Nicknames as a first name

My DD is called [name]Abby[/name] - only [name]Abby[/name]. We’ve never had an issue with it and are happy that it’s a full enough name on it’s own.

BUT… My OH wants to call our next DD (if yellow bump is a girl) [name]Sam[/name] - not [name]Samantha[/name] or any other lengthened version - just [name]Sam[/name]. I am concerned that ‘[name]Sam[/name]’ for a girl is not enough of a name and that when written down people will assume she’s a boy. What do you think?

Also, we both like [name]Charlie[/name] for a girl - same problem as above and as [name]Charlie[/name] is currently in the top five boys names the likelihood is she would have a boy [name]Charlie[/name] in her class.

Also, I love the name [name]Isabel[/name] - OH doesn’t think it’s our style. We would use nn [name]Izzy[/name]… Can we just use the name [name]Izzy[/name] on it’s own for a girl or again is it not enough of a ‘proper’ name.

Without being rude we are in UK so names are probably more regimented than in US anyway.

Thoughts?

If you like [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] for a girl, I would definitely use a longer form. I am not from the UK but I have a few friends there who do keep me somewhat updated on trends and the most popular names there and from what I understand, just [name]Charlie[/name] and just [name]Sam[/name] are quite popular for boys there. Here I don’t think it would be a problem since neither nn is very popular as a given name but there it is, so I would probably do the fuller [name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Samantha[/name] or [name]Samara[/name] or whatever.

As for [name]Isabel[/name], I’m not really sure what to say… I obviously prefer the longer form as [name]Isabelle[/name] is my top choice for a girl and I’m not a fan of using nicknames as given names in general. But if you already have an [name]Abby[/name], just [name]Abby[/name], I don’t think [name]Abby[/name] and [name]Izzy[/name] would be that bad. I think just [name]Izzy[/name] seems more versatile than just [name]Abby[/name], personally, but I don’t think there would be a problem using [name]Abby[/name] and [name]Isabel[/name] for sisters… [name]Isabel[/name] is only one syllable more than [name]Abby[/name], and only two letters longer.

As for your last comment, what do you mean by names are more regimented in the UK than here? I’m just a bit baffled by it since using nicknames as given names isn’t seen in such a positive light as it is in the UK. That’s the only thing I could think of that you would be referring to…

From reading posts on the forum I just feel that American names are so varied and probably half of the names I’ve never heard of and (without being rude) are quite bizarre (from an English point of view).
As such I just assumed that in [name]America[/name] it is really ‘anything goes’ and that strange and unusual names are not uncommon.

I think [name]Sam[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] would both be confused as boys when seen written down. [name]Samira[/name] or Samaire would be a nicer alternative than just [name]Sam[/name] if that’s an option. Also, [name]Charlotte[/name] for [name]Charlie[/name] would be much nicer.

[name]Isabel[/name] is lovely. It’s actually what I’m changing my name to (with the nn [name]Bella[/name]). For some reason [name]Poppy[/name] keeps coming to mind as a suggestion for you and a sister for [name]Abby[/name]. Maybe a bit much together, though.

Here are some other suggestions

[name]Callie[/name]
[name]Carly[/name] etc
[name]Carrie[/name]
[name]Dolly[/name]
[name]Dottie[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Hallie[/name]
[name]Josie[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Lottie[/name]
[name]Maddie[/name]
[name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] ([name]Abby[/name] and [name]Sadie[/name] seems very logical to me, and captures something from [name]Sam[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], and [name]Isabel[/name])

I am in the US but have more conservative taste than some I suppose. What makes [name]Abby[/name] work I think are a couple features: it’s clearly feminine, and it’s also a word (even if spelled differently), which makes it seem more complete. I think [name]Abby[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] in particular are nice, and then you’d have both [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Lottie[/name] options. If you like [name]Charlie[/name], perhaps [name]Carly[/name] (or [name]Carlee[/name] or something) is good - at least in the US, it rings feminine.

Like pp’s suggestion of [name]Poppy[/name] and I can also see [name]Rose[/name].

Good luck!

I know a family with daughters [name]Abby[/name] (short for [name]Abigail[/name]) and an [name]Izzy[/name] (short for [name]Isabel[/name])! I think they’re cute together.

Regarding nicknames as names, off the top of my head, I know (adults and children) whose “official” given names are: [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Kate[/name], [name]Callie[/name], [name]Emmie[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Allie[/name], [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Sadie[/name] (we’re in the US, btw). DH and I are strongly leaning toward “[name]Daisy[/name]” for dd#3, knowing that it’s a nickname for [name]Margaret[/name], but because we plan to call her “[name]Daisy[/name],” we’re just going to cut right to the chase and use that as her given name.

“[name]Sam[/name]” and “[name]Charlie[/name]” are adorable, but will likely be mistaken for boys – especially on paper. If you’d like to avoid that confusion, and want the name that you give her to be the name that you call her, the PPs have some great suggestions for alternatives ([name]Poppy[/name] is just sooo sweet!!!). Congratulations, and good luck!

Maybe [name]Charlise[/name] for [name]Charlie[/name]?

Thanks for the replies my OH and I don’t like any of the longer versions of [name]Sam[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name] (just to be awkward) but I was concerned they would be mistaken for boys names which has been confirmed.

[name]Maddie[/name] is one name that we both like but think it might be a bit too similar sounding to [name]Abby[/name]

[name]Poppy[/name] for me is too girly and our surname is three syllables beginning with a P so it sounds like a tongue-twister

I like [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Callie[/name] and [name]Carrie[/name] bit OH doesn’t!

It’s really difficult as we had [name]Abby[/name]'s name picked out immediately and both knew it was perfect - this time we’re stuck. I am quietly hoping it’s a boy just so we don’t have this problem! (we have a boys name picked)

[name]Love[/name] [name]Sadie[/name]!! Think it would be perfect in your sib set…maybe you can talk Dh into it? hehe

You’re pretty much right about names being anything goes over here. I’ve seen/heard plenty that are very out-there! I really like [name]Izzy[/name] with [name]Abby[/name]. Some other names that end in the -ee sound:

[name]Lizzy[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Circe[/name]
[name]Evie[/name]
[name]Josie[/name]
[name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]

Or maybe [name]Abby[/name] and [name]Bella[/name]?