Nickname Question

I like the name Zakarian, I know it’s odd. It’s not a definite boy choice for us, but it’s on the list. My question is: [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Zane[/name] is too much of a NN stretch for Zakarian? [name]Zak[/name] is not an option for us because it rhymes with out last name. We’ve also thought of [name]Rian[/name] ([name]Ryan[/name]) but that’s my [name]BIL[/name]'s name. [name]Ari[/name] might be an option too, but I am in [name]LOVE[/name] with [name]Zane[/name]. [name]Zane[/name] its self is not an option for us as well because our last name is only one syllable. So, what does everyone think?

I think I would still go with [name]Zane[/name], even with a one syllable last name. If that is what he is always going to go by, then he will introduce himself as [name]Zane[/name] __ anyway. I think a 1-1 syllable name sounds fine. For example, there is a western author named [name]Zane[/name] [name]Grey[/name]. It is short, but I think it flows fine and I kinda like the short, simple names. I’m not a fan of Zakarian, and I’m not sure how to pronounce it. But, if you really like it, you can attach any nn to it that you want. Most people will automatically use [name]Zak[/name] though, unless you tell them otherwise.

I think it could definitely work. Most people will probably try to shorten it to [name]Zak[/name] at first but as long as you politely tell them “We prefer [name]Zane[/name]” I think it will be just fine. [name]Just[/name] a note too, I think [name]Zane[/name] by itself could work with a one syllable last name as long as you do a long MN, but Zakarian does go nicely with Laikon.

I love [name]Zane[/name]! I think Zakarian nn [name]Zane[/name] is a bit of a stretch but I love [name]Zane[/name] so much that I would probably make it work, anyway. I think there are stranger full name/nn combinations. I agree with the others that [name]Zane[/name] (one syllable ln) could definitely work. It may not be the best flow out there but I don’t think something like [name]Zane[/name] [name]Smith[/name], [name]Zane[/name] [name]Paul[/name], [name]Zane[/name] [name]Young[/name], etc., sounds bad at all (although it could be because my grandmother had a 1-1 syllable FN and MN, so the connection is a nice one for me). I think you could definitely do Zakarian nn [name]Zane[/name], but I think if you just do [name]Zane[/name], it’ll be a lot easier to ensure he’ll go by [name]Zane[/name] when you want him to. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Zakarian is the last name of Geoffrey Zakarian, most recent Iron Chef. I love the cooking channel, DH and I cuddle up and watch it all the time. Zuh-care-e-an would be as close as I can come to sounding it out in type, lol. I like the fact that it has a ‘K’ in it and ends in an ‘N’ like DS’ name. Our last name sounds like the animal ‘Yak’. You don’t think the Zane ‘Yak’ clashes a bit? I wouldn’t mind it as a NN, but I’m still not sure how I feel about it being a legitimate FN for us.

Ohhh, well, that’s a bit more problematic, haha. I was just going off of any other one-syllable ln I could think of. [name]Zane[/name] Yak sounds a bit cartoonish to me, and, despite the fact that I don’t even drink alcohol, I can’t stop thinking of “cognac”… :frowning: Maybe Zakarian “Yak” nn [name]Zane[/name] would be better, after all. :slight_smile:

Ok, I was pronouncing Zakarian like [name]Zachariah[/name]. I still think [name]Zane[/name] works fine with your last name. I’m not that concerned with perfect flow though. So long as it doesn’t sound terrible, I say go with the name you like best.

I can see how it would be pronounced like [name]Zachariah[/name], but that would be right on par with my DS’ name. Laikon is pronounced like ‘[name]Lay[/name]-ken’ (same as [name]Laken[/name]) and most people think is Lie-can like the Lycan werewolves from Underworld. Lol.

And yeah, our last name is a bit hard to deal with. It’s hard to find any names out of the norm that doesn’t make us sound very very eastern european. Ha.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Zander[/name]? Then shorten to [name]Zane[/name]?

Names like [name]Zander[/name], [name]Xander[/name], [name]Zavier[/name], and [name]Xavier[/name] are rampant around here. Z and Xs are the ‘cool’ letters right now. My friend who is getting married plans to name her son [name]Xander[/name] anyways and I wouldn’t want to snatch it from her. :wink: Thanks for the suggestion, though. I’m looking for something a little less ordinary.

Maybe you would like Zephan? My little boy is named this contraction of [name]Zephaniah[/name] and we get LOTS of comments about how unusual it is.

I do love the name [name]Zane[/name], and I also have a soft spot for 1-1 syllable names. [name]Zane[/name] Yak is okay, maybe not the most appealing, and I definitely wouldn’t do [name]Zack[/name] Yak; but [name]Zane[/name] is honestly just fine. I do think [name]Zane[/name] would be a cool nn for Zakarian too, but agree that [name]Zack[/name] would be the common attempted shortening. “Zakarian, we call him [name]Zane[/name]” would probably cover it though.

Good luck deciding!

You should know that Zakarian is, like almost all other “-ian” last names, Armenian. Armenians have been attacked in genocides over the centuries, some of which have been / still are denied by the groups or governments involved. You’re kind of stepping into semi-controversial political ground, in my opinion, and there are some (although not all) Armenians who are fiercely patriotic and proud of their heritage; to them, it might be a little odd if you choose such an obviously, strongly Armenian name, if you are not of that background.