Nickname for Amelia - Is Emme/Emmy ok?

We’re planning on naming our little girl [name]Amelia[/name], but I really was hoping to use [name]Emme[/name] or [name]Emmy[/name] as a nickname. Is that too much of a stretch? [name]Will[/name] people think we are just making stuff up if we use that? I’m just not in love with the other nicknames that I can think of ([name]Mia[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], etc.)

I don’t think it’s too big of a stretch, but some might… Though I’ve known an [name]Emilia[/name] for a long time so that may be skewing my opinion.

I think it’s totally fine…my oldest is named [name]Camille[/name] and she nicknamed herself [name]Mia[/name], which is what we still call her. Nicknames don’t always have to be intuitive. I think [name]Emmy[/name]'s a cute nickname. Are you considering the name [name]Emilia[/name] as well?

My other daughters are both A names so my DH thinks we have to go with the “A” spelling vs. the “E” spelling. I actually was fine with using non-A names, but he didn’t like any of my other names that I picked.

My other daughters are both A names so my DH thinks we have to go with the “A” spelling vs. the “E” spelling. I actually was fine with using non-A names, but he didn’t like any of my other names that I picked.

[name]Emme[/name]/[name]Emmy[/name] is fine as a nickname for [name]Amelia[/name]. Lots of traditional nicknames aren’t particularly intuitive ([name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Peggy[/name], [name]John[/name]/[name]Jack[/name], [name]Ned[/name]/[name]Edward[/name], etc). Have you thought about spelling it [name]Emilia[/name] though? It actually has different origins than [name]Amelia[/name] so it’s not an inventive spelling or anything, and it leads to [name]Em[/name]/[name]Emmy[/name] easily.

I think it’s a little odd. It sort of makes it seem that you like [name]Emme[/name]/[name]Emmy[/name] but are forcing the name to start with an A to fit your pattern. If it were me, I would use the name [name]Emilia[/name] which sounds similar and lends itself to [name]Emme[/name]. If you really want to use an A name, you could shorten [name]Amelia[/name] to [name]Lia[/name] or [name]Amy[/name] as well as [name]Mia[/name].

I used to babysit an [name]Amelia[/name]/[name]Emmy[/name]. I was never quite sure how [name]Emmy[/name] flowed from [name]Amelia[/name], but it doesn’t bother me. In any case, others have done it, so it must be legit.