Nicknames and Lullabies

My Dad and my husband both sing my son that old [name]Woody[/name] [name]Guthrie[/name] song “Hobo’s Lullaby” when he’s sleepy… and call him the Weary Hobo.

We’re expecting a little girl in a few months… anybody have any sweet little girl songs/nicknames?

I always sing my daughters “The Girl I Mean to Be” from the musical [name]Secret[/name] Garden. Gorgeous song, but no nickname opportunities from it, I don’t think. I also sing them a [name]Vienna[/name] Teng lullaby called [name]Anna[/name] [name]Rose[/name], and another lullaby called [name]Jenny[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name].

Not hugely creative, but I love “Lullaby” by [name]Billy[/name] [name]Joel[/name]…perfect for a little girl.
Obvious nn would be [name]Angel[/name].

[name]Will[/name] keep thinking on others…

The one I thought of off the top of my head is this song I play for the nursery children’s division for Sabbath School at my church each weekend. I don’t even remember where they got the music from, but I think they came up with their own lyrics for it… it’s not the lyrics that are on the sheet music, anyway. But it goes:

[name]Jesus[/name] loves ([name]Isabelle[/name]), [name]Jesus[/name] loves me
[name]Jesus[/name] loves you with love tenderly
[name]Jesus[/name] loves all, no matter how small
That’s why I love [name]Jesus[/name] better than all.

:slight_smile: It’s so cute, I memorized the lyrics and have it saved on my iPod so I can sing it to my children when I have them. I can’t really help you with the melody, though, haha, sorry. I love that you can personalize it for each individual child, but if you’re not [name]Christian[/name] (or religious at all, really), it’s probably not the best suggestion.

I’m not sure about nns, though, sorry.

These are so sweet! Thanks! [name]Even[/name] if it doesn’t have a nickname associated with it, that’s ok. As soon as we found out that we were expecting a girl we started trying to come up with “her lullaby”!

My mom would sing me the [name]John[/name] [name]Lennon[/name] song Beautiful Boy, but change the lyrics to girl!

[name]Do[/name] you all know [name]Allison[/name] Krauss’ [name]Baby[/name] Mine? So sweet! Also Nella Fantasia by Celtic Women is pretty awesome. I saw the lyrics translated on a blog (the blogger has a daughter named Nella) and it’s pretty sweet!

That’s a sweet memory, taz! Love it.

My Mom used to play a song from [name]Pete[/name]'s Dragon “Candle in the Water” or maybe I listened to it on one of those books on tape at night? I can’t remember but it’s a sweet song.

Can’t think of nicknames, but here’s a list of lullabies I use with my son.
[name]Baby[/name] Mine- from Dumbo
Away in a Manger
O [name]Little[/name] Town of Bethlem
[name]River[/name] Lullaby from [name]Prince[/name] of [name]Egypt[/name]- you can find it on YouTube
Feed the Birds- [name]Mary[/name] Poppins
Stay Awake- also [name]Mary[/name] Poppins
[name]Baby[/name] Beluga
I love you, a bushel and a peck
[name]Sing[/name] sweet nightingale- [name]Cinderella[/name]
Hush little baby- I made up most of the verses I use :wink:

This is most of them, but I used more, depending on his mood. A lot of [name]Christmas[/name] songs work well for lullabies.