Nicknames for George?

We are very seriously considering naming our son [name_m]George[/name_m]. His older sister is [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. We want a strong, classic kingly name that can’t be easily nicknamed. It seems many names like [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Richard[/name_m] etc come with automatic nicknames. [name_m]Will[/name_m], [name_m]Jim[/name_m], [name_m]Rich[/name_m] Etc. I can’t think of anything that people will automatically call [name_m]George[/name_m]. Can you? I mean he could be [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] when little but no one would assume that his name is [name_u]Georgie[/name_u], especially when he’s older. I think?

I sometimes I wonder if I’m crazy for considering [name_m]George[/name_m]. I’m thinking people will think it’s such an old man frumpy name. But I love it. I’m not even sure why!

I adore [name_m]George[/name_m]. I personally would not use a nickname and can only think of [name_u]Georgie[/name_u]. No matter what name is chosen, you do not need to use a nickname. Most of my extended family and many of my friends (and their children) have never gone by nicknames. A few have been in situations were someone called them one and they politely told them that wasn’t their name and their name is _______. I would never call someone any other name than the name I was told. It is not my place, or anyone’s place, to do so.

I don’t think it’s an old man name at all. I think mostly of the little brother pig on Peppa Pig (I have a toddler…) and [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]George[/name_m], both of whom are very young.

[name_u]Georgie[/name_u] is possible when he’s a very little boy but I don’t think any adult is called [name_u]Georgie[/name_u], it’s very juvenile. There are no automatic nicknames for [name_m]George[/name_m], you’re right. I think you fit your criteria perfectly!

I think [name_m]Geordie[/name_m] is used in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]? I’ve also heard [name_u]Jory[/name_u], which if I’m remembering correctly is the Cornish form of [name_m]George[/name_m]. Personally I would just use [name_m]George[/name_m].

[name_m]George[/name_m] is a strong, classic, beautiful name that has stood the test of time. You should use it if you love it.
I named my son [name_m]Duncan[/name_m] so there would not be a lot of nicknaming.

[name_m]Geo[/name_m] (pronounced gee-oh), [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] when hes a baby, just G (gee)
It is kind of a grandpa name to me

[name_m]Geo[/name_m], [name_u]Jory[/name_u] (love!), [name_m]Jordy[/name_m], maybe [name_m]Gordy[/name_m] or [name_m]Joe[/name_m]?

Nice, thanks everyone!