Nicknames as Full names

Is it just me or is there a trend of using nicknames in place of the name the’re supposed to be a nickname for? I know [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is sometimes used instead of [name_m]John[/name_m] (or even [name_m]Jackson[/name_m]) but [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] or [name_u]Sandy[/name_u]? What do you think of using nicknames as proper first names?

I think many nicknames stand well on their own and I think it is fine to use them. I do prefer to name the child what we would be calling him/her. [name_f]IMO[/name_f], the ones that I wouldn’t typically think of using on their own are the ones ending in the ie sound like [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] or [name_u]Sandy[/name_u] because they sound too casual to me. It is difficult to generalize so I guess I look at each name individually.

There are a lot of names that I can’t stand but absolutely love the nickname of. For example, I love [name_u]Nick[/name_u], [name_f]Gen[/name_f], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], and [name_u]Sam[/name_u], But I’m not a big fan of the full names [name_m]Nickolas[/name_m], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]/[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_m]Charles[/name_m]/[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], or [name_f]Samantha[/name_f].

I think it is perfectly okay to use a nickname as a proper first name.

Many work well.

I think some work well alone, such as [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. However, I much prefer it when people choose longer names (the full version) and use nicknames. It’s more…traditional? I guess. If people just went around thinking, “[name_m]Gee[/name_m], I’m going to use this name anyway, so that’s what the actual name will be!”, then I would’ve been named [name_f]Honey[/name_f] [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] or BooBoo. People get all whiny when I bring this up, but I firmly believe that we shouldn’t name babies…we should name adults. Meaning, choose a name that you can picture on a newborn, child, teen, adult, and old person. Cutesy works until they are like 5. On a random side note, I have the opposite opinion when it comes to people using the middle name for regular use instead of the first name (for instance calling a [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] “[name_m]David[/name_m]” or “[name_m]Dave[/name_m]” instead of [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] or [name_u]Sam[/name_u])…sort of odd I guess.

Some lovely names are technically nicknames, and it’s a very popular trend in [name_m]Britain[/name_m] right now. I think will become so normalised in the next decade or so that any issues with formality will fade away. Names like [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Gracie[/name_f], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_m]Tommy[/name_m], [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], and [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] are all in the top 100 for their gender.

This is definitely a trend, yes. Whether it works and can be carried off, I think depends very much on the name. NNs like [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] work perfectly on their own, where as something like [name_u]Andy[/name_u] very much needs a fuller version (in my opinion, anyway).

As someone whose legal name is a nickname of a full name, I have to say I would have preferred to have the full name and opted to go by the nn. It would make my life easier explaining what my name is and how to pronounce it, not to mention that I’ve had people call me the full name assuming my name is just a nn anyways. But I suppose it also depends on the specifics of the name you are considering too…