Nickname for Simona

My husband and I are expecting and both really love the name [name]Simona[/name]. I love the meaning (“one who hears/listens”) and it works well with our last name. We also like the unusual to familiar factor. My only concern is that I really don’t like the nn [name]Mona[/name] and I’m so scared that [name]Simona[/name] may morph into [name]Mona[/name] over time. What do you think? Is this an inevitable nickname?

No, I definitely don’t think it’s inevitable. If you call her [name]Simona[/name], that’s what her name will be. If you don’t like [name]Mona[/name], then don’t call her [name]Mona[/name]. There is a chance that her friends might shorten the name, but I don’t think it really matters since it’s ultimately up to [name]Simona[/name] herself. I think it’s a lovely name, by the way!

I actually like [name]Mona[/name]. I think [name]Simona[/name] is lovely! I knew a [name]Simona[/name] with a brother [name]Vincent[/name].

I don’t think she will get called [name]Mona[/name] if you don’t call her that. Her nickname could be Simi?

Before I read your post I couldn’t think of any names for [name]Simona[/name]. I don’t think [name]Mona[/name] is an obvious or traditional nn for [name]Simona[/name], but I have never met anyone with the name! What about [name]Simon[/name]? Ok, maybe not. Simi may be cute, or [name]Si[/name]. But if you don’t want a nn, then don’t use one! [name]Just[/name] correct people if they try to make a nn for her.

[name]Hi[/name]! I live in [name]Italy[/name] and all the [name]Simona[/name]'s I know get called Simo (seemo). I also know a couple of [name]Simona[/name] who went by Sissi when they were little.
Never heard of a [name]Simona[/name] nicknamed [name]Mona[/name], but that might be because as far as I know the word “mona” is a dirty word in some regions of [name]Italy[/name] so that might be why it never caught on as a nickname for [name]Simona[/name].

Thank you everyone for your opinion! Simi, Simo and Sissi are very cute and make us feel much more confident in our choice of [name]Simona[/name].

I absolutely love the name [name]Simona[/name]! For what it’s worth, I know of a [name]Simona[/name] who goes by Simi (never [name]Mona[/name]), and the same goes for the two Simones I once knew.

I think it’s a gorgeous name!

Take care! :slight_smile:

I know a [name]Simone[/name] who goes by [name]Mim[/name]

That’s really cute, [name]Cressida[/name]! :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

Have a cousin with this name. Cute name. She IS called [name]Mona[/name] occasionally by some, but not family members. Some of her friends did adopt that nickname. You don’t have to call her that, but it may be tough to stop others eventually.

I love [name]Mim[/name]!! Adorable