australia.

I don’t have a lot of feedback on your choices - I like them but not great at articulating why I like names yet. (I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it soon though)

One thing I did have to add though - you said you couldn’t see [name]Alfie[/name] as a football player. Well. One of our most well known footy players here in Queensland was named [name]Alfie[/name] (short for [name]Allan[/name]) so I can totally see [name]Alfie[/name] as a footballer! Lol
(here he is on wikipedia if you’re interested Allan Langer - Wikipedia)

And I am definately already addicted to nameberry

[quote=“lauren-kay”]Hi! I’m new too :slight_smile:
I’m Lauren and I’m 25 from New Zealand. I’m becoming addicted to this site…[/quote

[name]Welcome[/name] to you and the other new nameberries! It is so easy for the devoted namelover to become addicted to nameberry. I find names fascinating and sometimes perplexing when I see a trend in vintage names take off and it often takes me a while to see the name through fresh ‘eyes’ to appreciate it. For example I was horrified to hear of a [name]Henry[/name] some years back and now the trend towards [name]Albert[/name] style names makes me wonder what the attraction is as I have always found them to be dusty, musty and unattractive.

I have several grandchildren and have had such fun being part of the naming process for them.

PS IT HAS [name]JUST[/name] TURNED 12AM, [name]MIDNIGHT[/name] NEW YEAR’S [name]EVE[/name]!!! HERE IN [name]OZ[/name]. :smiley: :smiley: FIREWORKS ARE LIGHTING UP THE [name]NIGHT[/name] [name]SKY[/name] HERE AND IN [name]SYDNEY[/name] AND THE HARBOUR [name]BRIDGE[/name] FIREWORKS ARE GREAT!! WHOO HOO, [name]HAPPY[/name] NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!! :

rollo

[name]HAPPY[/name] NEW YEAR [name]ROLLO[/name]!!! (and anyone else in that corner of the world)
Completely off topic but…this was time stamped as 9:15am where I’m at. I now still have half a day (literally) to go before 2011 starts here. Never really appreciated the time difference before.

[name]HAPPY[/name] NEW YEAR [name]ROLLO[/name]!!! (and anyone else in that corner of the world)
Completely off topic but…this was time stamped as 9:15am where I’m at. I now still have half a day (literally) to go before 2011 starts here. Never really appreciated the time difference before.[/quote]

Thank you! I have just got up and my New Years resolution to walk along the beach early is already being put on hold because I would rather have breakfast, sleep in a little more and just veg at little. What is it about New Year’s resolutions that makes them so hard to keep?

[name]Happy[/name] New Year. I saw the fireworks in [name]Sydney[/name] too, they were brilliant! I love the names [name]Henry[/name], [name]Rhys[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name] (my cat’s name is [name]Alfie[/name]) and [name]Philippa[/name], [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Briony[/name].

[name]Happy[/name] New Year. I saw the fireworks in [name]Sydney[/name] too, they were brilliant! I love the names [name]Henry[/name], [name]Rhys[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name] (my cat’s name is [name]Alfie[/name]) and [name]Philippa[/name], [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Briony[/name].[/quote]

I like or love all the names you have listed especially [name]Imogen[/name] except for [name]Alfred[/name] (maybe next year I will love it.)
And great to know there is a [name]Sydney[/name] Aussie here on nameberry, [name]Happy[/name] New Year!

[name]Hi[/name], I’m Kels. I’m 18, from NZ but currently in Australia.

I’m into old-fashioned type names as I think being “unique” is overrated, and my children will stand out by having legit, correctly-spelled names. :stuck_out_tongue: As you can see from my sig, my current favourite names for future children are [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Joy[/name] and [name]William[/name] [name]David[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]. A second boy would be [name]John[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]. Not sure on the second girl’s name but its not urgent anyway.

Nice to meet you. :slight_smile: