Nickname stealing?

DH and I have 3 kids, and since starting our family, we’ve had a master list, and then for each child we’ve made a short list, mostly of names from the master list, but sometimes throwing another name in there. We have had [name]Giselle[/name] on the master list for years now and we both love it, but it just wasn’t right for our 2 daughters. The nickname we planned on using for the name was [name]Ellie[/name].

DH’s brother and his wife just had a baby girl named [name]Ellery[/name]. She’s just a few weeks old so they haven’t settled on a nickname yet, but I’ve heard her called [name]Elle[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] already.

Is [name]Giselle[/name] out for us? Or could we use it and not use the nickname? They live nearby and the kids will grow up together…

Well I don’t see the issue too much here. [name]Ellie[/name] is a nickname for a lot of names so it’s not going to just be them using it. It’s not like the named their daughter [name]Giselle[/name] and called her [name]Ellie[/name].

You shouldn’t feel bad about using [name]Giselle[/name] nn [name]Ellie[/name] at all. [name]Ellie[/name] is a popular nickname and not exclusively theirs. If you love the name, don’t let that ruin it for you.

I wouldn’t want my child to go by the exact same name as another child, especially not if they were close. So if they’d call her [name]Ellie[/name], I wouldn’t call my daughter [name]Ellie[/name]. However they are calling her [name]Elle[/name] (which is not pronounced like [name]Ellie[/name], I assume?) and [name]Ella[/name] which are similar but not the same name so I think it’s fine. You should definitely use [name]Giselle[/name]. If they call their daughter [name]Ellie[/name] you could still call your daughter by her full name.

Go for [name]Giselle[/name]! It’s lovely, and I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal even if they DID end up sharing the same nn.

I really don’t think it’s fair to claim a nickname, I know two people who use the nn evie for evelyn and eve and it’s not a problem. Sometimes nn’s just come naturally and I think saying only your child can be called something is unfair

I should clarify: my answer really should they have a problem with you using the name. I would go ahead the name