Nickname for 5th namesake!

We are really struggling to come up with a usable name for a future boy. [name_f]My[/name_f] DH is [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] M****** IV (the fourth) and if we have a boy, our son would become the fifth. DH goes by [name_m]Jack[/name_m], so that’s not an option. I don’t love [name_m]John[/name_m] by itself, it feels boring. I like [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] but DH does not. J.M., J.J., and [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] are all off the table because of family members.

DH suggested JV (since the symbol for the fifth is roan numeral V), but I feel like that’s asking to be teased as a teenager. Anyone else think it’s usable? Or is boring ole [name_m]John[/name_m] our best bet?

Ugh! Help!

1 Like

Maybe [name_u]Joey[/name_u]?
[name_u]Marsh[/name_u]
[name_u]Mars[/name_u]
[name_m]Josh[/name_m]? John [name_f]Mar[/name_f]shall
[name_u]Jay[/name_u]

Quinn
[name_m]Quint[/name_m]
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u]

1 Like

I think JV is easy and cute! If he does not like it as a teenager, he will be able to say so and go by what he chooses anyway. The only association I can think of is junior varsity so I’m not sure if that’s what you’re referring to? I don’t think that would be too big of a deal, especially if he is in the same school system/with the same peers for years.

2 Likes

Jem!

4 Likes

Jem is great! Also [name_u]Mars[/name_u] and [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]

1 Like

I think JV is useable! I also like the suggestion of [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]. [name_u]Quince[/name_u] would also be nice.

2 Likes

I don’t see the problem with JV personally. Maybe you like [name_u]Jojo[/name_u] or [name_u]Joey[/name_u] as another option?

2 Likes

John —> [name_m]Jack[/name_m] —> [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] —> [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], maybe?

Mars or [name_m]Josh[/name_m] are really good option!

Jem was my first thought too! LOVE it :heart:

I also really like the suggestion of [name_u]Quin[/name_u] or [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] (for the fifth) or [name_u]Sonny[/name_u], as a generic nickname for a son. [name_u]Mack[/name_u] is cool too!

I know a [name_u]Jory[/name_u] (like [name_u]Rory[/name_u] with a J), I like that too.

This may be a stretch, but could you take [name_m]Jack[/name_m] plus the M from [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] and do [name_u]Mack[/name_u]?

I also like the suggestions of [name_m]Josh[/name_m] and [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]/Quinn.

1 Like

Would [name_m]Jonty[/name_m] work?

JV is a nice nickname! I like it!
[name_m]Josh[/name_m], [name_u]Mars[/name_u], [name_u]Jojo[/name_u], [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] and [name_u]Quince[/name_u] are awesome ideas! What about [name_m]Five[/name_m]?

Jono
Jom
[name_m]Hall[/name_m]
Cinco
[name_m]Jam[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_m]Johnson[/name_m]
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u]
Jarsh
[name_u]Jo[/name_u]/Joe

maybe [name_u]Jovi[/name_u], [name_m]Jove[/name_m], or [name_m]Jovan[/name_m]?

And honestly, I kinda do like Five as a nickname (my son watches a cartoon where one of the characters is nicknamed High Five/Five and it’s really grown on me.)

There’s also [name_m]Ewan[/name_m], [name_m]Ian[/name_m], [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Vano[/name_m], (given [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Jovan[/name_m], and [name_m]Vano[/name_m], just [name_u]Van[/name_u] would probably work too!) [name_m]Ivo[/name_m], [name_u]Gio[/name_u], [name_u]Jan[/name_u], [name_m]Jens[/name_m], [name_m]Jowan[/name_m], and [name_m]Sean[/name_m], which are all various language variants of [name_m]John[/name_m].

[name_u]Jem[/name_u], [name_m]Quint[/name_m]/Quincy/Quinn, [name_m]Jonty[/name_m], Jono, and [name_u]Mack[/name_u] are all great suggestions. Even [name_u]Jay[/name_u] works.
And I think JV is perfectly usable. The only association I can think for that is Junior Varsity, not something that carries a lot of teasing material.

Jojo
[name_u]Shelly[/name_u]

Jordy?

Since DH goes by [name_m]Jack[/name_m], how about [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] for your future boy? Literally, [name_m]Jack[/name_m]’s-son?

Or, would you consider international alternative variations for [name_m]John[/name_m]? The list is endless, but here are some of the most usable in the US, I think:

Evan (Welsh)
[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] (Scottish)
[name_u]Gianni[/name_u] (Italian)
[name_u]Gio[/name_u]
[name_m]Hans[/name_m] ([name_m]Dutch[/name_m], [name_m]German[/name_m], Swedish)
[name_m]Ian[/name_m] ([name_f]English[/name_f])
[name_m]Ivan[/name_m] (Slavic languages)
[name_m]Ivo[/name_m] (Croatian)
[name_u]Jean[/name_u] ([name_u]French[/name_u])
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m] (Germanic languages)
[name_u]Sean[/name_u] (Irish)
[name_u]Shane[/name_u] (Anglicanised form of [name_u]Sean[/name_u])
[name_u]Shawn[/name_u] (Anglicanised form of [name_u]Sean[/name_u])
[name_m]Zane[/name_m]

Otherwise, I think JV is usable despite possible teasing, and I like other posters suggesting [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]/Quint/Quinn/Quentin.

1 Like

With the initials J.M. I immediately thought of [name_m]Jim[/name_m] or [name_u]Jamie[/name_u], even though they’re usually nicknames for [name_u]James[/name_u].

1 Like

I love the suggestion of quincy

Also [name_u]Jay[/name_u] orJayce would be nice

Yeah, like people have said JV is fine, and [name_u]Joey[/name_u], [name_m]Jim[/name_m] and [name_u]Mars[/name_u] is actually really good. You could also just use a unrelated nickname/cutesy baby thing (i.e [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_m]Lion[/name_m]) or whatever you call him now (Basically [name_f]Pixie[/name_f] for boys, usually not given but cute as a nickname)